Jump to content

flotmangooner

G-sync 4k monitor

Recommended Posts

Hi,

I want to upgrade my 26" HD monitor to a 4k monitor and was wondering whether it is worth spending an extra £200-£300 on a g-sync enabled monitor or will I not see much benefit to justify such an increase in cost? 

My PC spec is :

 

Intel i7 Coffee Lake 8700K 3.7Ghz

Asus PRIME-P Z370 – Motherboard

32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 2400 Mhz Memory

Western Digital 1TB M2 NAND Solid State Drive

NVidia GTX 1080Ti

 

Many thanks 

Edited by flotmangooner
Typo

Share this post


Link to post

I´m using a Acer Predator XB321HK with G-Sync i don`t see a difference with G-Sync on or of, but this is maybee because i usually don`t reach more then 30 FPS.

 

So from my side: No it doesen`t justify the cost.  Only if you play FPS or other games with higher FPS than P3D.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, flotmangooner said:

Hi,

I want to upgrade my 26" HD monitor to a 4k monitor and was wondering whether it is worth spending an extra £200-£300 on a g-sync enabled monitor or will I not see much benefit to justify such an increase in cost? 

You don’t mention a budget or a screen size. The sweet spot for UHD is 32”. I don’t know what G-Sync does but my BenQ PD3200U doesn’t have it and it’s not a problem. I enable Vsync and triple buffering with unlimited fps. It’s great.

Either mine or the EW3270U will suit you nicely. Incidentally, they’re not 4K, they’re UHD - 3840*2160. 4K is 4096*2160.

Share this post


Link to post

According me we have a gop from 2 years with good monitor (with size 32’’) and 4K on the market with G-sync with higher size. Many from this part has 60 Hz of refresh rate what isnt good idea (100 is minimum). For me G-sync is obligatory, I have 27’’ with 144 refresh rate and Id like to change it in 2019 /20 (for 32’’) but Im waiting still for proper Hz.

Share this post


Link to post
4 hours ago, 331BK said:

I´m using a Acer Predator XB321HK with G-Sync i don`t see a difference with G-Sync on or of, but this is maybee because i usually don`t reach more then 30 FPS.

 

So from my side: No it doesen`t justify the cost.  Only if you play FPS or other games with higher FPS than P3D.

 

 

I run an ASUS PG279Q (QHD - 1440p) which is a Gsync monitor, and for P3D I'd never go back to a non-Gsync monitor. The advantage of Gsync over Vsync with a fixed refresh of say 30Hz, is that you get the same non-stuttering smoothness when your fps drops below the monitor refresh rate, where with Vsync, anytime you don't maintain fps at least as high as the refresh rate, your going to get stutters. Any recent Gsync model will work great with fps as low as 1, and as high as the monitor refresh rate.

Watch this video to see how Gsync works:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VkrJU5d2RfA

Kind Regards,

Share this post


Link to post
6 hours ago, somiller said:

I run an ASUS PG279Q (QHD - 1440p) which is a Gsync monitor, and for P3D I'd never go back to a non-Gsync monitor. The advantage of Gsync over Vsync with a fixed refresh of say 30Hz, is that you get the same non-stuttering smoothness when your fps drops below the monitor refresh rate, where with Vsync, anytime you don't maintain fps at least as high as the refresh rate, your going to get stutters. Any recent Gsync model will work great with fps as low as 1, and as high as the monitor refresh rate.

Watch this video to see how Gsync works:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VkrJU5d2RfA

Kind Regards,

Interesting i thought G-Sync only works till 30 FPS bellow that it`s not working.

Share this post


Link to post

If you are going to use this monitor for other games besides flight sim, you may want to check out the GeForce forums before you purchase.  A lot of long standing issues that haven't been fixed yet.

Share this post


Link to post
7 hours ago, somiller said:

I run an ASUS PG279Q (QHD - 1440p) which is a Gsync monitor, and for P3D I'd never go back to a non-Gsync monitor. The advantage of Gsync over Vsync with a fixed refresh of say 30Hz, is that you get the same non-stuttering smoothness when your fps drops below the monitor refresh rate, where with Vsync, anytime you don't maintain fps at least as high as the refresh rate, your going to get stutters. Any recent Gsync model will work great with fps as low as 1, and as high as the monitor refresh rate.

If G-Sync is so good why isn’t every monitor equipped with it? I did a search and found about 6 UHD ones and none from BenQ. Looking at your hardware if you had a more powerful graphics card you wouldn’t need a G-Sync monitor as the card could maintain 30fps at most places.

Even on a G-Sync monitor 5fps is not going to be a pleasant experience. I would estimate 15 as the absolute minimum to be able to successfully land an aircraft.

Share this post


Link to post

in my experience with an asus g-sync 34" you will not get any screen tearing with a g-sync monitor. this is because a g-sync monitor requests a new frame from the GPU every time it is ready not at the FPS interval. tearing is part of one frame and part of the next displaying on the monitor at the same time.
g-sync does not operate below 30FPS... there's no point. at lower refresh rates it will always complete the frame before the GPU sends a new one.

if you don't suffer from screen tearing already then that doesn't mean you won't with a new monitor especially if you are increasing the resolution which can be a significant burden on the GPU.
the benefit of a higher DPI monitor is you don't get jagggies. even with a 2K monitor you can turn AA off in P3D which in turn reduces the load on the GPU (so it can support a higher resolution).
sweet spot ATM is 2K g-sync. not so expensive as 4K too.

g-sync is expensive, that's why it doesn 't come on every monitor. probably more so the license than the actual circuits themselves. free-sync (note the name) is cheaper. some free-sync monitors actually handle g-sync fine but remain incognito... probably to bypass the license fee??

Edited by jpf

Share this post


Link to post

any of the 1440 vertical monitors

(your setup is practically the same as mine except the GPU 1080 and monitor asus rog swift pg348q)

Edited by jpf

Share this post


Link to post
21 minutes ago, jpf said:

any of the 1440 vertical monitors

(your setup is practically the same as mine except the GPU 1080 and monitor asus rog swift pg348q)

Is that the official definition of 2K or the popular description? To me 2K means 2048 horizontal resolution and I don't know of any monitor or TV that has that as its native resolution. The closest is 1920*1080 which is FullHD, not 2K.

1440 vertical resolution has a horizontal resolution of 2560 for a 16:9 panel and for a 21:9 one it's 3440. It's called QHD, not 2K.

Edited by Ray Proudfoot

Share this post


Link to post
15 hours ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

You don’t mention a budget or a screen size. The sweet spot for UHD is 32”. I don’t know what G-Sync does but my BenQ PD3200U doesn’t have it and it’s not a problem. I enable Vsync and triple buffering with unlimited fps. It’s great.

Either mine or the EW3270U will suit you nicely. Incidentally, they’re not 4K, they’re UHD - 3840*2160. 4K is 4096*2160.

OK I'm confused now Ray, not that it's an uncommon occurrence...lol

BenQ certainly markets the EW327OU as 4K, so what am I missing here..??

https://www.benq.com/en-us/monitor/video-enjoyment/ew3270u.html

I'll admit, these are uncharted waters for me when it comes to UHD/4K monitors.

BTW, what kind of frame rates do you get with your GTX 1080 Ti 11gb and your BenQ..??

I noticed in your signature you're running 32 gb of G Skill RAM, I currently have 16 gb of G Skill ripjaws DDR4 2666, would I benefit from upgrading to 32 gigs of RAM...??

You mentioned QHD, my current monitor is QHD and frankly it's pretty awesome.

Thanks.

 

Edited by SunDevil56

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

If G-Sync is so good why isn’t every monitor equipped with it? I did a search and found about 6 UHD ones and none from BenQ. Looking at your hardware if you had a more powerful graphics card you wouldn’t need a G-Sync monitor as the card could maintain 30fps at most places.

Even on a G-Sync monitor 5fps is not going to be a pleasant experience. I would estimate 15 as the absolute minimum to be able to successfully land an aircraft.

Ray,

I'm not sure why you would comment on Gsync monitors, as in you own words..." I don’t know what G-Sync does"...you clearly aren't qualified. Probably best to let those with knowledge and experience discuss Gsync monitors.

I spent my extra $300 on a monitor, and you spent your extra $300 on a video card...mine works for me, and evidently your's works for you...how bout we leave it at that.

Kind Regards,

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, jpf said:


g-sync does not operate below 30FPS

This is patently false...Gsync works perfectly at any fps at or below monitor refresh rate.

Kind Regards,

Share this post


Link to post

@SunDevil56, your confusion is not your fault. It's the fault of the companies that advertise monitors as UHD/4K as many do including BenQ.

They are different resolutions if you use the letter of the law but are fairly close so for convenience and the eye-catching '4K' all UHD monitors tend to be advertised as 4K.

But 4K in computer terms is 4096, not 4000 and certainly not 3840 which is the actual resolution of UHD. 3840*2160 to be precise. The difference is 256 pixels. Small but different nevertheless.

So the BenQ EW3270OU is a UHD monitor, not a 4K one.

Frame rates once airborne remain at 60 as I have VSync and triple buffering enabled. That locks fps to the monitor refresh rate. On the ground they vary according to airport and number of Ai but rarely less than 25-30.

No, you wouldn't benefit from 32Gb RAM unless you were running many heavy use applications alongside P3D. I bought 32Gb for future-proofing.

QHD is better than FullHD - 30% higher in fact. But UHD is 100% higher so you will see an significant difference. And the 1080Ti is more than capable of running a UHD display. Even at 60Hz the load is around 65-70%.

Share this post


Link to post
17 minutes ago, somiller said:

Ray,

I'm not sure why you would comment on Gsync monitors, as in you own words..." I don’t know what G-Sync does"...you clearly aren't qualified. Probably best to let those with knowledge and experience discuss Gsync monitors.

I spent my extra $300 on a monitor, and you spent your extra $300 on a video card...mine works for me, and evidently your's works for you...how bout we leave it at that.

Kind Regards,

I limited my comments to noting GSync monitors are few and far between and that 5fps would be unflyable irrespective of whether it was stutter free or not.

Happy to leave it at that.

Share this post


Link to post
2 minutes ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

@SunDevil56, your confusion is not your fault. It's the fault of the companies that advertise monitors as UHD/4K as many do including BenQ.

They are different resolutions if you use the letter of the law but are fairly close so for convenience and the eye-catching '4K' all UHD monitors tend to be advertised as 4K.

But 4K in computer terms is 4096, not 4000 and certainly not 3840 which is the actual resolution of UHD. 3840*2160 to be precise. The difference is 256 pixels. Small but different nevertheless.

So the BenQ EW3270OU is a UHD monitor, not a 4K one.

Frame rates once airborne remain at 60 as I have VSync and triple buffering enabled. That locks fps to the monitor refresh rate. On the ground they vary according to airport and number of Ai but rarely less than 25-30.

No, you wouldn't benefit from 32Gb RAM unless you were running many heavy use applications alongside P3D. I bought 32Gb for future-proofing.

QHD is better than FullHD - 30% higher in fact. But UHD is 100% higher so you will see an significant difference. And the 1080Ti is more than capable of running a UHD display. Even at 60Hz the load is around 65-70%.

Thanks for the info Ray, i'm looking forward to getting my BenQ, probably middle of next week. The suspense is killing me.. lol

Share this post


Link to post
4 minutes ago, SunDevil56 said:

Thanks for the info Ray, i'm looking forward to getting my BenQ, probably middle of next week. The suspense is killing me.. lol

BenQ make great monitors. You'll love it! :smile:

Share this post


Link to post

Really interesting comments guys thank you. 

I don't think my budget will extend to a 32" UHD G-Sync monitor so I am going to look for one without G-Sync. 

UHD is the primary reason for the new monitor and I think my spec will run Prepar3D well in UHD unless anyone thinks different? 

Share this post


Link to post
8 minutes ago, flotmangooner said:

Really interesting comments guys thank you. 

I don't think my budget will extend to a 32" UHD G-Sync monitor so I am going to look for one without G-Sync. 

UHD is the primary reason for the new monitor and I think my spec will run Prepar3D well in UHD unless anyone thinks different? 

A 1080Ti will be perfect for UHD. Enjoy your search. :smile:👍

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
57 minutes ago, somiller said:

This is patently false...Gsync works perfectly at any fps at or below monitor refresh rate.

Kind Regards,

I'll qualify that for you. somewhere below 40FPS a g-sync monitor will start to duplicate the same frame. below 20FPS it will produce 3 frames that are the same.

Share this post


Link to post

Hi again... Need some more advice please... 

As an experiment (in the hope of seeing what Prepar3D looks like in UHD /4k resolution), I have hooked my pc to my 55" 4k LG OLED TV, set the Prepar3D full screen resolution to 3840x2160x32, texture resolution to Ultra and set the resolution of the TV in Nvidia control panel to 3840x2160 but I cannot see any difference whatsoever to when I was running it on my HD 26" monitor. 

I have fiddled around with the graphic settings but nothing improves it. I was expecting to see something similar to the 4k videos I have watched on you tube and can't understand why I'm not seeing any difference. 

Could it be that the TV is simply too big? (I am sitting about 10 feet away from the screen? 

I wanted to show the wife why I want to upgrade to a 4k monitor but she isn't convinced.... 

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. 

 

Share this post


Link to post

@flotmangooner, what's the Windows desktop resolution? I have a feeling P3D in full-screen mode cannot run a higher resolution than that set in Windows. Right-click the desktop, choose Display Settings and see what the Resolution is there. You should also sit closer. Try 3-4ft.

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

@flotmangooner, what's the Windows desktop resolution? I have a feeling P3D in full-screen mode cannot run a higher resolution than that set in Windows. Right-click the desktop, choose Display Settings and see what the Resolution is there. You should also sit closer. Try 3-4ft.

Hi Ray, 

Problem resolved.... 

Desktop resolution was set to 4K but when I first connected the PC to the TV (using a spare HDMI slot) I didn't see anything so I took out the HDMI cable I use for Sky and put the PC HDMI cable in that socket and I then got the desktop on the TV. I then started Prepar3D but it wasn't in 4K which prompted my question earlier. 

The issue was simply resolved by me restarting the PC. Prepar3D was then in 4K which looked simply STUNNING. Even the wife was impressed. 

I had a quick flight out of KSEA and with most of the sliders set to their highest, I was still getting 25-30 fps from the spot view looking from the side/downwards. 

This has made my mind up to get a UHD monitor and will go for a 32" as you recommend. 

One other question ehi h you may know the answer to - I like plenty of animations at airports and saw a video on you tube recently where passengers were actually walking to and from the aircraft. Any idea what software package includes such animations? 

Thanks for your help

 

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...