Sign in to follow this  
Sethos

TrueGlass from TFDi - Finally a decent rain-on-windshield effect in P3D

14 minutes ago, JB3DG said:

The modification to each aircraft model requires the source files. New polygons for the rain surfaces have to be created, materials and textures assigned. Angles and other measurements will more than likely have to be made so that the rain drop motion gets correctly reflected. Wiper coverage also has to be calculated. This is highly technical stuff which only the original developers can do. I am pretty sure TFDi would love to make something that the end user can apply to every aircraft in their own hangar just like that (the logistics would be easier than having to interface with other developers) but the simulator doesn't lend itself to that.

I totally agree, which presents planes developers with the question do we implement this or create our own with the new V4.1 SDK technology?

Which takes them to the second question,  would it be that good?

And then the 3rd question, if we invest in this new technology from TFDi, pay the license and apply it to our planes, how would it affect the plane performance and stability? If something goes wrong who gives support? TFDi? Or Us?

There are lost of variables to take into consideration, so I imagine big reputation firms like PMDG would be very careful before taking any decision, so it will take a while before we see this in all our planes.

In the meantime thinking to buy the 717 :happy:

Best regards 

Simbol 

• Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, simbol said:

If something goes wrong who gives support? TFDi? Or Us?

Same could be said for FS2Crew I suppose. Rain drops or Co pilot...not much difference  as far as a 3rd party app for a 3rd party plane :)

System: MSFS2020-Premium Deluxe, ASUS Maximus XI Hero,  Intel i7-8086K o/c to 5.0GHz, Corsair AIO H115i Pro, Lian Li PC-O11D XL,MSI RTX 3080 SUPRIM 12Gb, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 SSD, 1Tb Samsung 860 EVO SSD, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200Mhz RAM, Corsair R1000X Gold PSU,Win 11 ,LG 43UD79 43" 4K IPS Panel., Airbus TCA Full Kit, Stream Deck XL.

32 minutes ago, simbol said:

I totally agree, which presents planes developers with the question do we implement this or create our own with the new V4.1 SDK technology?

Which takes them to the second question,  would it be that good?

And then the 3rd question, if we invest in this new technology from TFDi, pay the license and apply it to our planes, how would it affect the plane performance and stability? If something goes wrong who gives support? TFDi? Or Us?

There are lost of variables to take into consideration, so I imagine big reputation firms like PMDG would be very careful before taking any decision, so it will take a while before we see this in all our planes.

Best regards 

Simbol 

As far as performance goes, we have had no noticeable performance degradation. We haven't decided our licensing model yet, so for the other questions, we will provide more info in the future.

• Upvote 2

Hi Joshua,

I love the product it looks great, but as far as performance goes each individual developer would need to try this inside their own plane / product to be able to assess if it is viable, it is just a question of how well each of their planes (or other ad-don's) source code, model, logic, etc. can integrate with this new great technology.

I wish you and your team the best in the future.

Best Regards,
Simbol

9 minutes ago, Travelling_Wilbury said:

Same could be said for FS2Crew I suppose. Rain drops or Co pilot...not much difference  as far as a 3rd party app for a 3rd party plane :)

It think this is a different beast, but this is just my personal opinion as developer.

Best Regards,
Simbol

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, simbol said:

Best regards 

Simbol 

I took the plunge and bought the 717 today. I'm sooooo used to the ngx. This is going to be a steep learning curve for me. 

Just now, branks737 said:

I took the plunge and bought the 717 today. I'm sooooo used to the ngx. This is going to be a steep learning curve for me. 

Does it come already with TrueGlass? or it hasn't been implemented yet?

Simbol.

Just now, simbol said:

Does it come already with TrueGlass? or it hasn't been implemented yet?

Simbol.

No hasn't been implemented yet. 

7 hours ago, JB3DG said:

The modification to each aircraft model requires the source files. New polygons for the rain surfaces have to be created, materials and textures assigned. Angles and other measurements will more than likely have to be made so that the rain drop motion gets correctly reflected. Wiper coverage also has to be calculated. This is highly technical stuff which only the original developers can do. I am pretty sure TFDi would love to make something that the end user can apply to every aircraft in their own hangar just like that (the logistics would be easier than having to interface with other developers) but the simulator doesn't lend itself to that.

complex stuff indeed, but not too difficult, should the decision be made to go for it.

Perhaps the question is would people pay for an upgrade to include it, how much, and would that make a profit?

I'd say yes, €5-10 per a/c would be fair (but I'd pay slightly more!), and almost certainly yes..

Kevin Firth - i9 10850K @5.2; Asus Maximus XII Hero; 32Gb Cas16 3600 DDR4; RTX3090; AutoFPS; FG mod

Beta tester for: UK2000; JustFlight; VoxATC; FSReborn; //42

xaP1VAU.png

Just now, kevinfirth said:

complex stuff indeed, but not too difficult, should the decision be made to go for it.

Perhaps the question is would people pay for an upgrade to include it, how much, and would that make a profit?

I'd say yes, €5-10 per a/c would be fair (but I'd pay slightly more!), and almost certainly yes..

I think your pricing references are way too low, I would think the prices could be something around €15 to €20 per Aircraft if not more, sorry but it is more realistic considering that you need to pay the license to TFDi and spend a considerable amount of time developing and implementing their technology on your particular plane, then you have the cost of testing, marketing, etc.

Just imagine the amount of work TDFi have placed into this technology, the results clearly are amazing so their effort and time must have been very sustancial, assuming a 50% / 50% split between TDFi and any developer to use their technology, you are suggesting that this TFDi product is worth €2,5 to €5 per user? surely that is way too low, their work is much more valuable than that.

Just imagine that you were going to buy their effects as an Add-on for your simulator, how much would you pay? there are single AI models on sale inside Sim market for €15.

NOTE: These are just speculations as we have no information or details of the TFDi licencing model, pricing, etc. and surely such information will be discussed in private with each interested company.

Best Regards,

Simbol

23 minutes ago, simbol said:

I think your pricing references are way too low, I would think the prices could be something around €15 to €20 per Aircraft if not more, sorry but it is more realistic considering that you need to pay the license to TFDi and spend a considerable amount of time developing and implementing their technology on your particular plane, then you have the cost of testing, marketing, etc.

Just imagine the amount of work TDFi have placed into this technology, the results clearly are amazing so their effort and time must have been very sustancial, assuming a 50% / 50% split between TDFi and any developer to use their technology, you are suggesting that this TFDi product is worth €2,5 to €5 per user? surely that is way too low, their work is much more valuable than that.

Just imagine that you were going to buy their effects as an Add-on for your simulator, how much would you pay? there are single AI models on sale inside Sim market for €15.

NOTE: These are just speculations as we have no information or details of the TFDi licencing model, pricing, etc. and surely such information will be discussed in private with each interested company.

Best Regards,

Simbol

Well great, let them charge what they wish. I don't disagree that TFDi deserve a paycheck for their work. Nor do I disagree that ind devs who need to make modifications to models deserve recompense.  the key for me is in 2 factors.  First, volume. If it were a standalone product I'd pay more, but I'm not going to pay over the odds multiple times for this.  The likely volume of sales/licences at a reasonable price will pay a return admirably Im sure.  Second, workload. I've followed the parallel thread at fsdeveloper, this is something long in the making for sure.  Perhaps a 50:50 split between a/c devs and TFDi is unequitable?

I dont know...maybe I would pay a little more, at the end of the day its a nice to have, not an at any price, improvement.

Just saying I think theres a good and profitable market without trying to gouge it :)

Kevin Firth - i9 10850K @5.2; Asus Maximus XII Hero; 32Gb Cas16 3600 DDR4; RTX3090; AutoFPS; FG mod

Beta tester for: UK2000; JustFlight; VoxATC; FSReborn; //42

xaP1VAU.png

On 10/9/2017 at 6:15 AM, branks737 said:

Its a Boeing.  Not that steep of curve.  now going from NGX to Majestic is a curve.  lol.

• Upvote 1

Jason Weaver - WestWind Airlines; FlyUK Airlines; VirtualUnited.org

5.jpg

Banner_MJC12.png

It actually differs from the 'traditional' Boeing setup/FMC etc.
If you've flown the MD-11 you might be more familiar.

Best regards,
--Anders Bermann--

Pilot-ID: SAS2471