Evening guys. I’m pretty new to P3d but am loving it compared to FSX. I’ve recently purchased the QW787 and my current (old) system is struggling to cope. 

I’m a real amateur when it comes to computer systems and wouldn’t know where to start building my own. I’ve found the following spec for £1500 that looks decent, just after some thoughts. 

Cheers in advance. 

James

Features & details

• System: Intel Core i7-9700K Processor (8 Cores, 3.6GHz Base, 4.9Hz Turbo, 12MB Cache) | Intel Z370 Chipset Motherboard | 16GB DDR4 RAM | 240GB SATA-III SSD | 2TB 7200RPM SATA-III HDD
  • Graphics: Nvidia GeForce RTX 2070 8GB Graphics Card | 1x HDMI 2.0b, 2x Displayport v1.4 | 600W 80 Plus Rated Power Supply
  • Connectivity: 4x USB 3.1 gen 1 | 2x USB 2.0 | 1x PS/2 KB or Mouse Port | 1x RJ45 Network Ethernet 10/100/1000 | 300Mbps 802.11n Wifi | 7.1-Channel High Definition Audio
  • Case & Cooling: Corsair Crystal 460X Mid Tower Case | 3x RGB 120mm Fans | RGB LED Light Strip w/ RFID Remote | 120mm All-in-one CPU Liquid Cooler
  • Warranty & Software: 2 Years Parts & 3 Years Labour | Lifetime Technical Support | Bullguard Internet Security 1 Year, 3 Devices | Windows 10 Home 64-bit

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

That looks like a solid system James. Personally I'd prefer a bigger PSU - 600W is adequate but leaves you little room. Other than that, it should do you quite well.

Vic

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, vgbaron said:

Personally I'd prefer a bigger PSU - 600W is adequate but leaves you little room.

It's way more than adequate. If that pulls more than 240W from the wall I'll be shocked.

Cheers!

Can you tell us the name of the company or brand who did the build? 

Just trying to find it having inadvertently closed the window. Found a similar spec at cyberpowersystem.co.uk

One more opinion -- I think a 240 Gb SSD today is a bit small. I would spend the additional few dollars to get a 500Gb drive. The drive may slow down when it gets over 70% (I've seen articles that say reads only or writes only slow down. All I know is my 240 Samsung SSD slowed way down when approaching capacity (as measured by HDTune)

I second what pgde says -- at least a 500 GB SSD.  And also, I would want P3D installed on the SSD for faster loading.  

Posted (edited)
34 minutes ago, pgde said:

One more opinion -- I think a 240 Gb SSD today is a bit small. I would spend the additional few dollars to get a 500Gb drive. The drive may slow down when it gets over 70% (I've seen articles that say reads only or writes only slow down. All I know is my 240 Samsung SSD slowed way down when approaching capacity (as measured by HDTune)

Better yet get a 1tb SSD, I have the WD Blue 1tb SATA III M.2 SSD, it's very fast, and the difference in price between it and the 500 gb model is only about $50-60 USD. There may even be cheaper models around, but Western Digital has a good reputation for reliability.

And as Mace said, run P3D from the SSD, load times are much faster..

Edited by SunDevil56

2 hours ago, Luke said:

It's way more than adequate. If that pulls more than 240W from the wall I'll be shocked.

Cheers!

The 2070 will pull 175W itself at stock speeds.  Would be easy to push the system as spec'd to near 500W even with the 9700K not overclocked.  I'm with Vic... a bit more power is cheap insurance.  Of course with the 120mm CPU Liquid Cooler, getting any kind of substantial overclock will be a challenge anyway.

Not a bad system but a bit pricey for what you get.

Regards

Greg

14 minutes ago, lownslo said:

The 2070 will pull 175W itself at stock speeds.  Would be easy to push the system as spec'd to near 500W even with the 9700K not overclocked. 

I'm curious why you feel that way. I have an i7-9700K overclocked to 5Ghz, coupled with a 1070. The CPU reports it's pulling between 60-90W when P3D is running, and the GPU is running around 115W via NV inspector. Everything else in the machine is a rounding error, say 30W. If you assume 80% efficiency in the PSU, we're talking 293W from the wall.

My old i7-4700K and the 1070 pulled 220 from the wall, I guess I need to hook up the Kill-A-Watt and see what it says on the new rig.

Cheers!

4 hours ago, Luke said:

Cheers!

I politely disagree for one reason. A 600W will be working harder than a larger PSU and will therefore introduce more noise onto the 5V rail. This noise can cause jitter of controls at neutral which is not easy to fix. Some aircraft are sensitive to this jitter. For example, the A2A 182 will release the park brakes if there is any jitter in the rudder pedals at neutral even with feet off. This problem is often not noticed when GPU load is minimal, but as soon as CPU and GPU are straining the PSU, the noise on the rails increases and can cause this issue.

• Upvote 1

46 minutes ago, glider1 said:

I politely disagree for one reason. A 600W will be working harder than a larger PSU and will therefore introduce more noise onto the 5V rail. This noise can cause jitter of controls at neutral which is not easy to fix. Some aircraft are sensitive to this jitter.

That's a fair point, but if your PSU is introducing noise in any rail at under 40% capacity, I would not want to buy any PSU such a manufacturer makes, no matter what its rated capacity.

You'll notice from other threads on the subject that I'm a big fan of buying slightly lower capacity PSUs from reputable manufacturers. I usually go with around 500-600W Seasonics and have never been disappointed.

Cheers!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Luke said:

I'm curious why you feel that way. I have an i7-9700K overclocked to 5Ghz, coupled with a 1070. The CPU reports it's pulling between 60-90W when P3D is running, and the GPU is running around 115W via NV inspector.

I guess I got s duff version of P3Dv4! :biggrin:  I just checked my system (using HWiNFO), and I had a peak of 148W for the CPU and 188W for the GPU.

41 minutes ago, Luke said:

You'll notice from other threads on the subject that I'm a big fan of buying slightly lower capacity PSUs from reputable manufacturers.

That's OK... some of us have no problem adding some extra headroom in our PSU capacity for a few dollars more.  To each their own.

🍻

Greg

Posted (edited)
52 minutes ago, Luke said:

That's a fair point, but if your PSU is introducing noise in any rail at under 40% capacity, I would not want to buy any PSU such a manufacturer makes, no matter what its rated capacity.

You'll notice from other threads on the subject that I'm a big fan of buying slightly lower capacity PSUs from reputable manufacturers. I usually go with around 500-600W Seasonics and have never been disappointed.

Cheers!

Thanks for the suggestion. When I looked up Seasonic they are market leading in reducing noise on the rails. A lot of other companies don't talk much about (EDIT: rail noise) but rather power. EDIT: They often are quick to talk about acoustic noise though!

Edited by glider1

11 hours ago, lownslo said:

I guess I got s duff version of P3Dv4! :biggrin:  I just checked my system (using HWiNFO), and I had a peak of 148W for the CPU and 188W for the GPU.

That's fascinating - I'll drag out my Kill-A-Watt and do some more comparisons since I haven't measured the i7-9700 from the wall yet. Are you overvolting the CPU?

Cheers!

1.35V @ 5.3GHz no HT.  I'll be interested in your at-the-wall numbers.

Thanks,

Greg

19 hours ago, JamesGrf said:

System: Intel Core i7-9700K Processor (8 Cores, 3.6GHz Base, 4.9Hz Turbo, 12MB Cache) | Intel Z370 Chipset Motherboard

Hope you did not yet buy, I totally overlooked this detail, sorry. I would strongly suggest to get a Z390 mainboard for the 9700K.

Posted (edited)

@JamesGrf That specification seems good for P3D in to the future. An i5-9600k processor with Hyper212 Evo cooler will be nearly as good though (unless you do video editing or heavy multitasking that can use the additional cores/threads of an i7 or i9) and then spend the savings on upgrading to a Z390 motherboard (I favour Asus or Gigabye for motherboard reliability). Do note that not all SSDs are born equal, Crucial's P1 is my pick at the moment that represents good value. With cases I recommend lots of large but slow fans (at least 92, ideally 120 and 140mm) with filters and fitting a reputable 550W+ semi-modular power supply, as Luke Colin said buy PSU on reputation and not outright wattage.

I'm occasionally asked to recommend components and systems for a particular budget to suit P3D, so I've come up with this as of Q1 2019 at under £1100 excluding peripherals https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/jkRYjy All you need to do with this is upgrade it to an RTX2070 and it's basically the same as what you've posted.

This build should be good for up to 1440p resolution or a superwide 1080p setup. A 27" monitor such as £185 AOC Q2778VQE or £290 BenQ EW3270ZL would seem a good fit, for those on a budget a 24" 1080p will do.

Edited by ckyliu

If I read correctly, the major differences between z370 and z390 are 10gig USB-C and 802.11ac support. If the price differential is trivial, by all means get it, but if my budget was limited I wouldn't sacrifice core counts or speeds for these features.

Cheers!

2 hours ago, AnkH said:

Hope you did not yet buy, I totally overlooked this detail, sorry. I would strongly suggest to get a Z390 mainboard for the 9700K.

From this forum:

True for upgraders. If buying new, there is no reason for the Z370. 

8 hours ago, lownslo said:

Fired up ImagineSim KLGA with the Dynamic Lighting kicking in. PMDG 737-600.

My 1070 is maxed and NV Inspector claims I'm pulling 110-130W. The CPU, needless to say, is not maxed and CoreTemp is claiming I'm pulling ~40W. The Kill-A-Watt is reading around 220W from the wall.

If the PSU is 80% efficient, it still means everything else in the computer (and it's not much, an M.2 drive, pair of SATA drives and a DVD-ROM) is pulling around a single-digit amount of power.

Cheers! 

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, lownslo said:

Thanks,

Greg

I did a test with my old rig when CPU's were more power hungry.  I had 280w running 3d mark.  So that was my 2500K 4.4Ghz and my old GTX 570 with 8gb ram.  I have three HDD's and at the time at 1 SSD but no special lighting in the case etc.  I think nearly everyone buys a larger PSU than we need...  it's mostly just marketing.  I didn't know what a kill a watt even was when I built this machine... so I got a seasonic 750w.... totally overkill.  I bet a person with a high end recent build could get a quality 400w PSU and have plenty of headroom.

• Upvote 1

Posted (edited)

When buying a motherboard buying the latest may pay off in the long run, Intel are to release 14nm CPUs later  2020 Comet Lake and if they do to the 370 what they did to the 270 and stopped MB manufactures from updating the BIOS your upgrade path will be shortened. 

Edited by rjfry