Daedalus

FSElite Exclusive: P3D v4.4 Releasing November 28th

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Wow!. Excellent news. Would it be good to consider updating also the Content or just the Client?.

Cheers, Ed

Yep clean install here.  Thank god almost all my addons (including Flightbeam - which I managed too) are all installed outside the sim!!! Only Orbx 😞 and PMDG 😞 are installed in the sim directory.  Will require another reinstall.  Oh well.  That is some improvement. 

All of this possible only because of Lorby's tool.  He should get the award for 2018 most required addon for P3D.  I owe you few rounds of Beer...Lorby

Yay!!! Christmas early this year

Also - Everyone backup your 4.3 full installers if you have them.  I usually keep one previous release for few months before I delete.  4.3 backup will remain for like till Feb and then off it goes from backup

Edited by Skywolf
  • Upvote 2

14 minutes ago, edpatino said:

Wow!. Excellent news. Would it be good to consider updating also the Content or just the Client?.

Cheers, Ed

Not me... just the client.. :cool:

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Bert Pieke said:

Not me... just the client.. :cool:

Me too, but just asking to know if I would miss something.

Other topic: will Matt Davies update his PTA for this new P3D version?. Anybody knows?.

Cheers, Ed

I will wait and see I don't mind doing a full install if its worth it, not likely to see another upgrade till later next year.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Thanks for the heads up.

Just in time for a new PC build I'm making,  Albeit I will install P3D 4.3 now and wait for addons to be updated.

Edited by RamonB

7 minutes ago, edpatino said:

Me too, but just asking to know if I would miss something.

Other topic: will Matt Davies update his PTA for this new P3D version?. Anybody knows?.

Cheers, Ed

Is Pete on holiday again?

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

I can't wait to see the improved photo textures. What new improvements/features excite you simmers the most?

Since it's a major change to the texture rending, I/m planning to stick to Wait-And-See mode

10 minutes ago, DJJose said:

Thanks for posting, I had missed that one. That's good news. Cannot fly without it.

Cheers, Ed

24 minutes ago, DJJose said:

What new improvements/features excite you simmers the most?

I've had a look at the (long) list but found nothing that would make me get goosebumps. But hey, I'm not a developer.
Anyway I feel some excitement, as I know some developers work in secret applying new features and wait to release new stuff. FSlabs A321 anyone? 😀

12 minutes ago, Rafal said:

I've had a look at the (long) list but found nothing that would make me get goosebumps. 

Not sure if I understand PBR properly (and may be interpreting this wrongly) but wouldn't the thought of better lighting be worth it?

• Like 1

Still waiting for the removal of AA from clouds...😐

Cheers,

Mark

Unless you can come up with a seriously compelling reason not to... I would strongly recommend you do a full reinstall with v4.4.  Just my $0.02.

If you only update the client, you won't see anything PBR unless you get a 3rd party addon that uses PBR (all the PBR changes are in content, etc).  It's not JUST code.

• Like 4
  • Upvote 2

I don’t mean to be a downer, but it’s been several versions since a number of users starting seeing autogen squares loading in really late on approach, even with otherwise reasonable settings and hardware. I guess we’ll have to put that one in the “never going to be fixed” category. 🙁

Sadly, slightly shinier aircraft skin is just not going to make up for the immersion lost by that bug...

James

• Upvote 1

So, how does the implementation of PBR affect add-ons? I use third-party add-ons for pretty much everything (PMDG, FlyTampa/Flightbeam, GSX, etc) do I need to wait for them to push PBR-compliant updates before I install 4.4, or will they just operate normally?

5 minutes ago, WarpD said:

Unless you can come up with a seriously compelling reason not to... I would strongly recommend you do a full reinstall with v4.4.  Just my $0.02.

If you only update the client, you won't see anything PBR unless you get a 3rd party addon that uses PBR (all the PBR changes are in content, etc).  It's not JUST code.

really? So are you saying that all of the ORBX autogen and that kind of thing wont be PBR unless I do a total reinstall?

• Upvote 1

Even with PBR, I don't see anything spectacular in the screenshots, but maybe I am just hoping too much.

Hmmm ... interesting, exclusive?  So I guess the cats out of the NDA bag?

I'm going to recommend a wipe and full re-install, BUT that's NOT required.  No harm is doing just the client update and see what happens ... it's easy, if you do run into problems the full re-install might be beneficial.

3rd party shader products will obviously need updates due to PBR rendering

If you have the VRAM and processing power you can run PR (photoreal) at 512 or 1024 (TEXTURE_SIZE_EXP value will be used for PR as well as LC, don't need to set this value if you're fine with 512) and this will work on existing PR products "as is" ... the difference is rather dramatic, no more blurries IF you have the computing power.

PBR will require 3rd party to produce PBR aircraft/objects/buildings/vehicles/etc. old legacy models still work but obviously will not look as good as a PBR implementation ... hopefully over time vendors will produce PBR models and drop legacy FSX.

TFR can be set to 120

Airports/Objects textures no longer "unload" and "load" within specified distance (this can be expanded on even further via manual .cfg editing) if one has the processing power and VRAM and you can also increase texture memory allocation which will help keep textures around longer.

I'd highly recommend updating to this version as it brings a visual feast and some slight performance improvements when comparing apples to apples.

Hopefully I'm not in violation of NDA or exclusive information as this info is now already available.

Cheers, Rob.

• Like 13
  • Upvote 3

I know I will be doing a clean install on first day - I have a complete handle on my addons like a pro (I hope I can show you all an amazing howto on the art of P3D installs....lol).

For simmers with many addons, please plan your backups and what not, that way you are not stressed. 

I am going to stress this point -  keep your full p3d 4.3 installer files as backup-ed for now.  If things break, you can always go back to 4.3 for the time being and try again to 4.4 later.

Edited by Skywolf
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Rob Ainscough said:

Hmmm ... interesting, exclusive?  So I guess the cats out of the NDA bag?

I'm going to recommend a wipe and full re-install, BUT that's NOT required.  No harm is doing just the client update and see what happens ... it's easy, if you do run into problems the full re-install might be beneficial.

3rd party shader products will obviously need updates due to PBR rendering

If you have the VRAM and processing power you can run PR (photoreal) at 512 or 1024 (TEXTURE_SIZE_EXP value will be used for PR as well as LC, don't need to set this value if you're fine with 512) and this will work on existing PR products "as is" ... the difference is rather dramatic, no more blurries IF you have the computing power.

PBR will require 3rd party to produce PBR aircraft/objects/buildings/vehicles/etc. old legacy models still work but obviously will not look as good as a PBR implementation ... hopefully over time vendors will product PBR models and drop legacy FSX.

TFR can be set to 120

Airports/Objects textures no longer "unload" and "load" within specified distance (this can be expanded on even further via manual .cfg editing) if one has the processing power and VRAM and you can also increase texture memory allocation which will help keep textures around longer.

I'd highly recommend updating to this version as it brings a visual feast and some slight performance improvements when comparing apples to apples.

Hopefully I'm not in violation of NDA or exclusive information as this info is now already available.

Cheers, Rob.

Thanks Rob.

You have made my day . Finally PR scenery will be looking better now 😎

TFR 120 ? Wow, curious who will run P3Dv4 locked at 120 ... 🤑

regards, Gerard