Benjamin J

Qualitywings 757 released for P3Dv4

11 minutes ago, Benjamin J said:

But mind the disclaimer: it's probably been some five years since I last used the QW757... until now. I already bought it and will probably take her for a quick spin this evening!

10 minutes ago, w6kd said:

At that price it's hard to NOT buy it if only to tinker with it.

I bought the QW757 for FSX way back when and don't remember much about it. And for $15, what's not to like.

2 minutes ago, pracines said:

I wonder, what makes your opinion of this product more valid than mine? Absolutely nothing. 

I will not apologize for having a higher standard than you or anybody else for a 757 ( one of the most important aircraft of our time ) simulation. 

Neither Quality Wings or Captain Sim have successfully represented the 757 to the standard that they have claimed, facts are facts. And PBR does (would do) nothing to help that fact, just like the case with the 787.

If we had more calls for higher standards we would be better off. The community as a whole prefers A2A/PMDG/FSL quality, not Abacus quality. The middle ground for a 757 is acceptable if there is one of exceptional quality available, there is none of exceptional quality. So there needs to be a call to a higher quality. There is not one simmer that can say that the QW 757 is an excellent representation of a 757; yes the exterior is beautiful, the sounds are good, but these qualities are only good for making videos shot from the outside. 

My comment was very serious, so much so, I had to add a little humor, because I realize PBR for the QW 757 is not likely. 

Not trying to make anybody mad - just making it clear that this community can do much better.

It's a $15 product, and the fact that it's an entry-level simulation is made pretty clear.

If you don't have a place in your hangar for something like this, fine, then don't buy it.  That said, I'm certain that lots of folks will appreciate a lite simulation coming at a lite price, warts and all. 

You've said your piece...further hound-dogging of QW over this will not be considered favorably around here.

• Like 5
  • Upvote 3

For the price I would take a flyer on it (pun intended) just to see if I can use the ISG FMC with it.

I'm assuming the FMC it comes with only has very basic functions?

3 hours ago, Benjamin J said:

Nope - it's 15$... There's no upgrade path from the FSX version. It's a separate purchase.

When I first saw this thread, I assumed that $15 was the upgrade price!  I was pleasantly surprised to see that this was the initial price tag too! QW offered their 757 for free for a little while on FSX, and I enjoyed it at the time.  So I’ll definitely pick this one up.

I have to wonder if they will offer a more in-depth version in the future for a modest upgrade price?  Seems like a viable tactic to take some market share from CS.

I wonder if we will have to install the "Latha" font yet again . On my FSX copy I have an assortment of high definition  textures that I have accumulated. I also wonder whether we can transfer FSX repaints into the Prep3d folder. Questions are plentiful, answers await some more info. 

Do we really need a call for higher quality.  We have serious simmers screaming for higher quality everything (just check the "what is PMDG's next project" thread if you don't believe me).  I think there is more than enough room for entry, mid and high end product ranges.  i personally go with the high end but on a good deal for a bit of fun I would  go for this.  I did the same thing with the BAE146 products that QW just released a few months ago.  

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, MarkW said:

We have serious simmers screaming for higher quality everything (just check the "what is PMDG's next project" thread if you don't believe me).  I think there is more than enough room for entry, mid and high end product ranges. 

Agreed.  They seem to forget there is a different audience that outnumbers them.

1 hour ago, Mace said:

For the price I would take a flyer on it (pun intended) just to see if I can use the ISG FMC with it.

I'm assuming the FMC it comes with only has very basic functions?

No need for ISG. Same functionality if I recall or slightly better more than likely.

Picked up it, for 15 bucks its a no brainer. I'll throw a review video up next week like I did with the Virtua Col A220

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, MarkW said:

Do we really need a call for higher quality.  We have serious simmers screaming for higher quality everything (just check the "what is PMDG's next project" thread if you don't believe me).  I think there is more than enough room for entry, mid and high end product ranges.  i personally go with the high end but on a good deal for a bit of fun I would  go for this.  I did the same thing with the BAE146 products that QW just released a few months ago.  

Absolutely!  Don’t get me wrong, I also think there is a market for low and medium quality planes as well, and those should be filled.  But why not offer a baseline plane, and then have upgrades available which incorporate more functionality for a price?

Frankly, I’m not interested in the CS 757, because I think their pricing scheme is atrocious - making me pay extra for a 200 freighter, 300, 300 freighter, etc., etc.  I don’t get any extra functionality for my investment, only a different skin, maybe some slightly different handling characteristics.

But, if QW offers their 757 with basic features for $15, full cockpit/FMC functionality for an extra $40, and failures for an extra $60, I’d have no problem paying those prices. That gives the consumer the option to go as deep as they want to.  If they later decide to go deeper, instead of having to rebuy an entire study level plane, they only have to pay the upgrade fee. Majestic did this with their Q400, but I can’t think of any other developer that has done it.

I think they've (QW) also been pretty clear that this is the end of the line w/r/t further development of this add-on.  So nobody should buy it with the idea that future development or expansion beyond the current "entry-level" product is on the table.

This is a bargain-priced 64-bit reincarnation of a well-known 32-bit FSX product...its virtues and limitations are well documented by now for anyone who bothers to look.  It's been declared "finished", so any discussion of potential new development and marketing strategies going forward seems somewhat pointless.

Regards

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, _Gladius_ said:

But why not offer a baseline plane, and then have upgrades available which incorporate more functionality for a price?

This strategy often does not work.  Most of  the product's sales are likely going to come from that initial release, be it mid or high detail.  If you do a mid-level baseline first release, it will take significantly more effort to add more functionality/complexity.  But the sales will probably not be as good for subsequent releases.  Your mid level customers won't see the need to upgrade, and many will pushback at paying an additional cost. So you could spend a lot of time and effort for only a small amount of additional sales.   Your better off just going ahead and doing the high detail/fidelity product as the initial release, take the longer dev time and charge the higher price the premium customers will gladly pay on the initial release. 

The reverse can be true as well. If your initial release is a premium or high detail product, because of the high level of integration/dependencies with the systems. It can be very difficult to then remove or uncouple or dumb down those highly integrated features for a lower detail product.  You could end up spending a lot of time and effort for a version that might get you some more unit sales. But because you have to price it significantly lower to attract those mid level users, the lower income you get for all that effort may not be worth it. You'd be better off doing the initial release at mid level or somewhere between mid and high level and just price accordingly.

This is more applicable to detailed addon aircraft, because of the long development times compared to other types of addons.  

• Upvote 3

Is the FMC still the older FSX popup, or can you use it directly from the VC panel?

That was the only minor annoyance I had with this plane.

Ernie, thanks for the explanation. I guess that means I shouldn’t hold my breath for a more detailed QW 757.

2 hours ago, Jude Bradley said:

Is the FMC still the older FSX popup, or can you use it directly from the VC panel?

That was the only minor annoyance I had with this plane.

They added FMC funtionality in the VC thankfully! I watched a stream of it. They did not make the transponder clickable in the VC so to go to ta/ra and standby on the switch you have to pop up the 2d panel.

If QW can port over the 757 I would have loved to have the Level-D ported over to v4. But we know how they are. 

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, Wise87 said:

If QW can port over the 757 I would have loved to have the Level-D ported over to v4.

+1

16 hours ago, w6kd said:

Looks like some kind of embedded zip utility (Ionic.zip) either didn't make it into the installer or onto your PC.

Thanks Bob.

I uninstalled and then re-installed the 757, and that seems to have cured the problem.

For some odd reason the installer failed to install "Ionic.Zip.DLL" in the QW livery manager folder on the first install.

8 hours ago, _Gladius_ said:

But why not offer a baseline plane, and then have upgrades available which incorporate more functionality for a price?

Just Flight did that with the L1011 and, I think, one or two other planes. You could get the basic version for one price, and then pay extra to upgrade it to the "professional" version. I think the price for both worked out to something like $60.

The problem with their approach is that the "pro" version wasn't pro at all. It was marginally more complex than the base version, but there were still a lot of non-functional switches and equipment in that upgraded cockpit. And interestingly, the flight engineer's panel in the pro version wasn't as complete as the one in the base version. Oops.

I think the idea is good but the execution needs to be on point for this to work. If you sell a "pro" version, especially when that version brings the price of the plane to within spitting distance of the Maddog, then it needs to be a lot closer to PMDG than Carenado.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Like the looks inside and out. Added numerous liveries from the QW site. Flew the flight plan perfectly until I disengaged the AP to land it by hand and it took a nose dive that I couldn't recover from. Weird. 

Edited by Lenny777
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Boeing or not going said:

They added FMC funtionality in the VC thankfully! I watched a stream of it. They did not make the transponder clickable in the VC so to go to ta/ra and standby on the switch you have to pop up the 2d panel.

According to the product description :

Detailed 3D Virtual Cockpit with parallel functionality as 2D environment. If it works in the 2D, it works in the 3D

Posted (edited)

I wish QW continued there long abandoned 737-300 (classic) project.

I feel jealous that X-plane has a 737-300 but not P3D :P. For once x-plane has something I want lol!

Edited by ols500

1 hour ago, Lenny777 said:

Like the looks inside and out. Added numerous liveries from the QW site. Flew the flight plan perfectly until I disengaged the AP to land it by hand and it took a nose dive that I couldn't recover from. Weird. 

What i've encountered is rather strange also, after I disengage the AP to land manually there's about a 10 second delay before I have any elevator control.... Odd, because I flew the QW 757 a lot in FSX, and I don't recall any such issue. There's a number of minor bugs being reported at QW 757 forum, so I suspect a service pack will come out in the not too distant future to address these.

• Upvote 1

I've seen this as well in the 32-bit version, it happens around 50% of the time. I wouldn't be too optimistic that this will get fixed, since I was hoping the 1.4 release would resolve it. 🙂

I think the autopilot isn't being disconnected properly, what I've been working on lately is turning off the Flight Director to force it disabled, then re-enabling. I'm not sure if that's a consistent fix, if it is I'll create an FSUIPC macro or LUA script to assign it to the AP disconnect button on my yoke.

Cheers!