Sign in to follow this  
HighBypass

Congratulations SpaceX !!

Successful Falcon 9 Heavy launch! There is now a Tesla roadster in space:cool:. Watching the simultaneous landings of the two boosters back at their respective pads at the Cape was a joy to behold. Shame the camera on the barge suffered a glitch.

• Upvote 2

Mark Robinson

Part-time Ferroequinologist

Author of FLIGHT: A near-future short story (ebook available on amazon)

I made the baby cry - A2A Simulations L-049 Constellation

Sky Simulations MD-11 V2.2 Pilot. The best "lite" MD-11 money can buy (well, it's not freeware!)

Though as amazing as the launch was, the landing of those boosters just blows my mind. Hard to get a grasp on that. Like a science fiction movie. And Starman was cool!

• Upvote 4

It was amazing it was also amazing for showing us a UFO flying around the earth. They switch view fast ofc to cut the shot out but it was long enough.

Can't fake live footage from space with 2 M viewing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oQuINDpUiGc&list=WL&index=6

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

Fenix A320 Walkthrough PDF   Flightsim.to •

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip

Here's a live stream of the Astronaut sitting in the Tesla with various views streaming live.  It may not look live but it is.  The Tesla is on its way to Mars!

https://www.theverge.com/tldr/2018/2/6/16981144/spacex-tesla-falcon-heavy-roadster-live-stream

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

It does appear that they lost the center core rocket. It's nevertheless one of those successful failure types of Apollo 13 events where all the goals weren't achieved but everything turned out for the better in the end. Going always was the easy part of just about everything. Coming back is the tricky part. 

Mars. I won't be alive to see it; but I've witnessed so many great aeronautical events during my lifetime... more than I could ever have dreamed of - and I'm fine with knowing that I'll die with the knowledge that it's where we're going. 

These two Falcon 9s landing together today; that was a very pretty thing to behold. Very very pretty little things landing together indeed. To all involved and in particular to Mr. Elon  Musk; sincere congratulations!

• Upvote 2

I don't think they lost the center core rocket yet.  It was going to land on an ocean platform and heard cameras might have not been able to record the event (maybe later).  Still an awesome achievement!

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

I happened to be home and watched it live. It was pretty exciting. Don't forget. Don't panic!

Fantastic achievement. I really hope it reignites humankind ambitions to look boldly into the future and we stop believing that all of our greatest achievements in space were nearly 50 years ago.

Bring on the SpaceX BFR 

Stephen

Asus Z170 Deluxe, 32 GB DDR4 Dominator Platinum, i7 6700k mild overclock, GTX Titan ( Pascal ) Win10

I watched live from my driveway. The Cape is 76 miles away but the view was fantastic. Better than any shuttle launch I can remember. Go BFR.........Doug

• Upvote 1

Intel 10700K @ 5.1Ghz, Asus Hero Maximus motherboard, Noctua NH-U12A cooler, Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB 3200 MHz RAM, RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, 100TB of disk storage. Klaatu barada nickto.

Agree, if we stop the quest for discovery, not really much point in living.  Great to see such achievements.

Jim, I know you believe the earth is flat or else where would all the golf balls go?  haha

3 hours ago, CYXR said:

Mars. I won't be alive to see it

Yah never know, humans are living longer and there is some very interesting genetic engineering results that are beneficial to humans, unfortunately (or fortunately -- guess it depends on your perspective) much of the research is happening outside the US due to political barriers within the US.

Cheers, Rob.

Great achievement. And that Tesla in space just made my chuckle. 

Pawel Grochowski

8LRyGFr.png  

5 hours ago, Jim Young said:

I don't think they lost the center core rocket yet.  It was going to land on an ocean platform and heard cameras might have not been able to record the event (maybe later).  Still an awesome achievement!

It's confirmed, the centre core didn't make it.

Musk did not spend much time during his post-launch news conference discussing the actual flight of the Falcon Heavy, but he did provide a few details. The center core did not safely return to Earth because two of its three engines failed to light during the landing burn. So, Musk said, it slammed into the ocean at 300mph, throwing debris onto its nearby drone ship and taking out two of the boat’s engines.

https://arstechnica.com/science/2018/02/this-may-be-the-moment-spacex-opened-the-cosmos-to-the-masses/

Very impressive achievement overall for SpaceX! As Mr. Musk said in the news conference, hopefully this leads to others trying to catch up and start a new space race.

Just a small correction here. That Tesla Roadster is not on its way to Mars. The intended trajectory was to have an aphelion (furthest point from the Sun) at roughly the distance of Mars orbit. However, I have since seen reports that the launch vehicle has given it enough orbital energy to take it out to the asteroid belt.

• Upvote 1

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Boy, those Tesla's can really shift in reverse can't they.