mpw8679

Task manager Prepar3D.exe

So the other day I was cruising around in my Milviz Comanche in ORBX territory.  From the beginning of the flight I was hearing this popping and static noise coming thru the speakers every once in a while.  The sim also just seemed kinda sluggish overall.  So I checked my cpu and gpu usages.  The gpu was around 50-60% and cpu was anywhere from 60% with quick spikes up to 100%.  From my understanding when u have popping and clicking noises coming thru the speakers some part of the system is being overloaded.  So I lowered a lot of the settings thinking it would help.  It did not.  So for curiosity I pulled up the task manger (windows 10) to see if I had anything hogging up the system.  Everything looked good except my P3d process showed up as prepar3d.exe (7).  I was like what the hell.  Does this mean there were 7 P3d.exe processes trying to run at the same time?  I have never seen this before.  Anyone else seen this issue?  What happened?

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

The only thing I can come up with is - when did you last check the need to dust out the inside of your case (overheating)

Just now, jimcarrel said:

The only thing I can come up with is - when did you last check the need to dust out the inside of your case (overheating)

Actually just did a full cleaning about a month ago when I installed my 1080ti SLI setup.

I suggested that because really weird things can happen when cpu starts overheating. Are you sure your power supply fully supports the draw of 2 1080's ?

* It could have been a fluke, you might reboot and it never happen again.

Edited by jimcarrel

7 minutes ago, jimcarrel said:

I suggested that because really weird things can happen when cpu starts overheating. Are you sure your power supply fully supports the draw of 2 1080's ?

* It could have been a fluke, you might reboot and it never happen again.

I installed a seasonic 1000w at the same time.  CPU temps are good.  What’s weird is this happened right after a reboot.

7 minutes ago, mpw8679 said:

Solved

How?

58 minutes ago, Nemo said:

How?

I wouldn’t say solved but anytime I load the Milviz Comanche for a flight I get the popping and clicking noises.  I also get very inconsistent frames.  Loading any A2A planes everything is good.  I am loading the comanche from the start up menu.  Maybe I need to load a default aircraft first?

2 hours ago, mpw8679 said:

Maybe I need to load a default aircraft first?

With all the more complex a/c being developed that's a really good idea. I set my default flight to the Cub at my default airport - KBUR. LOad it and then do whatever else needs doing. Haven't had startup or gauge issues since.

Vic

Just some general background info.

Though it's not very well publicized, sound works very strange in FSX and P3D, and it's tied directly to performance and as such it's often an early indication that hardware is being over taxed, although whether it's the sim doing it or not has to then be figured out.  We've seen this raise it's ugly head during Windows 10 updates, which take up so many resources that it's not worth booting up the sim on Tuesdays!

Best wishes.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, vgbaron said:

With all the more complex a/c being developed that's a really good idea. I set my default flight to the Cub at my default airport - KBUR. LOad it and then do whatever else needs doing. Haven't had startup or gauge issues since.

Vic

I will give that a try. Thank u

5 minutes ago, DaveCT2003 said:

Just some general background info.

Though it's not very well publicized, sound works very strange in FSX and P3D, and it's tied directly to performance and as such it's often an early indication that hardware is being over taxed, although whether it's the sim doing it or not has to then be figured out.  We've seen this raise it's ugly head during Windows 10 updates, which take up so many resources that it's not worth booting up the sim on Tuesdays!

Best wishes.

Ya I thought for sure it was a performance issue.  I have similar sound issues when my 1080ti’s reach 90% or above usage.  I’ll try Vic’s suggestion and report back.

9 hours ago, mpw8679 said:

... my P3d process showed up as prepar3d.exe (7).  I was like what the hell.  Does this mean there were 7 P3d.exe processes trying to run at the same time? 

This means you have 7 client processes running. Apps like Active Sky, Coatul, traffic programs, Chaseplane, etc. all are dependent on P3D to run.

1 hour ago, ZLA Steve said:

This means you have 7 client processes running. Apps like Active Sky, Coatul, traffic programs, Chaseplane, etc. all are dependent on P3D to run.

Thank u for clearing that up. Makes much more sense now

FYI apparently the new driver I installed a couple weeks ago does not play nice with my SLI setup.  I disabled SLI and problem solved.  I had to try a few older drivers to find one that played nice.  It took all day but glad I figured it out finally.  For some reason it just effected the Milviz planes a lot worse then anything else.  Not sure why.  Thanks to everyone for your help.

Video card drivers occasionally can play havoc with things. I've just obtained a good example. After I figured out the time table of the following tale, a couple of weeks ago I was running 399.24 drivers and was satisfied with them. Just recently changed to 416.81. Running the 416 will not allow my comp. to enter sleep mode. I can change back to anything prior to 400.xx and I can use sleep mode again. reload 400.xx and no sleep mode.

The thing is, i'm enamored with the 416.81, but no sleep mode is bugging me severely. We need to pass a law making it legal to have cake and eat it too.