Recommended Posts

Hi

I understand this is probably not used by many in the Prepar3d world, but I like to use the built-in ATC. It's always worked - until now! Now, whatever I have the frequency set to, all the options listed in the radio box are greyed out. To be honest, I don't normally manually change the frequency since there is an option to automatically do it, but that it also greyed out now... In fact, all the transmission options are greyed out. It even stays that way when I set the COM1 to the frequency of the local airport I'm trying to talk to.

The only thing that I've changed on my system lately is that I installed the full version of FSUIPC, but I have made no changes to what was installed, and I can't see anything in there that would have an impact on the radio.

There is a screenshot of the cockpit settings in the link below - although it's hard to tell the ATC options are greyed out, they don't work.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/5hWdoehvndM2HxQM8

I would love any help. Thanks, Gaz

Share this post


Link to post
Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Best regards

Share this post


Link to post

Double check all the electric breakers and radio switches etc. Maybe the radio is not powered up?

Share this post


Link to post

Known bug in P3Dv4.21. Will be fixed in P3Dv4.3 soon

Cheers

Share this post


Link to post
9 minutes ago, ppo said:

Known bug in P3Dv4.21. Will be fixed in P3Dv4.3 soon

I'm confused, because it was working until the last time I used it, and as I say, I installed FSUIPC (not that I know of it having anything to do with it). Looking at it, it looks different in other ways - when I move to the Spot view and try to move the 'camera' around the aircraft, it starts and stops the move very suddenly; that's not how it was working, or how it comes out of the box.

Come to think of it - I also ran AITTP.exe (which tries to change the AI taxi speeds), so maybe it has done changes.

Why would a bug just come in when I haven't done anything to the app except install one of these programs?  Makes me suspicious!

Thanks, Gaz

Share this post


Link to post

Do a Google search and you will find a way to fix it until they come out with 4.3.

Share this post


Link to post

What I do when this happens is deleting the default scenario and creating a new one and marking that as default.

Share this post


Link to post
1 minute ago, threegreen said:

What I do when this happens is deleting the default scenario

I didn't quite have to do that, I just had to change the default scenario to the default one that came 'out of the box', if you see what I mean. I just need to remember not to change the default scenario now. 

15 minutes ago, Vineguy said:

Do a Google search

Thanks for that. I should always be doing it, but I forgot. Anyway, the Google search pointing me to a discussion on the Prepar3d.com forum talking about what is the default scenario, so I appreciate it - problem fixed!

Gaz

Share this post


Link to post
7 minutes ago, Gary McCluskey said:

I didn't quite have to do that, I just had to change the default scenario to the default one that came 'out of the box', if you see what I mean. I just need to remember not to change the default scenario now. 

I didn't change mine and it still greys out from time to time. For me it's just deleting and creating a new one when it happens.

Share this post


Link to post

Delete Prepar3D.cfg file it works for me...

Share this post


Link to post

Hmmm... It's worrying really. Hopefully it will be fixed. Having said that, I don't think it's a high priority for LM. And I get the impression that not many Prepar3d users use built-in ATC. 

Maybe I'm wrong. 

Gaz

Share this post


Link to post

Hi Gary,

The problem (as we now see it) was introduced with P3Dv4.2, and was acknowledged by LM within the P3D forums as a planned correction. LM is really good at keeping their promises as best they can, so I am confident there will be fix in 4.3.

I just let P3Dv 4.2 load up into the default selection page and make my changes from there. That seems to preserve the active ATC window each time. I still do however have it greyed out with the QW 787, which for me (like you) is an important part of the sim experience.

With the (reported) imminent release of P3Dv4.3 we will soon have an answer, so like the Beatles singing words of wisdom, I'll...

...let it be! :smile:

Kind regards

Stephen

Share this post


Link to post
50 minutes ago, SpiritFlyer said:

Kind regards

Stephen

Thanks Stephen! That makes sense to me. I've set back to start at the default P3D screen, but also start at the load scenario screen, and it all works, same reason as yours, it sounds. 

Prepar3d is pretty new to me. So they release updates with an easy install, or is it a big thing?

Gaz 

Share this post


Link to post
44 minutes ago, Gary McCluskey said:

Thanks Stephen! That makes sense to me. I've set back to start at the default P3D screen, but also start at the load scenario screen, and it all works, same reason as yours, it sounds. 

Prepar3d is pretty new to me. So they release updates with an easy install, or is it a big thing?

Gaz 

Hi Gaz,

Nice to meet you. :cool:

Updates are rather formal, but all we have to do is follow their procedures to the letter in what to uninstall and in downloading and reinstallation. Don't worry, there will be lots of people around to grab onto their coattails!

I always say I am going to wait to see what happens to others and play it safe and not be an early adopter, then I get excited and jump headfirst at the first hint of release! So, we will see what we will see when we first see it, you see?

Kind regards,

Stephen

 

Share this post


Link to post

Standard "out of the box" features that stop working properly with version upgrades is one of the most annoying issues that I can imagine. It does not inspire confidence when a user is considering upgrade options.

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, SpiritFlyer said:

I always say I am going to wait to see what happens to others and play it safe

Interesting - I am the opposite, and the guy I live with hates it when I update all my apps on my Android phone on the day they are released, without reading what the update is good for, or will it cause damage (which is why he waits). Interestingly, I have my 6 weeks of radiotherapy coming up, so if anything is released during then, I probably won't be around to update my system, anyway.  I think you are right, though. 

1 hour ago, Christopher Low said:

Standard "out of the box" features that stop working properly with version upgrades is one of the most annoying issues that I can imagine. It does not inspire confidence when a user is considering upgrade options.

Yep - I keep being told that, and you're right! 😱

Thanks to both of you, and I know you're right. Gaz

Share this post


Link to post

Oh well, bad news. I followed my advice to get it working the other day (...and it had worked), but today it has not.

I was using x-plane before because I liked it, but hated the ATC (if you would consider there being one at all!). Now I'm looking at P3D as not having ATC that works at all for me.  I'm going to stay positive about it, though, as hope it's fixed.

Gaz

Share this post


Link to post
On 6/25/2018 at 3:01 PM, Gary McCluskey said:

Oh well, bad news. I followed my advice to get it working the other day (...and it had worked), but today it has not.

I was using x-plane before because I liked it, but hated the ATC (if you would consider there being one at all!). Now I'm looking at P3D as not having ATC that works at all for me.  I'm going to stay positive about it, though, as hope it's fixed.

Gaz

It is fixed. P3D v4.3 is out and has a fix for this: "Fixed issue that could cause the ATC window to be disabled unexpectedly."

https://prepar3d.com/news/2018/06/114765/

I'm with you here, started to become pretty annoying lately.

Share this post


Link to post
36 minutes ago, threegreen said:

I'm with you here, started to become pretty annoying lately.

Yeah, I know what you mean. I have only tried it once since the upgrade, and it worked great, like you say.  I now have to think about the maps-problem I've got! It's like I never fly, I am always trying to set up a good flight simulator, lol !

Gaz

Share this post


Link to post

ATC works reliably in 4.3.

 

Cheers
bs

Share this post


Link to post
On 6/27/2018 at 9:52 PM, Gary McCluskey said:

It's like I never fly, I am always trying to set up a good flight simulator, lol !

I know that all too well. Once I had P3D set up and created my PTA preset and all I just stopped enhancing the sim because it works and looks perfect now. Worth the time setting it up.

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now