karmelk

Landing altitude B747-800

Recommended Posts

Hello, maybe the topic haa already been raised in the past but I at least cannot anything to that extend and thus I am going to raise it now.

In the Fcom manual I cannot find the answer for my question which is; How and where can I set my Landing Altitude in the Boeing 747-400/800?????

Hope someone can provide the answer and for which my advanced thanks.

 

Dirk  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

4 minutes ago, karmelk said:

Hello, maybe the topic haa already been raised in the past but I at least cannot anything to that extend and thus I am going to raise it now.

In the Fcom manual I cannot find the answer for my question which is; How and where can I set my Landing Altitude in the Boeing 747-400/800?????

Hope someone can provide the answer and for which my advanced thanks.

 

Dirk  

It's an automatic function.  However if need be reference Supplemental Procedures or the Q

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Unlike the b737 which has a cruise and landing alt knob for pressuring the b747-400 or the b747-8 don’t have this as it is done automatically. There is an override function if auto fails.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Once you have a route inputted with a destination the landing altitude will be automatically provided to the pressurization controller.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, thibodba57 said:

It's an automatic function.  However if need be reference Supplemental Procedures or the Q

Hmm, I actually didn't send this, or intentionally do it anyways.  I was going to find the reference pages and hit the back button.  Anyways,. Supplemental procedures or the QRH.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/2/2018 at 6:37 PM, 1290SASRider said:

Once you have a route inputted with a destination the landing altitude will be automatically provided to the pressurization controller.

It is provided by the FMS when in automatic and you will see the landing altitude information displayed on the primary EICAS followed by AUTO.

If you push the LDG ALT switch it changes the control from automatic to manual and vice versa.

In Manual the landing altitude is set by rotating the Landing Altitude selector and you will see on the primary EICAS that the AUTO message is replaced by MAN.  The Manual selection is not normally used unless it is called for due to a 'LANDING ALT' message, or as part of a Non- Normal Checklist, such as a double FMC failure.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

...and I feel as though we should also welcome the OP to a modern jet (!) which takes care of these sort of rather basic things for you!

Rather another example of the 737 still being stuck in the 1960s, no matter how many shiny LCDs they put in the main instrument panel! 😁😉

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, skelsey said:

...and I feel as though we should also welcome the OP to a modern jet (!) which takes care of these sort of rather basic things for you!

Rather another example of the 737 still being stuck in the 1960s, no matter how many shiny LCDs they put in the main instrument panel! 😁😉

Lol Simon, thanks for calling a late 1980‘s construction as „modern“ 😂

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I recently visited the excellent Delta flight Museum in Atlanta and seeing an actual 747-400 in a museum brought a tear to my eye, very sad, though an excellent exhibition. To return to the subject in hand I should also point out there’s a procedure in the manuals for landing at an airfield not in the FMC database which instructs you how to manually set the pressurisation should you wish to play around with it.

Jon Bunting 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Ephedrin said:

Lol Simon, thanks for calling a late 1980‘s construction as „modern“ 😂

Well as a late 1980s construction myself I like to think I'm pretty modern!! 🤣

(The irony of course is that even the 30 year old -400 really is a modern jet in comparison to the 737 -- whatever Boeing might call the latest re-hash -- NG, Max, you name it -- it's fundamentally still rooted in some very antiquated gear in the name of commonality! Routinely having to set the cruise and landing altitude manually in the pressurisation system every time you go flying just seems a bit uncivilised, doesn't it? 😁)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, skelsey said:

Routinely having to set the cruise and landing altitude manually in the pressurisation system every time you go flying just seems a bit uncivilised, doesn't it? 😁)

Oh come on Simon, you know Boeing could have automated that pressurization panel decades ago but such changes impact type certifications and I doubt Ryan Air or Southwestern  wants to recertify their pilots for such things.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, jon b said:

I recently visited the excellent Delta flight Museum in Atlanta and seeing an actual 747-400 in a museum brought a tear to my eye, very sad, though an excellent exhibition. To return to the subject in hand I should also point out there’s a procedure in the manuals for landing at an airfield not in the FMC database which instructs you how to manually set the pressurisation should you wish to play around with it.

Jon Bunting 

 

Not as sad as seeing a Concorde or TSR 2 in a museum, because both of these aircraft were engineering marvels and way ahead of their time.  Incidentally, manually setting the pressurisation can result in an emergency descent if you are not careful; especially if you start messing about with the Outflow Valves in manual!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, downscc said:

Oh come on Simon, you know Boeing could have automated that pressurization panel decades ago but such changes impact type certifications and I doubt Ryan Air or Southwestern  wants to recertify their pilots for such things.

I know Dan, I know - I was just having a bit of a light-hearted dig at the 737's expense rather than being genuinely critical. Not always easy in text!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now