Sign in to follow this  
Guest Divergent Phugoid

CNN live: Airbus 380 maiden flight from 8:00 GMT

going on as I'm writing this (~8:10 GMT), takeoff expected within the houron CNN Europe at least...

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Takeoff has just occurred and what a magnificent sight. Simply stunning and a small slice of history in the making.The internet age is awesome. Here I am in Perth, Western Australia watching something like this live on my computer. AmazingChris Porter:-outtaPerthWestern Australia

Just about bang on time at 8.30pm NZ time. absolutely amazing. Perfect weather for flying too - Airbus Industrie opted for the "Clear all Weather" option.CheersLungs

Yup, it was 16:29 (Local) by my PC clock at rotation...Chris Porter:-outtaPerthWestern Australia

Where can we get a video of the take off ?

Thanks thanks thanks zillion times ! the link works

No that's a cool link live footage!!!CheersPHIL

Wooohoooo!!!Low and slow down the runway at Toulouse.Brilliant sight - can't wait for 2006 when Boeings arse is kicked.Andy b

>Low and slow down the runway at Toulouse.Well, I'm a bit disappointed they didn't do a victory roll at the end of it...:-hahAccording to CNN's Richard Quest she's very quiet, even when taking off...Not sure if I can trust that guy though, he's always shouting!Impressive sight anyway!Best,Martijn

>Wooohoooo!!!>>Low and slow down the runway at Toulouse.>>Brilliant sight - can't wait for 2006 when Boeings arse is>kicked.>>Andy bI work with people that fly commercially for a living on a regular basis. Not one of my co-workers, when the subject is mentioned, is showing the slighest interest in flying on the A-380. Boarding the plane with 799 other passengers and waiting to get you baggage back at the end of the flight sounds like a nightmare, to everyone I talk to . If it ain't Boeing, I'm not going.

>>Wooohoooo!!!>>>>Low and slow down the runway at Toulouse.>>>>Brilliant sight - can't wait for 2006 when Boeings arse is>>kicked.>>>>Andy b>>I work with people that fly commercially for a living on a>regular basis. Not one of my co-workers, when the subject is>mentioned, is showing the slighest interest in flying on the>A-380. Boarding the plane with 799 other passengers and>waiting to get you baggage back at the end of the flight>sounds like a nightmare, to everyone I talk to . >>If it ain't Boeing, I'm not going. >>One thing about commercial pilots, is that they all have "different" opinions. :D I'm a Boeing fan myelf, since the L-1011 is no longer used in regular US passenger service, but I do consider this event, another aviation milestone, and am personally thrilled to see it fly.L.Adamson

I hasn't taken long for this thread to descend to Airbus/Boeing abuse has it?

I'm old enough to remember when people said the same sort of thing about the 747 (numbers different of course).

Indeed - and quite frankly, as an aviation buff who appreciates ANY feat of aviation engineering, I am SICK TO DEATH of it!regards,MarkXPHomeSP2/FS9.1/3.2HT/1GIG/X700pro256

>quite frankly, as an aviation buff who appreciates ANY feat of aviation engineering, I am SICK TO DEATH of it!Yes exactly, AMEN!Wolfgang

I think this is a wonderful event for avaition, and just think about what the pilots must of felt when this baby took to the skies, and came down perfect.I watching on the BBC and when it landed a guy from "Janes" when asked what he thought of the landing answered "errr well there was some blue smoke from the tyers, but erm thats ok"Whats wrong with blue smoke?????Jason

Just watched the footage at the Airbus site (thanks Avsim for the news and links..I'd not been aware of today being the day she finally flies...oops!).Marvellous! What a majestic sight... She looks too big to be allowed, yet she takes to the air as though 400 tonnes is nothing!! Beautiful. What more can be said?

To Bob 'if it ain't Boeing I'm not going'Can I ask, if you were going on holiday,turned up at the airport and your flight was an Airbus, would you just turn round and go home??Just curious..Ian

Very impressive, but pug ugly if you ask me :) Anyway, I'm glad there is further competition in the long haul sector industry now. This is the second jolt Airbus has fired into the industry. Boeing appear very unconfident with the uncommittal vision of the 787, but ultimately, for long haul, the bigger the better when static and admin costs per flight are increasing year after year.

>Boeing appear very unconfident with the>uncommittal vision of the 787,What ???? Unconfident, uncommmittal ? Are you hallucinating ? Do you follow business news at all ? Check the last huge order (last 48 hours) from Air India and Air Canada for long range wide-body aircraft - together they ordered nwearly 150 aircraft - ALL 777 and 787.So far 787 sells like a hot cake where the sale of A380 is stuck at the same number for over a year. Michael J.WinXP-Home SP2,AMD64 3500+,Abit AV8,Radeon X800Pro,36GB Raptor,1GB PC3200,Audigy 2

Why don't some of you grow up and stop this pathetic Airbus vs Boeing bickering?!

Did you see the recent article in Aviation Week and Space Technology about the 787? Lots of completely new technology I wasn't aware of. Cabin pressurization is being supplied by electric-motor driven compressors instead of engine bleed air. No one's done that before. Anti-ice and de-ice is all electric except for engine inlets. There are other electric systems that I don't recall at the moment. Each engine will have two huge electric generators spinning. The whole aircraft will be generating something like 1000 Kva of power. It's going to be a flying Hoover Dam!

>I work with people that fly commercially for a living on a>regular basis. Not one of my co-workers, when the subject is>mentioned, is showing the slighest interest in flying on the>A-380.I think that the majority of passengers are not really interested in what aircraft they are flying, they just choose the flight that is most convenient or cheapest or gives them the most frequent flyer points or whatever. Especially the female half of the population doesn't care. Even cabin fittings within the same type of aircraft can make a bigger difference from a passenger view than two different aircraft. And long distance travel can be just awful even on a smaller jet. The airport is probably a more important factor than the aircraft. -