Entaryn

V4.4 vs V4.3 performance

Hi, I have a simple question. Hopefully it will be simple to answer. Is performance in V4.4 better than in V4.3? Thanks!

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

There are threads here suggesting it is.

See Rob's thread.

Also many say there is no FPS increase, but the PR alone is worth the update.

All my aircraft run the same FPS as before but......very strangle, my 747-8F has gained 20% FPS wise, I have no idea why one aircraft would gain like that!

Edited by Nyxx
  • Like 1

Yes. Take everything you know about P3d and throw it out the window. See Robs 78xx v4.3 vs 9900K 4.4 tests ....never mind the hardware.

In my mind, 4.4 is to 4.3 like P3d is to FSX.  ...Really, I think we're playing with 5.0 preview -or 5.0 beta.

I installed just the client; FPS stayed the same.

I did a full install of 4.4 and my FPS went up about 15% and it really surprised me. 

I have done numerous tests and reinstalled all of the addons I had in the sim prior to updating the client. 

I reccomend doing a full reinstall. 

I have a theory (not of Brontosauruses) that LM fixed the built-in frame limiter. In previous version when the frame rate was set to a number like 32, the resultant frame rate was around 26-28. For some reason with V4.4, it now matches the requested value.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, jabloomf1230 said:

I have a theory (not of Brontosauruses) that LM fixed the built-in frame limiter. In previous version when the frame rate was set to a number like 32, the resultant frame rate was around 26-28. For some reason with V4.4, it now matches the requested value.

That perhaps implies that FFTF is no longer fixed but dynamic.

I can fairly surely say the FPS are higher on my side. Other things: time will tell.

Edited by SimonC

I am able to to increase a few settings and hold the same frames and the PS textures definitely look better. I just did a client and content install and so far it’s worth it.

Joe

6 minutes ago, joepoway said:

I am able to to increase a few settings and hold the same frames and the PS textures definitely look better. I just did a client and content install and so far it’s worth it.

Joe

What do you mean by PS TEXTURES?

1 minute ago, fakeflyer737 said:

What do you mean by PS TEXTURES?

I meant Photo Scenery perhaps adding textures made it confusing sorry.

Joe

24 minutes ago, joepoway said:

I meant Photo Scenery perhaps adding textures made it confusing sorry.

Joe

Hi Joe,

Just for info nothing more Photo Scenery is "normally" referred to as Photo Real scenery and its abbreviation is PR for "photo-real". Not PS. Not having a dig or anything just to properly explain why Ron does not know what PS was.

• Upvote 1

My experience is framerates are broadly similar when unlimited, except with photo scenery at altitude I'm seeing a 20% FPS drop, although the distance scenery textures are much sharper. At low level I'm seeing no difference, and same for night flying low level over regular scenery. For the me the update is worth it for the photoscenery sharpness improvements alone, I'll probably leave it enabled now when I fly my airliner stuff. 

My quick test results are at https://www.avsim.com/forums/topic/545966-photo-scenery-in-v44/?tab=comments#comment-3933653

Edited by ckyliu

1 hour ago, Avidean said:

That perhaps implies that FFTF is no longer fixed but dynamic.

I thought about that also. If the FFTF Dynamic app doesn't get updated for 4.4 then it might confirm your assertion.

Edited by jabloomf1230

2 hours ago, Nyxx said:

Hi Joe,

Just for info nothing more Photo Scenery is "normally" referred to as Photo Real scenery and its abbreviation is PR for "photo-real". Not PS. Not having a dig or anything just to properly explain why Ron does not know what PS was.

My bad hadn't had enough coffee when I was responding 🙂 

2 hours ago, jabloomf1230 said:

I thought about that also. If the FFTF Dynamic app doesn't get updated for 4.4 then it might confirm your assertion.

It makes sense to me that LM would consider that a pressing matter in V4 since it was obvious to anyone that was paying attention that issues caused by running unlimited Frame in V4 of Prepar3D i.e. the 64bit version did not exist in V3 or V2, the 32 bit versions. So you could say that the SIM was broke when it came to running unlimited frames. Unlimited Frames, Vsync and 30hz was my go to for a stutter free sim experience in V3. Although it also worked in V4 it was accompanied by the blurries which was not the case in V3. I shelved V4 for this reason and tried out X-Plane 11 and have been with X-Plane 11 for over 6 months and loving it. It was a good hiatus because it gave me the opportunity to try XP 11.26 and get ride of the first impression I had of XP 11 when it came out. To put it bluntly the performance was awful. It has come a long way. Anyway since I've gone VR just before V4.4 was released it is of great interest to me that  P3D V4.4 runs at the Frame rate you set in the display setting and not 2/3 of that frame rate because I am sure with such a radical change in the way I use the sims the old reliable's may not apply!

Its great to have Prepar3D back on my system again and I'll say that it appears to perform noticeably better than I recall V4.3 performing but I make no claim of objectivity. Now I am enjoying Prepar3D V4.4 X-Plane 11 and AFS2 all in VR with the Samsung Odyssey+ and I can tell you there is no going back for this simmer! 😁

7 hours ago, jabloomf1230 said:

For me ,I still noticed a difference. On a situtation where FPS is ~60-65 FPS at unlimited, it drops to ~50-60 at 120 FPS limited

15 hours ago, vincentrouleau said:

For me ,I still noticed a difference. On a situtation where FPS is ~60-65 FPS at unlimited, it drops to ~50-60 at 120 FPS limited

Interesting, so now you can set a frame rate of 120. That's new. the upper limit in previous versions was 60. I know out of the box Prepar3D can do 120+ Frames per second but are you sure that that your settings and any addons installed will actually not prohibit your system reaching the target you set of 120 as apposed to you not reaching that target as a result of the frame limiter delivering a lower frame rate because of a high FFTF value which by default in previous versions is 33%.

EDIT: I'm probably wrong about the upper limit in previous version being 60. That limit is probably set by NCP depending on your displays reported maximum refresh rate. Right?

Edited by Avidean

Same fps here...

Perhaps because I reinstalled W10 + V4.3 just a couple of weeks before the V4.4 release...

So still a quiet clean system ...

Edited by GSalden

Always the same story, Gerard: 95% of the reports talking about improved performance of a novel P3D release always come from users that did a full re-install. Sorry to say, but no wonder. Even if you keep an eye on what you install and what you do not install, a P3D gets cramped with this and that and performance suffers from this. I think of myself being one of the P3D users that try to keep the installation as tidy as possible (as you) and guess what? Not a single FPS more than with 4.3. Just the other stuff (which I do like), better texture loading etc. Fair enough for me.

I have the frames locked at 31 vsync on monitor at 30hz (never could run fps unlimited vsync off just got continuos stutters )but runs smoother have all sliders to the right in the terrain and scenery objects apart from autogen distance at medium  so have seen a performance increase done a full reinstall after the client only update messed things up.

Jim

LM definitely did something with the internal frame rate limiter! I had a quick look at it. In fact 120 is now that max frame rate that can be set below unlimited regardless of your display refresh rate. Of course Vsync will limited the fps to match the Refresh rate at best.

But so long a your system can deliver the frames your fps will be the same as the Frame Rate you set in display setting.

That was not the case in previous version as many know.

So you now have a real alternative to the 1/2 refresh rate with a display that does not support 30hz.

Just set your frame rate to 30 in display setting. Perhaps you wont even need to use Vsync. I haven't checked that out yet. And make sure your setting are such that your system can deliver at least 30fps and you will get a constant 30fps at 60hz.

That's exactly the same result as the old 1/2 refresh rate method.

Definitely big changes here! It would now also seem that a constant smooth 40fps is a viable option or in my case with VR a constant 45fps at the 90hz refresh rate.

Edited by Avidean

On 12/5/2018 at 3:41 PM, jabloomf1230 said:

Sadly the opposite is the case for me. I had fps locked for a long time. Cant d so anymore on nearly no airport. 😞 If i do i dont reach the 30 fps lock anymore. Topics exits on the p3d forum about this too. Something changed here for sure but im not sure its for the good for everyone.

@Avidean may i ask where you get this info from? Seems this cant really be the case if there are multiple topics where ppl have opposite effect. Infact nothing changed here for me, i still have to use the 1/2 refresh thing to make it fluid on a 60hz monitor.

Edited by SaenchaySor