Sign in to follow this  
ols500

LOD_RADUIS is it more CPU or more GPU bound?

Michael, 

Have you been updating ASP4 with patchers? , I have since released, with the new install I deleted ASP4 and installed the latest full version plus the one patch, I really did notice a difference. Patchers over patcher like shaders over shaders I think.

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

Fenix A320 Walkthrough PDF   Flightsim.to •

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip

16 hours ago, Christopher Low said:

I have TrueEarth GB South and TrueEarth Netherlands installed......and the latter is running just fine with everything (apart from those daft extrusion bridges) enabled.

Then plse show us a vid with you flying over London as you seem the only one running AG Maxed out + everything enabled in the FTX CP ( except extrusion bridges ) and having a smooth running Sim ... 🤔

Edited by GSalden

13900 8 cores @ 5.5-5.8 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.3 GHz (hyperthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D4 - GSkill Ripjaws 2x 16 Gb 4266 mhz @ 3200 mhz / cas 13 -  Inno3D RTX4090 X3 iCHILL 24 Gb - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 1Tb - Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - EKWB Extreme 240 liquid cooling set push/pull - 2x 55’ Sony 4K tv's as front view and right view.

13600  6 cores @ 5.1 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.0 GHz (hypterthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D - GSkill Trident 4x Gb 3200 MHz cas 15 - Asus TUF RTX 4080 16 Gb  - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Corsair D4000 Airflow case - NXT Krajen Z63 AIO liquide cooling - 1x 65” Sony 4K tv as left view.

FOV : 190 degrees

My flightsim vids :  https://www.youtube.com/user/fswidesim/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0

1 hour ago, Michael Moe said:

So the lesson we have learned so far is that watereffect is a CPU hog/stutter fest which can be disabled via terrain.cfg in programdata/ LM folder?

Also Building Autogen,LOD, shadows, special effects etc in P3D menu. 

I came on a rather strange observation last day when i was testing Davids/ Nyxx FSL A320 P3D settings  in EDDF.

Yesterday after midday around 13 UTC we had some Thunderstorm in the area. Using ASP4 networked and EF and not all fine on the first flight. Stutter and fps way below my normal. Then i quickly blamed the bad weather for this. 

Today i tried the exact same scenario with historically weather and everything was amazing. 

Sometimes its just not P3D setting that is the reason for our FPS or stutter fest.  Sometimes i just give up and moves on but I have a suspious ,sometimes with firewalls or Maybe simconnect?  So many possibilites I am afraid. 

Michael Moe 

Using ASP4 sometimes get low fps and stutters in nasty weather. I close ASP4, open it back up then flying in the nasty weather is smooth. Can't figure out why but it works most of the times on my pc.  

• Like 1

Maurice J

I7 7700k 4.7 \ EVGA 1080ti \ G-Skill 32GB \ Samsung 4K TV

6 minutes ago, reecemj said:

Using ASP4 sometimes get low fps and stutters in nasty weather. I close ASP4, open it back up then flying in the nasty weather is smooth. Can't figure out why but it works most of the times on my pc.  

Thanks , great response , 

Michael Moe

Michael Moe

fs2crew_747_banner1.png

Banner_FS2Crew_Emergency.png

Then plse show us a vid with you flying over London as you seem the only one running AG Maxed out + everything enabled in the FTX CP ( except extrusion bridges ) and having a smooth running Sim....

I said TrueEarth Netherlands, not TrueEarth GB South. I have deleted all of the 3DM files in the latter, and London is still a struggle. However, framerates everywhere else are acceptable.

I am not really sure where the slightly hostile tone comes from. I never stated that my PC is the best thing since sliced bread. I am simply stating facts about performance on my PC. I do not have dynamic lighting or reflections enabled, and shadows are minimal (limited to my own plane; external and internal). I also run the simulator with clear skies and calm weather at all times, so I do not have to worry about clouds hitting performance. I have P3D set up so that I can run autogen and Scenery Complexity at Extremely Dense, but LOD Radius is only set to HIGH (mid range for P3D v4 @ 4.5), Autogen Distance is limited to MEDIUM (which is more to the left than the right), and Tessellation and Water are set to MEDIUM.

Edited by Christopher Low
  • Upvote 1

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

1 hour ago, Christopher Low said:

I am not really sure where the slightly hostile tone comes from...

A few here are projecting their frustrations with the expectation of performance against your own settings and measurements. Don't let it bother you. 🙂

• Upvote 1

Keep the blue part on top...

Ryzen 7800x3D | ASUS Rog Strix B650E-F | MSI RTX 4090 Suprim Liquid X | 64GB DDR5 6000Mhz RAM | 2x Samsung 960 M.2 SSD | 2x Samsung 850 SSD | NZXT Kraken x72 Cooler | EVGA 1000 PSU

10 minutes ago, ZLA Steve said:

A few here are projecting their frustrations with the expectation of performance against your own settings and measurements. Don't let it bother you. 🙂

Now. That. Is. Just. Perfect!!!! :biggrin:  Could we please make a sticky of Steve's post?  Right at the top of this forum!  How about at the top of each and every forum here!

Greg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Christopher Low said:

I said TrueEarth Netherlands, not TrueEarth GB South. I have deleted all of the 3DM files in the latter, and London is still a struggle. However, framerates everywhere else are acceptable.

I am not really sure where the slightly hostile tone comes from. I never stated that my PC is the best thing since sliced bread. I am simply stating facts about performance on my PC. I do not have dynamic lighting or reflections enabled, and shadows are minimal (limited to my own plane; external and internal). I also run the simulator with clear skies and calm weather at all times, so I do not have to worry about clouds hitting performance. I have P3D set up so that I can run autogen and Scenery Complexity at Extremely Dense, but LOD Radius is only set to HIGH (mid range for P3D v4 @ 4.5), Autogen Distance is limited to MEDIUM (which is more to the left than the right), and Tessellation and Water are set to MEDIUM.

No hostile tone Christopher. It was more intended to be ironical 🤗

You have done it the smart way as the way you have set it up is great for VFR flying. Myself I have a Sightseeing Config too with almost the same settings : 

- AG both Very Dense / AG range : Medium / LOD : minimum / Mesh 19 / No shadows / Fair Weather / Water : Off / Max Visiibility 40 Mls / Max Clouds range : Minimum

• Upvote 1

13900 8 cores @ 5.5-5.8 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.3 GHz (hyperthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D4 - GSkill Ripjaws 2x 16 Gb 4266 mhz @ 3200 mhz / cas 13 -  Inno3D RTX4090 X3 iCHILL 24 Gb - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 1Tb - Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - EKWB Extreme 240 liquid cooling set push/pull - 2x 55’ Sony 4K tv's as front view and right view.

13600  6 cores @ 5.1 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.0 GHz (hypterthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D - GSkill Trident 4x Gb 3200 MHz cas 15 - Asus TUF RTX 4080 16 Gb  - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Corsair D4000 Airflow case - NXT Krajen Z63 AIO liquide cooling - 1x 65” Sony 4K tv as left view.

FOV : 190 degrees

My flightsim vids :  https://www.youtube.com/user/fswidesim/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0

Does more cores mean more FPS?

i5 8600K  @4.5Ghz 16GB RAM GTX1060 

6 hours ago, ols500 said:

Does more cores mean more FPS?

Depends how you define FPS. In my experience, if you mean FPS when there is no scenery loading (say flying in tight circles over the same terrain), more cores will not help. If you mean FPS while scenery is loading in the background during the flight, there will be a benefit to more cores. There is an optimal number for scenery loading. Some say it is a six core processor where P3D dedicates four cores to scenery, some say an eight core with six cores dedicated to scenery loading. The highest clocked CPU even with four cores will still give the best FPS when scenery is not loading in because P3D only uses two cores (and mainly just one) when scenery isn't loading. P3D is now a 2 core simulator with extra cores for scenery loading and some processing on the GPU happening as the simulator develops. Remember these are my observations and the simulator is changing with each new version. I've got a 4 core processor heavily overclocked and until P3D actively uses more than 2 cores for general simulation (not just scenery loading), there isn't much incentive to upgrade.

Edited by glider1
  • Like 2

So how can you improve your FPS, (hardware wise) say in London if by upgrading your CPU doesn't technically do anything as P3D mainly uses only two cores?

18 minutes ago, ols500 said:

So how can you improve your FPS, (hardware wise) say in London if by upgrading your CPU doesn't technically do anything as P3D mainly uses only two cores?

You get the fastest-capable cpu you can find, get a nice cooler, and overclock it.  Then adjust sliders as necessary to get the best possible smoothness.  I didn't say fps, because i'd rather have smoothness, and I'm sure you would too if you really think about it.  High fps but not smooth isn't any good.

Anyway, that's about all anyone can do at the moment.

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

For me I have it externally locked at 30FPS with RTSS, which works fine. So I'm thinking about buying a new cooler for my i5 8600K any want to get it to 5.1Ghz, also I plan to get it delidded.

On 6/3/2019 at 5:32 PM, djbully said:

Good find, I’ll be upping my slider tonight 👍

Well that did not work for me. I had to put slider back to dense. Even over OLC NA i noticed lower FPS. Let alone a full region!

AMD Ryzen 5900X - Asus Crosshair VI Hero - G.Skill 32GB (2x16GB) 3000 C14 DDR4 @ 3600 14-14-15-14-28-42

AMD Red Devil Radeon 6900XT  2700/2112 1125mv - 3 x Iiyama G-Master GB2888UHSU 4k @ 11560x2160

Saitek X-55 Rhino - Track IR5 - Obutto Sim Cockpit + Triple Monitor Stand - Fancy some Techno? https://www.mixcloud.com/dj_bully/

sorry to bump this one..

With the 2 special effects settings in p3d 

a.detail

b.distance.

silly question but do they have a bearing on the amount of jetways gsx / sode creates??

ie if both settings are to the far left will they not create all the jetways ? only the jetways closet to the stand you are parked on??  or am i going mad ?

and am I also right in thinking the special effects slider has a bearing on payware a/c effects in the pmdg 747,777, fsl and qww 787 ? and if so what effects ?

many thanks  

Edited by fluffyflops

14ppkc-6.png