Sign in to follow this  
twojastara

My experience switching from 4 to 6 cores (P3D v4.1)

1 hour ago, DaveCT2003 said:

Nice reporting, excellent work. Confirms what we know about 6 cores.  As I move forward from 4 cores, I'll be allocating 4 cores to P3D and the rest to other software I'm running. I expect I will maintain about the same FPS while having a bit more processing power in reserve for other running software.

You never know dave, that CRJ of yours might even fly straight on a 6 cores. giphy.gif

• Upvote 1

14ppkc-6.png

That's surprising and disappointing at the same time, curious to see the same tests in XP11.

Marques

Ryzen 7 7700x@5.4Ghz | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360| RTX 4070 ti | 32GB Ram @5600MHZ| Crucial MX 200 M.2 500GB |Crucial MX200 SATA 500GB | HTC Vive | XIAOMI 43" 4k TV | Acer Predator 27" G-Sync | AOC 32" Freesync

It isn't surprising to me. The CPU industry hit a brick wall eight years ago, and they still haven't found a way through.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

6 hours ago, B777ER said:

This proves one thing for me (who uses a 6700 presently), not worth to upgrade yet. 

Lukasz,

Thanks for taking the time to test and present your results. I am running a 6700, and was considering the same upgrade, but was concerned whether it would be a well spent $5-$600. Boy, am I glad I haven't upgraded yet, and won't now that I've seen your results!

Thanks again for saving me the $$$.

Steven_Miller.png?dl=1

i7-6700k Gigabyte GA-Z170X-UD5 32GB DDR4 2666 EVGA FTW ULTRA RTX3080 12GB

Thank you for doing this testing.

It is clear the cash outlay has certainly not equated to an equivalent much better performance

The conclusion for me is to wait .. and wait .. and wait...

Thanks,

15 hours ago, twojastara said:

Sure, the program is VfrFlight. I was developping for few years, but couldn't continue.

Interface is pretty clunky, but it does its job.

Thanks!

Pete

Win10: 22H2 19045.2728
CPU: 9900KS at 5.5GHz
Memory: 32Gb at 3800 MHz.
GPU:  RTX 24Gb Titan
2 x 2160p projectors at 25Hz onto 200 FOV curved screen

18 hours ago, twojastara said:

Sure, the program is VfrFlight. I was developping for few years, but couldn't continue.

Interface is pretty clunky, but it does its job.

http://vfrflight.org

It looks like an interesting program. However, looking through the screenshots and documentation on the site I don't see anything about collecting performance data. Have I just missed something?

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit

57 minutes ago, vortex681 said:

It looks like an interesting program. However, looking through the screenshots and documentation on the site I don't see anything about collecting performance data. Have I just missed something?

Documentation is pretty old, but some time ago have described this 'benchmark process' in this thread:

https://www.avsim.com/forums/topic/476198-free-tool-to-find-your-fps-drops/#comment-3308931

Lukasz Kulasek

i7-8700k, RTX 2080 TI, 32 GB RAM, ASUS TUF Z370-PRO Gaming, Oculus Rift CV1

For those interested in benchmarking, FRAPS is a possibility. I don't think I've tried it with P3Dv4.1, but I did some benchmarking of v3.4 after installing on a new PC build late in 2016. Don't see why it wouldn't work with v4.1.

I won't post the link, but I just did a google search of FRAPS.

Steven_Miller.png?dl=1

i7-6700k Gigabyte GA-Z170X-UD5 32GB DDR4 2666 EVGA FTW ULTRA RTX3080 12GB

On 1/30/2018 at 0:06 PM, twojastara said:

However, what is worth notice is that standard deviation for i7-8700K is lower for around 2 fps (15%), and median is higher (12%) so it means we have more stable frame rate.

I have also noticed less bluries and faster textures and objects loading. I think that additional cores are used to process background tasks that load textures, objects and autogen. And that is confirmed with the quote from LM developer:

'The speed of the primary core will be the determining factor FPS assuming your settings have you CPU-bound. For raw FPS, less cores at a higher clock will yield better results. On the other hand, more cores will improve the speed at which new terrain textures, and autogen data load in.' (link here)

I also noticed more stable FPS when moving from 4 cores to 8, while the minimum (worst-case) framerate didn't improve that much.

Texture loading speed is massively improved though. I can slew at ridiculous speeds, then just pause for a short moment and everything comes back into focus again. On my old 4770K, you could basically go and make yourself some coffee, and the scenery still wouldn't have loaded in when you came back.

• Upvote 2

Asus Prime X370 Pro / Ryzen 7 3800X / 32 GB DDR4 3600 MHz / Gainward Ghost RTX 3060 Ti
MSFS / XP

42 minutes ago, AdvancedFollower said:

Texture loading speed is massively improved though. I can slew at ridiculous speeds, then just pause for a short moment and everything comes back into focus again. On my old 4770K, you could basically go and make yourself some coffee, and the scenery still wouldn't have loaded in when you came back.

Well, THAT is at least an improvement and worth mentioning. In my case, using still the old 3770K with DDR3 RAM, those "blurries" are the last remaining issue I have. FPS are fine, simulator is smooth in more than 90% of the cases and my settings are fairly high. But flying with more than 300kts is still not possible and sometimes, also during approach with a normal plane at around 250kts, the sim has troubles with keeping up. However, what we should never forget: usually such a big computer upgrade comes with a complete re-install of the sim. And as we know, complete re-installations sometimes cure bugs or lead to better performance simply because lots of garbage is gone, wrong settings are cured, new drivers used etc. Means: some of the improvements might be due to the new installation and not due to the better hardware. Hard to tell. I will upgrade to a 8700K soon and I will try the quick and dirty approach without installing my OS or P3D new, it will be interesting to see how this will go.

• Upvote 2

Greetings, Chris

Intel i5-13600K, 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 RAM, MSI RTX 4080 Gaming X, Windows 11 Home, MSFS

27 minutes ago, AnkH said:

... , what we should never forget: usually such a big computer upgrade comes with a complete re-install of the sim. And as we know, complete re-installations sometimes cure bugs or lead to better performance simply because lots of garbage is gone, wrong settings are cured, new drivers used etc. Means: some of the improvements might be due to the new installation and not due to the better hardware. Hard to tell.

This is so true! Two months ago, I made a hardware upgrade (i7 3820 4 Core @ 4.8  -->  i7 7820 8 Core @ 4.8) and I was blown away from performance gain ... . Meanwhile, things have settled down. It is still a performance boost, but not as magic as I thought initially.

- Harry 

i9-13900K (HT off, 5.5 GHz, Z690) - 32 GB RAM (DDR5 6400, CAS 34), RTX 3090Windows 11 Pro (1TB M.2) - MSFS 2020 (MS Store, on separate 4TB M.2).

48 minutes ago, AnkH said:

However, what we should never forget: usually such a big computer upgrade comes with a complete re-install of the sim. And as we know, complete re-installations sometimes cure bugs or lead to better performance simply because lots of garbage is gone, wrong settings are cured, new drivers used etc. 

Yes, that is true.

That is why, for my test, I have installed new motherboard drivers and updated BIOS only. No other changes were made.

Lukasz Kulasek

i7-8700k, RTX 2080 TI, 32 GB RAM, ASUS TUF Z370-PRO Gaming, Oculus Rift CV1

On 31/01/2018 at 3:15 AM, Christopher Low said:

It isn't surprising to me. The CPU industry hit a brick wall eight years ago, and they still haven't found a way through.

What’s funny is the coffeelake processors are actually the biggest leap Intel has made in a while.

It isn’t the industry hitting a brick wall in this case but a 12 year old engine not being able to take advantage of the additional resources. 

8 hours ago, AnkH said:

Well, THAT is at least an improvement and worth mentioning. In my case, using still the old 3770K with DDR3 RAM, those "blurries" are the last remaining issue I have. FPS are fine, simulator is smooth in more than 90% of the cases and my settings are fairly high. But flying with more than 300kts is still not possible and sometimes, also during approach with a normal plane at around 250kts, the sim has troubles with keeping up. However, what we should never forget: usually such a big computer upgrade comes with a complete re-install of the sim. And as we know, complete re-installations sometimes cure bugs or lead to better performance simply because lots of garbage is gone, wrong settings are cured, new drivers used etc. Means: some of the improvements might be due to the new installation and not due to the better hardware. Hard to tell. I will upgrade to a 8700K soon and I will try the quick and dirty approach without installing my OS or P3D new, it will be interesting to see how this will go.

You might get chipset issues doing that. I tried it.  Keep getting bsod

14ppkc-6.png