Sign in to follow this  
stonelance

Status of Flight\Flight Toolkit

So my hosting service has started to increase the cost of hosting because flighttoolkit.com and the database Flight Toolkit are using are on an older system that i'm guessing they are trying to get rid of.  They have lower price hosting they provide, but that means ultimately moving the whole website and SQL database to a new set up, and I'm sure that will come with it own set of debugging which I don't want to spend any time on.  How many people are actually still using the toolkit?  I've paid for the next year, but i'm looking at doing one of the following two options sometime in the next year:

- Just close the website and SQL database down.  That means unless we have somewhere else to host the addon files, there won't be any way to download them.  I would probably need to update the Toolkit to allow it to work without the server and possibly hard code in some of the data.
- Keep the website up, move it to new hosting, but don't bother with the SQL database.  The addons could still be hosted on the website, and downloaded, but i would need to move the data in the database to be hard coded, or most likely just put it into some files on the website, so they can still be updated.  I think the only thing that really breaks is the ability to add aerocaches, but no one has done that in a while as far as I know.

I suppose one other option would be to just shutdown and the Toolkit may not function at all any more.  Or at least certain things like aerocaches probably won't work.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Count me as one.

-eelis-

Edited by eelis
  • Like 1

In my experience, migrating a SQL database is really easy, so maybe it will be less of a problem than you think.

Why don't you contact our library admin here and see if Avsim will let you move the files to our library.  Is that reasonable from your standpoint? 

Either way,  thank you for all you do and have done for Flight. 

• Like 1

Thank you.

Rick

$Silver Donor

EAA 1317610   I7-7700K @ 4.5ghz, MSI Z270 Gaming MB,  32gb 3200,  Geforce RTX2080 Super O/C,  28" Samsung 4k Monitor,  Various SSD, HD, and peripherals

On 2/28/2019 at 7:34 PM, 188AHC said:

Why don't you contact our library admin here and see if Avsim will let you move the files to our library.  Is that reasonable from your standpoint? 

Good idea. There will be other users like me, which now and then fly with MS FLIGHT.

I still use MS Flight and run the Toolkit sometimes. It would be a shame to see it go, but I respect your situation and whichever choice you make. You've extended the shelf-life and replay value of MS Flight significantly stonelance, so long may that continue.

I'm still here, and Flight is about all I use!!!!

My best to all!

• Like 2

Aghh, I can't believe I found this post so late.

I am still playing Microsoft Flight, it's still my favorite game I ever played. I know that new Microsoft Flight Simulator is coming in 2020 but I have a bad feeling that it won't have Missions, Challanges and Aerocache hunt as Microsoft Flight has. Aerocache hunt is coolest thing if you ask me, I just enjoy flying and hunting them in the same time. All hours I spent in free flight are because of Aerocaches.

About your hosting service, when does your server hosting subscription (if it's right to call it subscription) expire? In February 2020? How much it costs?

There are still people playing Flight as it can be seen in comments here, can we split cost of your hosting service and pay hosting together next year? Or is there somebody that could do that SQL database migrating so we can use new cheaper hosting system and again split hosting cost?

Thank you for keeping this game alive Stonelance!

• Like 4

The closing of Microsoft Flight really stung as it was by far my favorite.  Lately I was thinking about the amazing times I had in Flight so here I am in June 2019 reacquainting myself with the sim and it looks as amazing as ever.  Flying around Homer, AK brought back great memories.  I am not sure if I am one of a handful of people or if there are hundreds now flying.  I am using the non-GWFL version and preferred not to overlay FlightSimX.  Thanks for all the hard work!

kyle

• Like 3

Thanks everyone.  I haven't decided what to do yet, but it is nice to see people are still enjoying it.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Flight was a jewel in the flight sim crown.  I enjoyed it immensely all the way from just sightseeing, 100$ Hamburger runs, Aerocaches, and missions. It's a crying shame MS left the ship.

However, thanks to Stonelance  many people can still enjoy it and all it offered.

• Like 4

Thank you.

Rick

$Silver Donor

EAA 1317610   I7-7700K @ 4.5ghz, MSI Z270 Gaming MB,  32gb 3200,  Geforce RTX2080 Super O/C,  28" Samsung 4k Monitor,  Various SSD, HD, and peripherals

Flying a 747 at FL380 never was something that I found fun in a simulator.  Spending hours seeing what you can find in Alaska, and then googling and learning about what you found is what made this game so amazing.  I am not sure why there was not a bigger connection.  I guess more people want to fly a heavy rather than an RV.  Not me; I like to explore and learn at lower altitudes.  While not the most appropriate forum, I found this today while exploring and it reminded me of why I love the game so much.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clear_Air_Force_Station

If you go just southwest, you will find a bridge and a pink highway!  Where else do you find a pink highway? 

Edited by AZsoccer
typo
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 2