Sign in to follow this  
tomcatman24

FPS Loss- Unlimited vs. Locked FPS- P3dv4.x

Can anyone comment on the effectiveness of FFTF Dynamic when flying fast military jets?

I spend most of my time flying GA, so slow climb/descent rates, but is FFTF Dynamic still effective when screaming around the sky in a military jet with very high vertical climb/descent rates?

I'm wondering about the FFTF Dynamic update rate to the sim, and the sim's ability to respond to those FFTF setting updates.

Edited by SledDriver

Just bought FFTF Dynamic and fired up the settings.

I use RTSS to hold my fps at 30.

Wasn't expecting to see another FPS setting in FFTF Dynamic. What do I do with it? Should I set it to 30-30 as that's what I sim at and my system can handle that at pretty much all times?

8 minutes ago, SledDriver said:

Just bought FFTF Dynamic and fired up the settings.

I use RTSS to hold my fps at 30.

Wasn't expecting to see another FPS setting in FFTF Dynamic. What do I do with it? Should I set it to 30-30 as that's what I sim at and my system can handle that at pretty much all times?

You will see that there are two ways to use this app..

FPS mode and Altitude mode.

Suggest you start with Altitude mode and ignore fps settings, for now.

• Like 1

Bert

Cool thanks.

It would be clearer if they had not put both sets of options on one page, when only one is working at a time.

Lovely cute graphics, but poor interface logic. 🙂

Edited by SledDriver

1 hour ago, SledDriver said:

Cool thanks.

It would be clearer if they had not put both sets of options on one page, when only one is working at a time.

Lovely cute graphics, but poor interface logic. 🙂

Agreed... :smile:

Bert

I did a test : 1) No FFTF entries in my P3D.cfg (so default FFTF of 0.33) and unlimited fps. I took note of the fps with the airplane steady on the runway threshold of a big addon airport. 2) FFTF=0.01 in P3D.cfg and again unlimited fps; same situation, with the airplane on the same runway threshold. The fps were **exactly** the same, not the minimum increase. I suppose that this means that if I use  FSPS - FFTF Dynamic I will not get any improvement...

James Goggi

4 minutes ago, jgoggi said:

I did a test : 1) No FFTF entries in my P3D.cfg (so default FFTF of 0.33) and unlimited fps. I took note of the fps with the airplane steady on the runway threshold of a big addon airport. 2) FFTF=0.01 in P3D.cfg and again unlimited fps; same situation, with the airplane on the same runway threshold. The fps were **exactly** the same, not the minimum increase. I suppose that this means that if I use  FSPS - FFTF Dynamic I will not get any improvement...

First of all, if you set fps to unlimited, you do not get 0.33, but 0.01  :wink:

Secondly, your conclusion is not correct.. sorry!

Bert

f you set it to unlimited in P3D and then lock it at 30 with an external limiter like RTSS, you'll get the best of both.

Regards

CaptKornDog and F737NG reacted to this

Bob Scott

Not in my experience, Bob.

I love the smoothness an external limiter gives but I get the blurries badly if I use one, such as NVinspector.

Stu

Edited by Bunchy
Quote not showing

i7 12700K , 32GB RAM @3600MHz, Asus Z690-Plus D4 MB, Gainward 4090 RTX Graphics, 850W Corsair PSU, Kraken AIO watercooler, Nvme 1TB ssd, 1TB ssd, 500GB ssd.

Hello all

I'm no expert on FFTF, but after reading through this interesting thread, could someone please tell me if the there's actually anything fundamentally different between the following two scenarios:

1) FSPS NOT installed, fps = unlimited in P3D, fps = 30 externally set, Takeoff, @4000ft fps manually set to 30 in P3D

2) FSPS installed AGL mode = 4000ft, fps = unlimited in P3D, fps = 30 externally set, Takeoff, @4000ft FSPS automatically 'kicks in'

Based on the above, at 4000ft, isn't FFTS set to the same value, whether it's automatic or manual? 

Thanks

2 minutes ago, garydpoole said:

I'm no expert on FFTF, but after reading through this interesting thread, could someone please tell me if the there's actually anything fundamentally different between the following two scenarios:

If you ask me, it is almost the same with the exception that your scenario 1) is limited by the values P3D sets automatically: if using unlimited, FFTF will be set to 0.01, as soon as you limit to 30, your FFTF will be set to 0.33. Using FFTF Dynamic, you can set those FFTF values to your liking, for example just 0.1 on ground and 0.4 or even more above the altitude you define.

And of course, using FFTF Dynamic, you do not have to pause the sim, go into the options and change from unlimited to limited and back when approaching. More convenient, no?

Greetings, Chris

Intel i5-13600K, 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 RAM, MSI RTX 4080 Gaming X, Windows 11 Home, MSFS

5 hours ago, garydpoole said:

Hello all

1) FSPS NOT installed, fps = unlimited in P3D, fps = 30 externally set, Takeoff, @4000ft fps manually set to 30 in P3D

2) FSPS installed AGL mode = 4000ft, fps = unlimited in P3D, fps = 30 externally set, Takeoff, @4000ft FSPS automatically 'kicks in'

Based on the above, at 4000ft, isn't FFTS set to the same value, whether it's automatic or manual? 

Thanks

The app will gradually increase the FFTF value, in the background.

It does not suddenly change it at 4000 feet.

Example: At 2000 feet the value will be half of the 4000 feet target..

Edited by Bert Pieke

Bert

7 hours ago, AnkH said:

If you ask me, it is almost the same with the exception that your scenario 1) is limited by the values P3D sets automatically: if using unlimited, FFTF will be set to 0.01, as soon as you limit to 30, your FFTF will be set to 0.33. Using FFTF Dynamic, you can set those FFTF values to your liking, for example just 0.1 on ground and 0.4 or even more above the altitude you define.

And of course, using FFTF Dynamic, you do not have to pause the sim, go into the options and change from unlimited to limited and back when approaching. More convenient, no?

2 hours ago, Bert Pieke said:

The app will gradually increase the FFTF value, in the background.

It does not suddenly change it at 4000 feet.

Example: At 2000 feet the value will be half of the 4000 feet target..

Ah, that's really useful to know - I can see how the automatic 'soft' transition would make a difference.

Many thanks for the explanation.

On 4/27/2019 at 9:47 AM, F737NG said:

Why does this matter? By increasing the FFTF value, the sim is devoting more of the CPU resource to drawing scenery and rendering textures instead of just pumping out a high framerate

It seems counter-intuitive to me that at low level, where the scenery is complex, we need the CPU to spend less time rendering scenery (FFTF=0.01), but at high altitude, with less complex scenery, we need the CPU to spend more time rendering scenery (FFTF=0.33). What don't I understand?

Thx,

Al

39 minutes ago, ark said:

It seems counter-intuitive to me that at low level, where the scenery is complex, we need the CPU to spend less time rendering scenery (FFTF=0.01), but at high altitude, with less complex scenery, we need the CPU to spend more time rendering scenery (FFTF=0.33). What don't I understand?

Thx,

Al

BTW it is not scenery rendering but scenery loading as per the manual quoted below.

In a nutshell:

Low down, you have a limited visual area to cover, and need good control of the aircraft, whereas at altitude, you can see far and accurate control is not that critical..   :wink:

Quote from the manual:

"The default value is 0.33, meaning that the CPU will spend 1 ms of scenery loading in in every 3 ms of rendering."

Edited by Bert Pieke

Bert

On 4/27/2019 at 12:01 PM, w6kd said:

If you set it to unlimited in P3D and then lock it at 30 with an external limiter like RTSS, you'll get the best of both.

Regards

I installed RTSS yesterday, and set frame limiter to 30, and unlimited in P3D.

Not that I was having any particularly significant issues with micro stutters or long frames before, but things seem to be ever so slightly smoother now, and it's pretty much completely eliminated the occasional micro stutter or (rare) long frame, so I think i'll stick with this setup, and thanks for the tip...😎