Jump to content

Sign in to follow this  
dth

"error creating child window"

Recommended Posts

I have a pretty high end system, with windows 10, and about a week or so ago the above error message appeared everytime I clicked on a guage or function in an fsx steam edition flight.  Everything freezes after that. 

If I don't touch anything I can continue flying!  No problem with flight sim world.  There is some mention about a windows update that may have caused this problem but nothing definitive.

Would appreciate any advice that might be out there.

Richard

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well how about that. I was just looking around the forums and I saw your post here.  I have been having the same problem lately and I might say it is annoying. It would sure be nice if anyone had a fix.


81h27z-6.png57qazaN.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We'll have to wait and see Clayton.  Still I'm glad you are having similar problems; if you know what I mean

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Now that you have mentioned the windows update it makes a lot of sense. I didn't even consider that but it may be the case. Maybe it will get fixed soon.


81h27z-6.png57qazaN.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I also had this error - after installing the W10 Creators update - for FSLabs A320, PMDG 737NGX and PMDG 744 (interestingly the MD11 and 777 were not affected) and each time had a CTD with that error message when loading any one of these airplanes.

Without me doing anything else than re-starting FSX several times, that error disappeared on its own and I made since several flights with each of these aircraft without any issues at all. 

I made sure I had the latest Nvidia graphics drivers and Windows update released after the so-called "Creators" version. 

Since I own a number of sceneries linked to FSDT scenery manager plus GSX, I ensured that all FSDT updates were downloaded and properly installed.

Good luck!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, ClaytonYosten said:

My biggest problem is in fact with the PMDG 747. I hope this can get fixed soon.

To blame PMDG for an Windows Update is wrong.  Microsoft has admitted they screwed up and will issue a fix soon.  You can also to to Windows Update and click on Recovery and go back to the previous version until Microsoft can provide a fix.


Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi all,

Go Back to a prious version is no option if the upgrade is more than 10 days ago. It's a blame on the MicroSOF update policy and and the time needed for a correction. 
FSX - error: creating childwindow
Prepar3dV4; Creating childwindow
Prepar3dV4 and FSL A320; NTDLL.DLL fail

For me a very good reason to say goodbay MicroSOF and make the change to X-PLANE 11 on my iMac
I spent a lot of money on all the MicroSOF stuff so i can put it through the drain :-((

Regards
Jo va Bra

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Jim Young said:

To blame PMDG for an Windows Update is wrong.  Microsoft has admitted they screwed up and will issue a fix soon.  You can also to to Windows Update and click on Recovery and go back to the previous version until Microsoft can provide a fix.

Hi Jim,  sorry if it sounded like I was blaming PMDG. I know it was Microsoft's problem. 

 

By the way, thanks for telling about the recovery. I didn't know it was possible. 

 

Edit: Apparently you can't backtrack. 


81h27z-6.png57qazaN.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just updated on Nov 22d so can roll back and then set my update settings to a "metered connection".   That way Windows Update won't reinstall the update immediately (this 'trick' may change soon as Microsoft looks for tricks people play on them and removes that trick). If longer than 10 days, you can try reinstalling Windows or making sure you a full backup of Windows before installing a Windows Update and restore the backup.  I personally am not going to roll back to a previous version as my P3DV4.1 works without any issues and I have had errors with FSX but only the unsupported operation error.  Only saw the creating child window once in FSX.

  • Upvote 1

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Jim Young said:

I just updated on Nov 22d so can roll back and then set my update settings to a "metered connection".   That way Windows Update won't reinstall the update immediately (this 'trick' may change soon as Microsoft looks for tricks people play on them and removes that trick). If longer than 10 days, you can try reinstalling Windows or making sure you a full backup of Windows before installing a Windows Update and restore the backup.  I personally am not going to roll back to a previous version as my P3DV4.1 works without any issues and I have had errors with FSX but only the unsupported operation error.  Only saw the creating child window once in FSX.

It has been less than 10 days so I'll try that out when I get back home. Thanks for the help!


81h27z-6.png57qazaN.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I had the same problem with this error window in P3D 3.4. It was happening when I used "Shift +" to open up a pop up windows or Shift + E for entry door.

I was fortunate enough to learn about "rolling back" to the previous windows build. I believe there was an update 11-25-17 tripping this error. Once I did the recovery, no more error.

I wish our flight sim environments were compatible with Linux OS as I am also getting very tired of dealing with "MicroSOF" as noted earlier. For now, I have disabled the update function. Don't really like doing so but I am tired of trying to find "work around" solutions to what the updates do to mess things up in my flightsim.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, raymie said:

I had the same problem with this error window in P3D 3.4. It was happening when I used "Shift +" to open up a pop up windows or Shift + E for entry door.

I was fortunate enough to learn about "rolling back" to the previous windows build. I believe there was an update 11-25-17 tripping this error. Once I did the recovery, no more error.

I wish our flight sim environments were compatible with Linux OS as I am also getting very tired of dealing with "MicroSOF" as noted earlier. For now, I have disabled the update function. Don't really like doing so but I am tired of trying to find "work around" solutions to what the updates do to mess things up in my flightsim.

It is truly frustrating. Hopefully Microsoft can find a way to not mess things up more. They might be digging a hole they can't get out of.

Clay


81h27z-6.png57qazaN.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Jim Young said:

I just updated on Nov 22d so can roll back and then set my update settings to a "metered connection".   That way Windows Update won't reinstall the update immediately (this 'trick' may change soon as Microsoft looks for tricks people play on them and removes that trick). If longer than 10 days, you can try reinstalling Windows or making sure you a full backup of Windows before installing a Windows Update and restore the backup.  I personally am not going to roll back to a previous version as my P3DV4.1 works without any issues and I have had errors with FSX but only the unsupported operation error.  Only saw the creating child window once in FSX.

Thanks for the help again. I rolled back and all of the problems went away. Everything is working just like it's supposed to.

Clay


81h27z-6.png57qazaN.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Tom Allensworth,
    Founder of AVSIM Online


  • Flight Simulation's Premier Resource!

    AVSIM is a free service to the flight simulation community. AVSIM is staffed completely by volunteers and all funds donated to AVSIM go directly back to supporting the community. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. Thank you for your support!

    Click here for more information and to see all donations year to date.
  • Donation Goals

    AVSIM's 2020 Fundraising Goal

    Donate to our annual general fundraising goal. This donation keeps our doors open and providing you service 24 x 7 x 365. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. We reset this goal every new year for the following year's goal.


    31%
    $7,750.00 of $25,000.00 Donate Now
×
×
  • Create New...