Sign in to follow this  
Nighthwk

Majestic Dash 8 Q400 coming October 23 for P3D v4

Smooth vr is hard to achieve in 2017 with an airliner in P3d v4.x I've probably got a hundred hours of VR time in the PMDG 737/747/777 in this sim. It's very flyable, but not truly smooth.

the A320 is just not up for VR yet, firstly it crashes when you try, and secondly it's just too resource hungry for serious VR flying.

The Q400 beats them all. It's just a beautiful flying experience all round, I can even turn up some of the eye candy that I normally have to live without. The panel and the overhead look great, and the sensation of flying, which I notice much more in VR, is superb. 

If you haven't tried this, and you have a decent computer, I'd suggest buying a second hand dk2 - these are now dirt cheap - and trying it out. That's how i started, and got the vr bug. Of course, it'll be even better with a cv1, but flying with any HMD with this aircraft will be a great experience.

• Upvote 1

Oz

xdQCeNi.jpg   puHyX98.jpg

Sim Rig: MSI RTX3090 Suprim, an old, partly-melted Intel 9900K @ 5GHz+, Honeycomb Alpha, Thrustmaster TPR Rudder, Warthog HOTAS, Reverb G2, Prosim 737 cockpit. 

Currently flying: MSFS: PMDG 737-700, Fenix A320, Leonardo MD-82, MIlviz C310, Flysimware C414AW, DC Concorde, Carenado C337. Prepar3d v5: PMDG 737/747/777.

"There are three simple rules for making a smooth landing. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are."

18 hours ago, Ebs said:

Just loaded the Pro version up for the first time in 4.1 and wow, I forgot just how gorgeous the Q400 is. Majestic in more ways than one! also, FPS are double what they are in the FSL A320. I really don't know how they do it.

Completely forgot how to operate it though!

Last time I flew her was back in P3D v2 before I took a sim break. I even made a video on it. I'm just watching it now to brush up (oh the irony!)

Majestic even linked to it from their Facebook page, I definitely remember that! Big thanks to crosswind and the Majestic team.

I finally got around to clicking on this link - waste of time, it just took me to the YouTube video that I have already been using as my flight bible for the past few days. Next time post something original!

(I've read lots of Ebs comments here, had no idea he was the rockstar who makes the 'fight or flight' videos, bravo!). 😊

Oz

Sim Rig: MSI RTX3090 Suprim, an old, partly-melted Intel 9900K @ 5GHz+, Honeycomb Alpha, Thrustmaster TPR Rudder, Warthog HOTAS, Reverb G2, Prosim 737 cockpit. 

Currently flying: MSFS: PMDG 737-700, Fenix A320, Leonardo MD-82, MIlviz C310, Flysimware C414AW, DC Concorde, Carenado C337. Prepar3d v5: PMDG 737/747/777.

"There are three simple rules for making a smooth landing. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are."

15 minutes ago, OzWhitey said:

Ebs comments here, had no idea he was the rockstar who makes the 'fight or flight' videos, bravo!

Cal has many talents, good to seem him back in the game and posting again.

Cheers, Rob.

EDIT: As I posted earlier, if you really want to know the ins/outs of the Q, then https://www.airline2sim.com/ has some excellent videos from RW Q pilots.

@JYW, @OzWhitey thanks so much for the kind words! I'm really proud of the vids I made they just take soooooo long to research, make and edit that I really don't have much time these days. You never know though! ;)

@Rob Ainscough haha, you swine ;)

• Upvote 2

Neil Andrews.

Fight or Flight - YouTube | Twitter

2 hours ago, Rob Ainscough said:

Cal has many talents, good to seem him back in the game and posting again.

Cheers, Rob.

EDIT: As I posted earlier, if you really want to know the ins/outs of the Q, then https://www.airline2sim.com/ has some excellent videos from RW Q pilots.

Sure, I've only heard good things about airline2sim. I've been holding off on the Q400 until they released a P3D v4 version. In hindsight, no real need, as their upgrade pricing was very fair. But you never know, some manufacturers charge you the full FSX price plus a little bit extra. :blink:

Now that I'm belatedly on board with this fine aircraft, I will definitely plan to try out the Airline2Sim product.

Oz

16 hours ago, DaveCT2003 said:

...the only aircraft in flight sim that I've flown in 30 years that handles like a real aircraft. This due to the Dash being the only aircraft in flight sim that uses an external flight model (created by NASA).

Dave,

So true. I finally installed the Dash in 4.1 last night and took 4 or 5 laps around KEGE, each one to full-stop. I had forgotten how realistic are the flight characteristics of this addon. The PMDG birds are good, and the only A2A plane I have, Cherokee 180 is also good, but the Dash is in a league of it's own. After flying Cherokees and Barons IRL, I just can't get over how REAL the Dash feels. The realism is subtle, but after my last landing, I just sat there and thought, WOW, it feels like flying a real airplane in real life. Will be spending considerable time in it from now on.

Edit: Anyone try a stall, or stall to incipient spin?

• Upvote 1

Steven_Miller.png?dl=1

i7-6700k Gigabyte GA-Z170X-UD5 32GB DDR4 2666 EVGA FTW ULTRA RTX3080 12GB

1 hour ago, OzWhitey said:

Sure, I've only heard good things about airline2sim. I've been holding off on the Q400 until they released a P3D v4 version. In hindsight, no real need, as their upgrade pricing was very fair. But you never know, some manufacturers charge you the full FSX price plus a little bit extra. :blink:

Now that I'm belatedly on board with this fine aircraft, I will definitely plan to try out the Airline2Sim product.

It's definitely worth while. I bought them after the original dash release and now revisiting them again with the v4 release. I like them allot.

- Aaron

19 hours ago, jimcarrel said:

I'm sure he was exaggerating somewhat.

Well, I have no doubt many other things are great. But, that static view is not for me. However, over all it's not an aircraft I like the way it looks. In other words, it does not attract me. On the other hand a Boeing, an Airbus, and the same CRJ, looks "inviting." Any way, just personal preferences...

2 minutes ago, joemiller said:

But, that static view is not for me.

You have several options to the Static view resolution:

1.  Create your own camera view however you like it (the joys of a very flexible FS platform)
2.  Get ChasePlane or EzDok to do the camera setup for you
3.  Edit existing cyclic and bring back the spot view

Don't quote me, but my understanding was MJC moved to Locked Spot because in FSX and older versions of P3D the Spot View resulted in stutters/jerky (for some users not all) motion due to how the Q works outside the "normal" flight model.  This no longer happens in P3D V4.x.

Now if you just don't like the MJC Q400 fair enough, then it's best to initially just come out and say you don't like it ... otherwise you'll get folks (like me and others) offering you solutions to the specific aspect you don't like (aka cameras).

Cheers, Rob.  

1 hour ago, somiller said:

Edit: Anyone try a stall, or stall to incipient spin?

I've purposely stalled it a few times and ever time a wing drops and it falls a sack of potatoes. At low altitudes I could not recover, I never experienced these flight dynamics. This plane is my favourite at the moment, I never thought I would say this as I didn't think I would like a plane more than the 737ngx, but wow. And the sounds of the turbo prop, I can listen to it all day

26 minutes ago, Rob Ainscough said:

1.  Create your own camera view however you like it (the joys of a very flexible FS platform)

Don't quote me, but my understanding was MJC moved to Locked Spot because in FSX and older versions of P3D the Spot View resulted in stutters/jerky (for some users not all) motion due to how the Q works outside the "normal" flight model.  This no longer happens in P3D V4.x.

Now if you just don't like the MJC Q400 fair enough, then it's best to initially just come out and say you don't like it ... otherwise you'll get folks (like me and others) offering you solutions to the specific aspect you don't like (aka cameras).

Cheers, Rob.  

Thank you, Rob!

1 hour ago, branks737 said:

I've purposely stalled it a few times and ever time a wing drops and it falls a sack of potatoes. At low altitudes I could not recover, I never experienced these flight dynamics. This plane is my favourite at the moment, I never thought I would say this as I didn't think I would like a plane more than the 737ngx, but wow. And the sounds of the turbo prop, I can listen to it all day

I'll give it a try tonight...I'm really curious to see it.

When I was taking lessons in a Cherokee 180 (which is utility category at certain weight and balance configs) I asked my IP to demonstrate a full spin. We did a power-on stall and he held elevator and rudder until it broke...the right wing dropped without warning (other than prop buffet on the tail) and in a split second we were upside down, nose pointing toward the ground. It literally took my breath away. He had instructed me to keep my hands and feet lightly on the controls so I could feel what inputs he was using, but when the stall snapped to incipient spin, it felt like an elevator in freefall, I took my right hand off the throttle, and my left hand off the yoke and grabbed for the bottom of my seat...unfortunately, my right hand came down on his knee. It was terribly embarrassing. He demonstrated the recovery and then had me do 4 or 5 different entries into spin, and recovery. I never totally got used to the instant snap, and sudden loss of lift.

• Upvote 1

Steven_Miller.png?dl=1

2 hours ago, Rob Ainscough said:

Cheers, Rob.  

Thanks for this tip Rob

Fly safe

Francisco Blas
Windows11 Pro ASUS Hero Z790 | Intel i9-13900K | G.SKILL 32GB DDR5 | ASUS STRIX 4090 | WD 4TB SN850X NVMe | ASUS Ryujin II AIO 360mm | Corsair AX1600i | Lian Li 011D EVO | DELL Alienware 38 G-SYNC

3 hours ago, Rob Ainscough said:

Get ChasePlane or EzDok to do the camera setup for you

Be careful with EzDok, it doesn't always play nice with the Q400

10 hours ago, Dave CBFS said:

I have controllers disabled in P3d, but assigned and calibrated via FSUIPC. If I use the 125hz option, will that cause any issues? I assume I'll just leave the axis unassigned in FSUIPC and the Q400 external fd will read the data directly? 

AFAIK in 125 Hz mode controller input comes from DirectInput so any input via FSX/P3D, such as that through FS UIPC shouldn't interfere.

ckyliu, proud supporter of ViaIntercity.com. i5 12400F, 32GB, GTX980, more in "About me" on my profile. 

support1.jpg

6 hours ago, ckyliu said:

Be careful with EzDok, it doesn't always play nice with the Q400

Yes, Ezdok can be a bit funky with the Q400. I had to adjust dynamic head movement and the inertia/G force movements down to almost nothing, or I found my view was floating all over the place. That's with the old 1.xxx whatever of Ezdok. Your mileage may vary with 2.xxx whatever the new one is that plays with P3Dv4.1.

Steven_Miller.png?dl=1