rsrandazzo

[05JAN19] Quick NOTAM for P3D 4.0-4.3 users of the 747

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

Captains,

We have had a few reports tonight from Prepar3D 4.0-4.3 users that updating their PMDG 747 QOTSII product to build 3.00.9193 causes the 747 to "load up dead" in the sim.  (Meaning:  No screens, no gear and no countdown timer to signal that the airplane is initializing.)

Interestingly, Kyle had this same thing happen to him tonight when testing for our rainmaker update, and we have been investigating ever since.  We have been investigating all night- and haven't reached any conclusions yet.

What we know, is that for Kyle, and for a few other users, upgrading to Prepar3D v4.4 cured the problem and returned them to normal operation

This is curious, given that many of us on the development team have been using v4.2 and v4.3 throughout testing.  (I upgraded my installation to 4.4 only last night when we knew we were closing development on this update, and I never had any issues with the 747 at all.)

Currently I am looking for input from two members of the development team who I don't expect to see until Monday- so it might take a few days for us to sort this out.  The good news is that simply updating from 4.x to 4.4 appears to cure the issue and should put you on your way.

It will also put you a bit ahead of the game because the pending update to include PBR in Prepar3D v4 will require you to be on 4.4 or newer anyway...  (I know some folks want to remain on outdated versions- but please understand that we won't be maintaining compatibility backward within v4- and also please accept my apology for apparently breaking the darn thing without giving you some warning first.  We had intended to give you a warning before doing that- but apparently **something** got inserted into this update that is linked to the 4.4 SDK and we are still trying to identify precisely what it was... )

Once I know more, I'll let you know- and if it turns out to be something easily resolved we will push it to you via update ASAP, I promise.

 

 

 

Edited by rsrandazzo
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Thanks for that sanity check. I usually don't have update or install issues. I am on v4.4 but I will reinstall the client and see what happens.

Thanks again.

Share this post


Link to post
11 minutes ago, rob roberson said:

Thanks for that sanity check. I usually don't have update or install issues. I am on v4.4 but I will reinstall the client and see what happens.

Thanks again.

Please note installing the client on top does not update the sim. The proper way is to uninstall client and install P3Dv4.4 client as per following LM forum post

 

https://www.prepar3d.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6322&t=120861

 

We see a lot of users thought they were on P3Dv4.4 but in reality they are still in P3Dv4.3 because they have not correctly updated their sim

 

 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
9 hours ago, rsrandazzo said:

Captains,

We have had a few reports tonight from Prepar3D 4.0-4.3 users that updating their PMDG 747 QOTSII product to build 3.00.9193 causes the 747 to "load up dead" in the sim.  (Meaning:  No screens, no gear and no countdown timer to signal that the airplane is initializing.)

Got the same Problem. 

Want to fly with old version but it doesnt work too. 

Share this post


Link to post
4 minutes ago, st1300rider said:

Had there been a simple notification PRIOR, I would not had "updated"

Not really sure how they could give you a notification prior when:

9 hours ago, rsrandazzo said:

This is curious, given that many of us on the development team have been using v4.2 and v4.3 throughout testing.  (I upgraded my installation to 4.4 only last night when we knew we were closing development on this update, and I never had any issues with the 747 at all.)

It appears that nobody had this issue before. If they could, I'd like to know what they were having because they can quite clearly predict the future.

Share this post


Link to post
10 minutes ago, st1300rider said:

The 747 v3 is useless now for V4. Had there been a simple notification PRIOR, I would not had "updated" Im not interested in updating to 4.4 at this juncture. This is really messed up on pmdg's part. Feeling AGITATED!!!

I can understand your frustration. I was the one on the team who caught it, because it happened to my system.

When we can predict the future, I will let you know. Until then, you'll have to accept our apologies that we fell victim to something unforeseen.

All the same, there is a workaround, and it's a less than 5 minute update to v4.4. I wouldn't call this unreasonable, as the client-only install is incredibly quick, and it's not like 4.4 has proven to be unstable. Had we asked you to do this right after 4.4 released, I'd be more inclined to agree.

After all...I didn't update to 4.4 until last night, so I get it, to a certain degree. All the same, there's no real downside to the move here.

  • Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post

I appreciate that Kyle. In my case there are some outstanding issues that have been reported with the 4.4 update concerning with "other" developers. Some minor, some glaring. So I will just hold out until there are reasonable fixes. Until then, I'll wait to see how this particular problem is resolved with pmdg.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post

what about landing isuue? there's no ground effect, and flare dosn't help to reduce vertical speed effectively

Share this post


Link to post
1 minute ago, WillWang said:

what about landing isuue? there's no ground effect, and flare dosn't help to reduce vertical speed effectively

You're going to have to elaborate here.

...and also sign your posts, please.

Share this post


Link to post
2 minutes ago, scandinavian13 said:

You're going to have to elaborate here.

...and also sign your posts, please. 

When I updated 747 a couple of hours ago, I've tried 3 times landing at LROP rwy 20R, it is a disaster! Aircraft dosn't behave like it usually did(after 100ft, the ground effect will help to reduce vertical speed from -900 to around -700 when I do nothing, and a simple flare from 2.5 degree to 4 degree when 20 to 30 feet will reduce my vertical effectively to below -250 before update), and now it feels like 747 dosn't have any ground effect at all, and flare from 2.5 degree to 5 degree dosn't help to reduce vertical speed. airplane touch down heavily whit 5 degree pitch up! I tried 3 times, max loaded, and 16000kgs feul. last time when 50 call out, I raise the nose to 5 degree even more, the vertical speed just don't reduce like the 748F before update. I hople you look into it. I tried 3 time, first time is after I upated from OC, 2nd and 3rd  time I uninstall 747 entirelly and download new files from PMDG to install. And result is the same, I even pull up to 7 degree after 30ft, and airplane still hit the ground heavily.

Share this post


Link to post

Last night I updated to 9193, flew, all good, this morning one more update 9194, but only for 744 (I updated)....748 is still 9193....is that ok?

 

Thanks

Share this post


Link to post
12 minutes ago, cyyzrwy24 said:

Last night I updated to 9193, flew, all good, this morning one more update 9194, but only for 744 (I updated)....748 is still 9193....is that ok?

 

Thanks

Yes the update was for the 744 P3Dv4 only

Share this post


Link to post
1 minute ago, Olympic260 said:

Yes the update was for the 744 P3Dv4 only

Thank you....

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)
56 minutes ago, WillWang said:

what about landing isuue? there's no ground effect, and flare dosn't help to reduce vertical speed effectively

Landing is fine. I have done 2 landing one was -136 and one was -85. You did read the Change log didn’t you?

You were also asked to add your real name to your Sig. you must of not read that also 🙂

Edited by Nyxx

Share this post


Link to post

Thanks for the reminder Chris. All sorted. Ok my way to OMDB...

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Nyxx said:

Landing is fine. I have done 2 landing one was -136 and one was -85. You did read the Change log didn’t you?

You were also asked to add your real name to your Sig. you must of not read that also

Please tell me which aircraft you land, 747-400 or 747-8? my prolbem is with 748. And I go over the change log, still don't find anything of air dynamic changes.

by the way, I never use FD when landing. 

thank you for remind me of Sig.

Edited by WillWang

Share this post


Link to post

Hi, look for fix 0007294.

 

Best. 

Miquel Egea.

Share this post


Link to post
18 minutes ago, WillWang said:

Please tell me which aircraft you land, 747-400 or 747-8? my prolbem is with 748. And I go over the change log, still don't find anything of air dynamic changes.

by the way, I never use FD when landing. 

thank you for remind me of Sig.

Wilhelm, are you disconnecting A/T when you disconnect A/P in the -8?  This is the recommended procedure, and if you are not reducing thrust at 30 AGL then you will have the problems you described.

Share this post


Link to post

Gents,

A gentle nudge about "hijacking" a thread.

This thread is not a general discussion of any issue you can think of.  If you have something to ask or say that is unrelated to the topic in this thread, please start a thread of your own.

It will allow others to benefit from the general discourse.

 

Share this post


Link to post
11 minutes ago, downscc said:

Wilhelm, are you disconnecting A/T when you disconnect A/P in the -8?  This is the recommended procedure, and if you are not reducing thrust at 30 AGL then you will have the problems you described.

thank you for provide information. I fly 748F with max payload for over 2 months, and yes, I disconnect A/T when I disconnect A/P when landing, and yes when I start flare, I reduce thrust to idle gentlely. these are not problem. you should try to land a updateed 748F, you will see now it is a different airplane.

Share this post


Link to post
3 minutes ago, rsrandazzo said:

Gents,

A gentle nudge about "hijacking" a thread.

This thread is not a general discussion of any issue you can think of.  If you have something to ask or say that is unrelated to the topic in this thread, please start a thread of your own.

It will allow others to benefit from the general discourse. 

 

Sorry for that, I am so anxious because I really love this plane. and I send you a message about this

Sorry again for "hijacking"

Share this post


Link to post
1 minute ago, WillWang said:

thank you for provide information. I fly 748F with max payload for over 2 months, and yes, I disconnect A/T when I disconnect A/P when landing, and yes when I start flare, I reduce thrust to idle gentlely. these are not problem. you should try to land a updateed 748F, you will see now it is a different airplane.

I beta tested the -8F and I did not see any difference in landing. Please start a new topic with a description of your problem instead of clogging up a thread that is intended to be a note on a specific issue not related to yours. Thanks.

Share this post


Link to post

Wilhelm,

Unfortunately you are victim to the fact that we had TOO much ground effect in the previous version.  By about 300%.

It will require you to adjust your technique- but if flown properly it will land correctly now.

Also:  Your initial post seemed to indicate that your technique was to not flare, but to let ground effect cushion the landing.  I hope I misunderstood that because that is NOT a good technique in this (or really any) airplane.

Hope that helps- and please do create your own thread for items that you are interested in.  This thread is not about landing, but is about folks having trouble updating to the new version.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, rsrandazzo said:

Also:  Your initial post seemed to indicate that your technique was to not flare, but to let ground effect cushion the landing.  I hope I misunderstood that because that is NOT a good technique in this (or really any) airplane.

Well, unless one likes landing half way down the runway and exploring how well airport overrun areas now work (if there is one)! 🙂

 

 

Edited by DaveCT2003
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)
19 minutes ago, rsrandazzo said:

Wilhelm,

Unfortunately you are victim to the fact that we had TOO much ground effect in the previous version.  By about 300%.

It will require you to adjust your technique- but if flown properly it will land correctly now.

Also:  Your initial post seemed to indicate that your technique was to not flare, but to let ground effect cushion the landing.  I hope I misunderstood that because that is NOT a good technique in this (or really any) airplane.

Hope that helps- and please do create your own thread for items that you are interested in.  This thread is not about landing, but is about folks having trouble updating to the new version.

 

Change log on the update.

0007294: [AFDS - General] for both 400 and -8 floating too much (emvaos) - resolved.

PMDG out by 300%? Not like you guys 🙂 unless we are talking release dates 🙂 

Edited by Nyxx

Share this post


Link to post
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.