Sign in to follow this  
Jonahbird

Microsoft voices in P2A

P2A uses the Windows Desktop SAPI voices.  The AWS Amazon Polly for Windows Plugin is supposed to "install" the Polly voices as SAPI voices...or at least make programs like P2A think they are dealing with SAPI voices.

That AWS plugin is apparently not always working and so you have to start/restart P2A a few times to get them working.  Once working, they usually do continue working, but as with all things running on the network, a hiccup is bound to happen and cause it to fail.

Dave

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dave-Pilot2ATC said:

That AWS plugin is apparently not always working and so you have to start/restart P2A a few times to get them working.

Is there any way to 'kickstart' them without having to restart P2A?

I think I'm having similar issues, but it's even weirder: Polly works generally but NEVER when it comes to IFR Clearance and the readback. God knows what's going on...

Once Polly is loaded in P2A, do you still have to connect to AWS to hear Polly?

Polly was working great when first installed and set up yesterday.  Today load P2A to start flight for first time with Polly and no voice?

I have tried to restart now 5 times.  Want to make sure I am not needing to open something else first?

On 9/17/2021 at 4:47 PM, knich said:

I have tried to restart now 5 times.  Want to make sure I am not needing to open something else first?

There is nothing special that you have to do (though you could test the voices themselves using Polly Player) and if it has worked before, then it should do again. Sometimes, it works first time, yet other times it may require P2A to be restarted 10+ times. If there is a way to force this, I certainly don't know it

Edited by TwoSuitz
  • Like 1

Sorry for off topic, cause I don't want to create topic for ads purpose. Aerosoft gonna release traffic plugin in 15/11/2021. Hopefully P2ATC will intergrade as well as traffic global. Once again thanks Dave for P2ATC, it's superb and worth a penny

On 5/22/2021 at 3:32 AM, Torsten Enderling said:

Hi,

in case you are (like I was) struggling with deploying more of those mobile voices into the registry I have created a small script to aid in this.

It will just browse through the ones that are installed (and can be converted into a voice that works with P2ATC) and create the registry keys accordingly.

You can find it here: CopyTTSVoices.ps1 (github.com)

Have fun! 🙂

This looks really nice, and I finally figured out how to download it, but powershell won't let me run it.  Help?

./copyttsvoices : File C:\users\abcde\onedrive\documents\fs2020\CopyTTSVoices.ps1 cannot be loaded because running
scripts is disabled on this system. For more information, see about_Execution_Policies at
https:/go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=135170.
At line:1 char:1
+ ./copyttsvoices -?
+ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    + CategoryInfo          : SecurityError: (:) [], PSSecurityException
    + FullyQualifiedErrorId : UnauthorizedAccess

On 8/14/2021 at 7:23 AM, bobsleigh44 said:

I think I'm having similar issues, but it's even weirder: Polly works generally but NEVER when it comes to IFR Clearance and the readback. God knows what's going on...

One thing to be aware of is a small number of the enumerated Amazon Poly Voices will generate an error based on what region you are in. What I suggest is test them in the Poly Player first. It might be that if you select one that isn't working P2ATC may not be detecting the error. This is just a theory, I have not confirmed it.

Mark

On 11/14/2021 at 8:10 AM, markcellis said:

One thing to be aware of is a small number of the enumerated Amazon Poly Voices will generate an error based on what region you are in. What I suggest is test them in the Poly Player first. It might be that if you select one that isn't working P2ATC may not be detecting the error. This is just a theory, I have not confirmed it.

Mark

It's weird though because some neural voices do play in the player, but are unavailable to be used when trying to access them via 3rd party apps.

I found this guide to work quite well Adding Free Voices to Pilot2ATC but with some modifications:

• I installed the all the English languages with Text-To-Speech (English Australia, Canada, Ireland, UK, US).
  • From the Registry editor, make export the registry items from this branch Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Speech_OneCore\Voices\Tokens.
    • For each file, as well as change the branch location from Speech_OneCore to Speech,
    • With Microsoft Speech Platform - Runtime Languages (Version 11) there were some additional edits needed on the branch naming, e.g. from MSTTS_V110_enAU_CatherineM to TTS_MS_EN-AU_CATHERINE_11.0.
    • Merge them into this location Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Speech\Voices\Tokens.
  • In total I have 3 "Desktop" languages UK (Hazel), US (David, Zira) and 8 mobile languages (which sound much better). With 11 English accents should offer enough variety!

Firstly thank you @Dave-Pilot2ATC for the excellent application, and I can see that you put a lot of time into the ongoing support and development of the app. It has greatly enhanced the immersion for me. I'm currently nearing the end of my trial and will be registering very shortly.

One question I have relevant to this topic is around the use of Amazon Polly voices. I've managed to get them working [generally] and I see that some others share the issue of sometimes needing to restart the app a number of times in order for the voices to work. I haven't seen if there is a solution known or planned for this. I'm sure many will agree that it is not a showstopper but it is frustrating.

Is there any known solution or planned fix/workaround? I appreciate it may not be an P2ATC issue, but hoping P2ATC can work around it.

Thanks a lot in advance!

There is no work-around that I am aware of.  Amazon's Polly for Windows is supposed to take care of making the voices work as SAPI 5 WIndows voices but there seems to be a problem with that working as it should all the time.

Dave

19 hours ago, Dave-Pilot2ATC said:

There is no work-around that I am aware of.  Amazon's Polly for Windows is supposed to take care of making the voices work as SAPI 5 WIndows voices but there seems to be a problem with that working as it should all the time.

Dave

Is it possible to put some sort of loop in the code, with say a max number of retries set in the config, to try to connect until it gets it successfully?

On 5/28/2023 at 3:57 AM, DANgerousFlyer said:

Is it possible to put some sort of loop in the code, with say a max number of retries set in the config, to try to connect until it gets it successfully?

would be really useful if this was possible, even if its a hacky fix. 

Is there a way to restart only the "voice engine" part of P2A without having to instantiate the entire application again @Dave-Pilot2ATC?

The current "workaround" is

1. Start P2A
  2. Wait for it to load
  3. Click `Config`
  4. Go to `Voices` tab
  5. `Test` one of the voices that uses Polly
  6. If no sound comes out, quit P2A
  7. Start back at 1

..sometimes you need to do this 4, 5 times...maybe more 😞

how do i install the cereproc voices to pilot2atc , a video would help  , appreciated thx