Sign in to follow this  
Jonahbird

Microsoft voices in P2A

On 11/25/2020 at 8:17 PM, woodstock327 said:

Indeed, and it's actually quite simple:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q5KKop0TVnI&t=407s

I installed a few voice using this method.

Thanks, this appears to be working.  It's slow and very manual, but so far so good.  I've done 4 voices (but recorded everyone that still needs to be done), that should be enough for some further testing.

On 11/25/2020 at 10:08 AM, Dave-Pilot2ATC said:

Windows shows, and can itself use, both Mobile and Desktop voices.  Desktop programs, like P2A, can only use desktop voices.

There is a way to mess with the registry and convert the Mobile voices to be able to function as Desktop voices.

Dave

Dave-
This is not what I consider to be appropriate tech support for a product that costs more than the sim it's enhancing (at least the entry level version).  "Maybe if you google it just right, you'll find a solution" (which is a simpler way of saying what you just said) just doesn't cut it.

And even though @woodstock327's solution seems to be working, it's awfully manual and time consuming, it's diving pretty deep into editing the registry (which can have system killing ramifications if done incorrectly), and it's not something that those of us who purchased a product that depends on this functionality should have to be doing ourselves.  You guys should have a small utility that does it automatically. 

Hell, I'd even consider volunteering to write it for you, but unfortunately I can't code my way out of a paper bag, so I'm not qualified to do so.  

Hi there!

I would like to improve the quality of my voices (less microsoft robot) and put a more realistic one. Does anyone know which package of voice I should look for?

Thanks in advance,
CptSirWillHaze

The voices used in MFSM 2020 for their built in ATC are very good. I think they use some Azure technology.

Any chance to see this in pilot2ATC in the future? 

Those are impressive, and azure is what powers the MSFS ATC voices...but are they compatible with P2A?

Dave

Current System (Running at 4k): ASUS ROG STRIX X670E-F, Ryzen 7800X3D, RTX 4080, 55" Samsung Q80T, 32GB DDR5 6000 RAM, EVGA CLC 280mm AIO Cooler, HP Reverb G2, Brunner CLS-E NG Yoke, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS & Stick, Thrustmaster TCA Quadrant & Add-on, VirtualFly Ruddo+, TQ6+ and Yoko+, GoFlight MCP-PRO and EFIS, Skalarki FCU and MCDU

The cereproc voices are very good, I purchase one or two every time they come on sale, which seems to be often. Just google their coupon codes, they had 50% off for Black Friday, but they go on sale quite often. https://www.cereproc.com/en/buy-voices

Voices are expensive, but someone else took a tremendous amount of time to create and tweak them, and so it is what it is. I can't imagine Dave would be willing to goto extreme lengths to create and distribute a hack to get paid voices for free, and I don't blame him. P2ATC works just fine with the handful of free Microsoft voices that you can get. Everything else is a third party addon. Considering how much enjoyment I get out of using P2ATC, I'd call it a cheap investment no matter what. I've paid more for a good martini than I have for addon voices.

Edited by moespeeds

I approached crereproc, and they said that if we can commit to 6 voice purchases, they will give us 25% off. I will buy 2 for myself. Anyone else interested? 

So a couple of flights later I can see in my log file that I'm getting errors (for several of the new voices I added):

"Voice Load Error.  Attempt to use voice Susan failed.  Please set the Center voice to a different one.
System.ArgumentException: Cannot set voice. No matching voice is installed or the voice was disabled.
   at System.Speech.Synthesis.SpeechSynthesizer.SelectVoice(String name)
   at P2A_2020.modTTSGlobal.PlayATCPhrase(String Phrase, Boolean Publish, Boolean PlayBkgnd, String SugResp, EventHandler`1 SpeakCompleteEventHandler)"

Does anybody know how I can remedy this little problem?

The program attempts to load a voice and reports this error when it is unable to load it.  This is usually indicative of the voice not being installed or not being installed correctly.

Removing and reinstalling the voice will fix it in many cases.  In some cases, the voice is just not a valid SAPI5 Windows Desktop voice or it is corrupt.

Dave