Sign in to follow this  
Nagmaal

My experience with Ryzen 2700x & P3d v4.4

On 1/7/2019 at 9:15 AM, Nagmaal said:

I am using an AMD Ryzen 2700x. Along with a 1080ti 16 gig of 3000mhz ram and p3d on a 512mb NVME drive. 2560 x 1080 Ultrawide Monitor.

AMD calls their version of hyper threading, SMT Simultaneous multi-threading.  

When I 1st ran my system, the SMT was turned on by default. Frustrated after a week of tweaking I gave up, and figured I will wait for P3d V5 to arrive.

Somewhere, somehow something clicked and I deceived to switch it off.

A good example would be flying Flight 1’s Superking air B200 (for those who don’t know, this aircraft has a reputation of turning P3d into a slideshow when the Garmin G1000 gets turned on)  around ORBX San Diego with Active Sky & active sky cloud art. Eventex and Evenshade medium levels.

With SMT turned on I was getting 25fps max, but the frame rates were all over the place.

I even looked at overclocking but the heat was forcing my IAO water cooler to scream at full speed. I Live in South Africa so 35 to 40 degrees Celsius ambient temperature is normal in summer.)

Meanwhile my 1080ti is siting their twiddling its thumbs, waiting for something to do.

SMT Turned of, 30 to 40 fps constant. Still finding the balance but I have almost maxed all settings. I have yet to see a stutter and the CPU is running 20deg colder. Loading times changed from 12 to 13 minutes to 2 to 3 minutes.

Just thought I would share my experience with anybody in the same situation.

Or even someone frightened by Intel’s recent prices. The 2700x works for me, it might for you as well.

Hi there,

Thanks for sharing your experience. I have a 1080ti and I'm really considering going with Ryzen, but it is being difficult to go through forums and see people only considering Intel.

I plan on using both XP11 and P3D and a few ORBX sceneries. I'm not FPS crazy person, I just want smooth flying. The sim PC will be mostly dedicated to the simulator + an extra screen for a touch GTN 750 panel. I have a proper cockpit built, but gauges are run in 3 raspberry, so the gauges loading is shared on these 3.

I was waiting for the new releases so prices will drop a bit and I can consider the 2700x.

Since the post was in January, would you comment any findings you had since then?

Thanks again.

Best Regards,

Filipe

On 6/17/2019 at 3:18 PM, flbessa said:

Hi there,

Thanks for sharing your experience. I have a 1080ti and I'm really considering going with Ryzen, but it is being difficult to go through forums and see people only considering Intel.

I plan on using both XP11 and P3D and a few ORBX sceneries. I'm not FPS crazy person, I just want smooth flying. The sim PC will be mostly dedicated to the simulator + an extra screen for a touch GTN 750 panel. I have a proper cockpit built, but gauges are run in 3 raspberry, so the gauges loading is shared on these 3.

I was waiting for the new releases so prices will drop a bit and I can consider the 2700x.

Since the post was in January, would you comment any findings you had since then?

Thanks again.

Best Regards,

Filipe

Still enjoying the 2700x very much. I fly the Flight 1 King air and it is more performance hungry then even the A2A OR PMDG aircraft. I rarely see frame rates below 25fps, if ever. And this even includes the scenery I am developing myself. 

If I was you I would consider the the new Ryzen CPU's if their in your budget. If Rumors are true they are going to be beasts. 

For a long time Intel was the only good option, but AMD is taking the lead with CPU development & things are changing fast, & Intel CPU's are getting harder to justify for flight simming. 

• Upvote 1

I realize this thread is a bit dated but it touches on something I am dealing with right now.  I have a PC pretty much dedicated to flying a PMDG 737 with P3D v4.5. Also running ASN and Pilot2ATC. Intel core i5-7500 3.40GHz, 16GB DDR4-2133 RAM, 1TB HDD + 250GB SSD.  Windows 10 64-bit.  3 monitors, primary is 1440p connected with DP, 2nd is 1080 with HDMI and 3rd is 1080 DVI.  But I can easily get by with two.  I upgraded from a GTX 1060 6GB to an RTX 2060 6GB and really expected to be able to increase air and ground traffic, scenery density, etc.  When I changed everything to either high or ultra my fps was in the teens.  So now I'm back to basically medium to high settings across the board and it's running fine. GC upgrade works quite nicely with my new 1440p monitor but the RTX without any other upgrades proved to be a disappointment.  I am learning now the CPU is the bottleneck preventing better performance.  For me that means a new motherboard and improved cooling also.  Much research being done.  I'm not great with computers and talk of overclocking, BIAS, and voltage changes leave me in the dust.  AMD processors are looking appealing to me, a new gen is due in a couple weeks.  But even the 2700X I'm told would be a nice improvement.  I like the idea of "one-click" overclocking.     

On 1/7/2019 at 6:54 AM, Guest said:

I suspect those 6 or 7ghz processors already are and have been purring away in Intel's RND labs for sometime.

You and I wish.  Near as I can tell w/o *special* cooling a wall has largely been hit for quite some time now w/ regard to clock speed.  Even my 6 y/o SB-E chip does 4.42Ghz on all 6 cores--all we've seen in terms of increases in all-core clock speed is a measly half a gHz in 6y now w/ I9-9900K(S).  This is why we clamor for better multi-core utilization for flight simulations because there is very little upside thru higher clock speeds without a change in design and that one presumes will need to be an out of the box approach that hasn't yet been conceived of.  

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

On 6/23/2019 at 12:09 AM, BobKinSTL said:

I am learning now the CPU is the bottleneck preventing better performance.  For me that means a new motherboard and improved cooling also.  Much research being done.  I'm not great with computers and talk of overclocking, BIAS, and voltage changes leave me in the dust.  AMD processors are looking appealing to me, a new gen is due in a couple weeks.  But even the 2700X I'm told would be a nice improvement.  I like the idea of "one-click" overclocking.     

I would honestly get the new 3 Ryzen CPU's. They are Cpu's that beat the best Intel CPU at half the price in single core performance.

With AMD its not that hard to spec right. AM4+ works right across the board. But I would go with a new Board that has a X570 based. Something premium with good power delivery. 2x8gig of DDR 3000 ram minimum. A good cooler. 

Admittedly, md's one click overcloclking application (Rysen Master) is not one click. Its 3 clicks, wait a couple of minutes , restart, done. 😉 .

Looking at recent rumors , Intel was not expecting this , and a combination of fabrication problems and lack of innovation is costing them dearly. AMD is king right know, but i hope this stays competition. Competition breeds excellence and we the consumer become the winners.

On 6/28/2019 at 8:34 AM, Nagmaal said:

. They are Cpu's that beat the best Intel CPU at half the price in single core performance.

Think you out in the blue, no evidence at all they only bashing out the multitread results (" hint 5.4 ghz CB15 at 5.4-5.5ghz 1.77v on LN2 " ) a good 9900k 9700k do that with AIO cooling.

a 2700 do 5ghz single with -90C score 206 in CB15 9900k at 5.0ghz score 215-220.

i run one 1800X at 4.0 3600mhz c16 tested a 2700X was to little gain , shall test the Ryzen 3000 and compare them in P3D, 

It a lot rumors from suspect sites and youtubers , best to wait and see

On 6/21/2019 at 4:01 AM, Nagmaal said:

Still enjoying the 2700x very much. I fly the Flight 1 King air and it is more performance hungry then even the A2A OR PMDG aircraft. I rarely see frame rates below 25fps, if ever. And this even includes the scenery I am developing myself. 

If I was you I would consider the the new Ryzen CPU's if their in your budget. If Rumors are true they are going to be beasts. 

For a long time Intel was the only good option, but AMD is taking the lead with CPU development & things are changing fast, & Intel CPU's are getting harder to justify for flight simming. 

Thanks for your reply.

Would you mind sharing your P3D settings? I've got the Ryzen 5 2600x and now I'm at the moment to tune my settings for best fps possible with new scenarios, etc. I'm not crazy about fps though, I just want the sim to run smooth all times.. =)

I'm glad to hear you are still enjoying your Ryzen setup. I could've waited for the 3x new versions, as you suggested, but it will take time to get to Brazil and I needed a sim pc to put my home cockpit on, but nothing holds me to upgrade it afterwards.. =)

Cheers,

Filipe

On 6/30/2019 at 1:34 PM, flbessa said:

Thanks for your reply.

Would you mind sharing your P3D settings? I've got the Ryzen 5 2600x and now I'm at the moment to tune my settings for best fps possible with new scenarios, etc. I'm not crazy about fps though, I just want the sim to run smooth all times.. 😃

I'm glad to hear you are still enjoying your Ryzen setup. I could've waited for the 3x new versions, as you suggested, but it will take time to get to Brazil and I needed a sim pc to put my home cockpit on, but nothing holds me to upgrade it afterwards.. 😃

Cheers,

Filipe

I will PM  you some Screenshots of my P3d as well as my Ryzen Master Setings tonight.  

Please remember to use my settings as a starting point, because depending on your add ons results may vary. Fine tuning can take some time. 

P.s. What motherboard are you using?

nda lifted, the one i tested was a poor overclocker, stick with the 9900k for the sim.

not much gain 4,4ghz 1,45v and have hard to hit +5.0ghz even with ln2 

but its up to you if you want to uppgrade , it was a cracy hype the 5ghz rumor thing

1 hour ago, westman said:

nda lifted, the one i tested was a poor overclocker, stick with the 9900k for the sim.

not much gain 4,4ghz 1,45v and have hard to hit +5.0ghz even with ln2 

but its up to you if you want to uppgrade , it was a cracy hype the 5ghz rumor thing

Your recommendation makes no rational$$ sense unless you only use one program(p3d/fsx). Which sim: XP or P3D? You can get a 12core for the same price, or $150 cheaper for an 8 core 3700X, for a few percents performance difference. If you are using higher resolution monitor then you are going to be GPU bottled necked anyways.   

Edited by strider1
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D, 6800XT, Ram - 32GB, 32" 4K Monitor, WIN 11, XP-12 !

Eric Escobar

2 minutes ago, strider1 said:

Your recommendation makes no rational$$ sense unless you only use one program(p3d/fsx).

+1.  Just more confirmation bias.

Even then it's crazy to make a recommendation without testing those programs.  Also, OC speed isn't end-all-be-all any longer taking into consideration the IPC gains from these new chips.  AMD recommends you let the CPU do its thing and OC itself, often with better results than trying to overclock manually.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, strider1 said:

Your recommendation makes no rational$$ sense unless you only use one program(p3d/fsx). Which sim: XP or P3D? You can get a 12core for the same price, or $150 cheaper for an 8 core 3700X, for a few percents performance difference. If you are using higher resolution monitor then you are going to be GPU bottled necked anyways.   

I agree though not for the same reasons. If you want pure P3D performance, an overclocked 9600K will be within 1-2% of the 9900K for less than half the price, and should still beat the 3900X as well. 

Also, it's pretty much impossible to be GPU-bound in P3D at this pricepoint. It just does not run fast enough to outmatch a GPU capable of 60FPS at 4K.

Edited by StAgre

7800X3D - RTX 2080 FE - 64GB DDR5 - Dan C4-SFX

iam out , you guys is completly out in the blue or only see red, the 9900k is still the king in p3d 

its only a 25% diff betwen a fullblown ryzen and my sim cpu intel 9900k, P3d v4.5

Its the same guys as the last time when first Ryzen came out, 

Its a great cpu but if you want out all from the sim INTEL 9900k 9700k 9600k 8700k is a better.

Thanks