Sign in to follow this  
capt_blackwood

Which one? Which One? O.o

Hey there,

Steam's Halloween sale is upon us and there are two addons for two different games I'd like to get. Based on my budget I'm only treating myself to one. 

The first one is the Cessna 182 Skylane RG II By Carenado. From what I'm told she looks beautiful, but the physics aren't the most realistic in the world. 

The 2nd one is Viva La France for Euro Truck Simulator 2. 

Both I've had my eyes on for a while. And there's the Christmas sale as well. I am partial to the RG II since I'm not seeing sales elsewhere and Carenado doesn't have a news letter (to my knowledge)

All opinions, viewpoints etc are welcome. Thanks.

Don't be surprised if most of the replies you get on a flight simulator website might suggest going for the aircraft!!

The Carenado Cessna 182RG is great to look at, like all Carenado aircraft, although being one of their older releases (possibly a port over from FS9?) the cockpit textures are perhaps not as sharp as on their more recent releases. If you are looking for absolute realism with a 182 then you might be better considering the A2A product, although that is not an RG and sales at A2A are somewhat rare!

I have most Carenado aircraft and I don't think the flight dynamics are particularly bad but sometimes the systems replication can leave a bit to be desired although this tends to be more of an issue on some on the larger types with more complex systems rather than on the smaller GA types like the 182. As I said, if you are a stickler for realism then you might be better looking elsewhere but if you want a good looking aircraft that's fun to fly you won't go to far wrong with the Carenado 182RG at a sale price.

Bill

There are user-to-user forums for Carenado products here on AVSIM but some of the topics/posts regarding the C182T are a little dated and many negative but the product was upgraded to 2.0 so I expect it to work as advertised.  Not sure what you mean by the "physics aren't the most realistic in the world" but, like I said it was upgraded.  I'm sure the flight modelling has been updated too.  I would get it but recently purchased the recently released C172SP Skylane.  I know it works.  On the product site for the C182T, there is a link to videos made for the product.  I'm positive you can even find more videos on YouTube and that should give you an idea about the modelling before you buy.

Carenado recently had a sale and I'm sure they will have another one soon.

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

I'm going to be going to A2A's aircraft eventually. Just not now. I'm just looking for something that isn't stock at the moment. There are two maybe three A2A birds I want to get. Specifically the Cessna 182 and Piper Comanchee. I'm also concidering Concorde -X. What I meant by "physics aren't the most realistic in the world" are what scianoir started. The flight dynamics. A2A is currently out of my reach right now since my car needs attention right now. But after my car is happy. I'll grab their 182. I know there are some dis-advantages to buying from FSX:SE DLC on steam, but this one I'll take since it's a small bird.

:)

As you probably know Carenado have a number of Cessna 182 variants available. The 182RG which you referred to in your first post has not been updated, as far as I know, and the cockpit textures are not quite as good as their other two variants. The 182Q has sharper and more '3D' type instrument panel textures with a conventional (steam gauge) panel and the CT182T, which I think Jim is referring to above, comes with a Garmin G1000 glass panel if you are into that. Ignoring the slightly poorer panel textures of the 182RG (although still far superior to default aircraft), they are all very enjoyable and fairly immersive to fly with pretty good sound sets and quite acceptable flight dynamics.

Bill

• Upvote 2

There's not much in it price-wise, but of the two add-ons, Vive La France is slightly cheaper and gives you a lot more bang for your buck since it adds 20,000 km of new routes, fifteen new cities and a load of new villages, plus upgrades to scenery and vegetation and new companies, industries and cargo to haul, whereas the Cessna just gives you another single to fly around in, and to be honest, there are better add-ons for FS than that Carenado one too.

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

This steam sale I went for the Cessna 182. She's a nice little bird. Next Steam Sale will be Vive La France...hopefully Italia will be out by then. The 182 RG according to the review said it was modeled from a 70s aircraft. Which isn't bad, my only gripe is that I can't suction-cup a GPS to the windshield. LOL.

• Upvote 1

I would have gotten something for American Truck Simulator, but that's just me. Couldn't ever deal with Euro Truck Simulator, but that's just me.

• Upvote 1

Captain Kevin

nGsKmfi.jpg

Air Kevin 124 heavy, wind calm, runway 4 left, cleared for take-off.

Live streams of my flights here.

I do like the American Truck Sim but the European one is far better. But I am comfortable driving both left and right hand drive and I would take Roundabouts over Stop Signs and Traffic Lights any day. Also the scenery and Truck Selection in European Truck Sim is better too.

One thing America got wrong was Stop Signs and Traffic Lights, you always have to stop for things :bengong:

Matthew Kane

16 minutes ago, Matthew Kane said:

I do like the American Truck Sim but the European one is far better. But I am comfortable driving both left and right hand drive and I would take Roundabouts over Stop Signs and Traffic Lights any day. Also the scenery and Truck Selection in European Truck Sim is better too.

One thing America got wrong was Stop Signs and Traffic Lights, you always have to stop for things :bengong:

Sure, but Euro Truck Simulator has also been around a lot longer, so naturally, there'd be a lot more to it. American Truck Simulator only came out in February of 2016. As for the choice of trucks available, that just comes down to licensing. A little difficult to include trucks if they can't get the license to do it. Of course, I also do this for a living, so that's why I'm more used to driving American trucks. Of course, lately, I haven't really spent much, if any, time in American Truck Simulator at all, so....

Captain Kevin

nGsKmfi.jpg

3 hours ago, Captain Kevin said:

Sure, but Euro Truck Simulator has also been around a lot longer, so naturally, there'd be a lot more to it. American Truck Simulator only came out in February of 2016. As for the choice of trucks available, that just comes down to licensing. A little difficult to include trucks if they can't get the license to do it. Of course, I also do this for a living, so that's why I'm more used to driving American trucks. Of course, lately, I haven't really spent much, if any, time in American Truck Simulator at all, so....

Yes I would like to see a lot more out of American Truck Sim, If they could connect LA to Chicago and north to Seattle that would make it great. I am driving the Peterbilt's which is fun but I guess they only got a licence to use Peterbilt and Kenworth from Paccar. I do like seeing options for Cummins Engines in the modifiers as well

Matthew Kane

There is an excellent "freeware" Volvo that I've customized and been driving for the past six months. I never realized just how popular Volvo was here in the U.S. until I started paying attention to them! :gaul:

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

9 hours ago, Matthew Kane said:

Yes I would like to see a lot more out of American Truck Sim, If they could connect LA to Chicago and north to Seattle that would make it great. I am driving the Peterbilt's which is fun but I guess they only got a licence to use Peterbilt and Kenworth from Paccar. I do like seeing options for Cummins Engines in the modifiers as well

They certainly plan on doing the entire country, but that's going to take time. I didn't quite do Los Angeles to Chicago, but I did Tulare to Wilmington, so I guess that's close enough. I did have to pass through Los Angeles and Bakersfield to get to Tulare, though, so I guess that counts? As for the licensing, Paccar owns Peterbilt and Kenworth, so that's why they only have the licensing for that. Freightliner, International, Mack, and others aren't part of Paccar, so Paccar can't really do anything about that.

3 minutes ago, n4gix said:

There is an excellent "freeware" Volvo that I've customized and been driving for the past six months. I never realized just how popular Volvo was here in the U.S. until I started paying attention to them! :gaul:

I could have told you that. I see them all over the place. Though I guess I also see a lot of Freightliners, too.

Captain Kevin

nGsKmfi.jpg