Sign in to follow this  
LTCSZ

What Is Orbx Base?

I am considering taking the jump into Orbx sceneries for my P3d V4.4...Apparently Global Base is required for all Orbx scenery...Just what does it do, exactly? Almost $100 is a pile of money for me...If I purchase Global Base, will I see any immediate difference in P3d? Is Global Base compatible with Ultimate Terrain or will I have to delete UTX before installing Global Base? I find the Orbx web site a bit confusing as to just where to start, so any advice will be appreciated! Thanks a lot...

Steve in Kansas

Steve

7 Miles NW of KGCK

Orbx Base replaces the default land textures with more realistic ones, I found it to be a nice improvement. The other layers are Landclass, Mesh, and Vector data, the regions have all four but you can add any of them separately, but Base and Landclass are a big improvement. 

Even though it says it’s required, it isn’t. I’m not sure how it works with UTX, but I run Ground Environment Prepar3D World Edition (GEP3D) with UTX and orbx sceneries. I have no issue or complaints. 

/ CPU: Intel i7-9700K @4.9 / RAM: 32GB G.Skill 3200 / GPU: RTX 4080 16GB /

RW Freight Pilot

28 minutes ago, MartinRex007 said:

Orbx Base replaces the default land textures with more realistic ones, I found it to be a nice improvement. The other layers are Landclass, Mesh, and Vector data, the regions have all four but you can add any of them separately, but Base and Landclass are a big improvement. 

Agree and those two have the least impact on frames.

Joe

Joe (Southern California)

SystemI9-9900KS @5.1Ghz/ Corsair H115i / Gigabyte A-390 Master / EVGA RTX 2080 Ti FTW3 Hybrid w 11Gb / Trident 32Gb DDR4-3200 C14 / Evo 970 2Tb M.2 / Samsung 40inch TV 40ku6300 4K w/ Native 30 hz capability  / Corsair AX850 PS / VKB Gunfighter Pro / Virpil MongoosT-50 Throttle / MFG Crosswind Pedals /   LINDA, VoiceAttack, ChasePlane, AIG AI, MCE, FFTF, Pilot2ATC, HP Reverb G2

12 hours ago, LTCSZ said:

I am considering taking the jump into Orbx sceneries for my P3d V4.4...Apparently Global Base is required for all Orbx scenery...Just what does it do, exactly? Almost $100 is a pile of money for me...If I purchase Global Base, will I see any immediate difference in P3d? Is Global Base compatible with Ultimate Terrain or will I have to delete UTX before installing Global Base? I find the Orbx web site a bit confusing as to just where to start, so any advice will be appreciated! Thanks a lot...

Steve in Kansas

I'm in the same boat. Following.

Hello,

this, from the user guide may help you with your decision.

ULTIMATE TERRAIN X (UTX)
FTX Global is fully compatible with UTX, since we replace the landclass textures that are also called by UTX. You have a lot of configuration options available using the UTX config tool and we recommend you take time to explore what works best when FTXG and UTX are combined. We do recommend that the UTX lighting be disabled if you have a high FPS impact with them on, but this is entirely your choice of course.

GROUND ENVIRONMENT X (GEX)
GEX is a default texture replacement product just like FTXG and is therefore not compatible at all. When you install FTXG you will replace any GEX textures which may have been active in Scenery\World\Texture. We do recommend that you firstly uninstall your GEX before installing FTXG, then also using the backup option from our installer to make a backup of the default textures.

Also, the Global Base product is the basis, as its name suggests, Open LC and Vector should be seen as accessories to it.

They will not work as intended without Global Base.

Edited by nolonger
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, LTCSZ said:

Apparently Global Base is required for all Orbx scenery

I don't know where you read this. I would guess you looked at an Orbx airport that is outside of one of its regions, which would have listed Global Base as a requirement. Other airport products will say a particular region is required instead of Global Base. Regions don't require Global Base. There has recently been a bit of a furore about what Orbx means by 'required', since those 'requirements' are technically not prerequisites. Orbx has chosen to let its wording stand.

• Like 1

MarkH

gGzCVFp.jpg
Core i7-7700K / 32Gb DDR4 / Gigabyte GTX1070 / 1080p x 3 x weird / Win7 64 Pro

13 hours ago, LTCSZ said:

Almost $100 is a pile of money for me

wait for a sale if you can (40~50%).

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Also don't forget their prices are in Australian dollars and unless you actually live there, you will probably be paying a lot less. But yeah I would wait for a sale. Fortunately Orbx usually have quite a few sales throughout the year. 

I too am considering this, OP did you end up purchasing, or waiting for a sale?

I did catch a sale of 30% off (Or maybe it was 40%)...You know, to be perfectly honest, I was not that impressed with the add-on...Seems like it makes a minor improvement, but I really don't think I would purchase it again....I think ORBX is playing with words when it comes to "required, regions" and so on...It has certainly stopped me from purchasing Vector and LC....I think Ultimate Terrain is a much better buy and a much better improvement...

Edited by LTCSZ
  • Like 1

Steve

7 Miles NW of KGCK

IMHO ORBX Global base textures fall under the "must have" heading for P3D add on's.

It will transform the look of your ground textures in a way that has to be seen to fully appreciate.

Worth every penny, Australian or otherwise IMO..😎

• Like 2