Jojolo0423

New High end PC - low frames

Hi all,

I have recently bought a new PC to get back into flight sim. I’ve bought p3d and installed a few addons. I get around 20-25 FPS at flytampa EHAM in a PMDG 738 

some addons installed:

Active sky + asca, ORBX global base, and ultimate traffic live 

Forgive my ignorance, but I thought I would be getting better frames than I currently get with this rig. Am I missing anything or do I need to adjust anything?

The strange thing about the performance is that even with the low frames, my cpu and gpu usage stays below 30-40%. I have tried adjusting some sliders but none of them really make an impact.

any help would be really helpful, thanks!

Some PC specs:

Asus rog mobo

i9 9900k

gtx 2080ti

16gb of 3200 ram

P3D installed on an ssd 

did you delete your shaders and let P3D create a ne prepar3d.cfg ?

I have the same setup as you withn 32MB Ram and get outstanding frames in your scenario even with orbx TE netherlands

Carsten U

2 hours ago, Jojolo0423 said:

Active sky + asca, ORBX global base, and ultimate traffic live 

On my PC (quite similar specs) the offender was UTL (from Flight1.com). I tried everything possible but still, I had low FPS and stutters. As soon as I uninstalled the UTL, no issues.

Something was going on when it was updating traffic, unfortunately, I couldn't find the issue. I hope you have better luck with it and whatever fix you find please let us know. 

Kind regards,

Alex Nic

Intel Core I9-9900K@5.0 GHz, Nvidia RTX 2080 Ti, Samsung 2 x  850 Evo 500GB, G.SKILL Trident Z DDR4 3200 64GB,WIN10 PRO 64

Thanks for your suggestions!

3 hours ago, RTK1972 said:

did you delete your shaders and let P3D create a ne prepar3d.cfg ?

I have the same setup as you withn 32MB Ram and get outstanding frames in your scenario even with orbx TE netherlands

How does one do this? Sorry but i'm new to P3d

46 minutes ago, killthespam said:

On my PC (quite similar specs) the offender was UTL (from Flight1.com). I tried everything possible but still, I had low FPS and stutters. As soon as I uninstalled the UTL, no issues.

Something was going on when it was updating traffic, unfortunately, I couldn't find the issue. I hope you have better luck with it and whatever fix you find please let us know. 

I have tried "toggling aircraft" on and off, but it seems to not have an effect on frames unfortunately. Do I have to uninstall UTL all together?

Take screenshots of your settings

That could be normal if you cranked your sliders

|Ryan Butterworth|

| i7 4790K@4.4GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA GTX 1080Ti | ASUS Z97-Pro | 1TB 860 Evo | 500GB 840 Evo Win10 Pro | 1TB Samsung 7200rpm | Seasonic X750W |

As Ryan mentioned, post all of your settings.  UTL can have a big impact depending on the number of AI traffic you have, especially at EHAM.  I keep it at 100 max and then can adjust up or down with a key press during my flight if needed.  Weather is also a big factor so depends on the conditions you had and cloud texture resolution, etc.

Eric

P3D v4.5    i7-6700k @ 4.4 GHz, Nvidia GTX 1080ti, 32GB ddr4 RAM, 1TB EVO 850 SSD, Samsung CRG90 49", Win 10

Is your 9900K overclocked?  Good frame rates require fast single-core performance on the core running the main thread--stock turbo speeds together with stock power/current limits set in the BIOS will not produce cutting-edge performance. 

When you say that you see "30-40% CPU usage", that's generally usage across all 8 cores...the most important operational metric to watch is the load on Core 0 where the main thread is running.  It's easy to have 30% total CPU load and have the main thread maxxing out core 0 at 100%.  If the core is only running at 3.6GHz because the CPU is TDP-limited, then you're going to see a reduction in frame rates.

Regards

Bob Scott | AVSIM Forums Administrator | AVSIM Board of Directors

ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System: i7-8086K @ 5.3GHz on custom water loop, ASUS Maximus XI Hero, 16GB 3600MHz CAS15, eVGA 2080Ti XC Ultra, Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz, 2x1TB Samsung SSD 970Pro NVMe+850 Pro SATA 3, eVGA 1KW PSU

SB XFi Titanium, optical link to Yamaha RX-V467, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf spkrs, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro, PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensors, Coolermaster HAF932 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Jojolo0423

I have the same specs (ex. memory), please try Shadow draw distance to HIGH and cloud draw distance to 70 x 80 please. Our eyes cannot see at 110 NM distance, it's a waist of PC resources. Coverage it is something that you will notice right away. 

Anyhow, with your settings (mine is a bit aggressive with  autogen and scenery draw distance) you should get easy 30 FPS and smooth simulation at JFK  with PMDG (in my case 747).

As soon as I install the ultimate traffic live I'm getting stutters and low performance (bad FPS).

Kind regards,

Alex Nic

Intel Core I9-9900K@5.0 GHz, Nvidia RTX 2080 Ti, Samsung 2 x  850 Evo 500GB, G.SKILL Trident Z DDR4 3200 64GB,WIN10 PRO 64

Yeah the cloud coverage range is really high...could be an issue if you had heavy clouds.  Other than that the traffic program would be a culprit....too many planes perhaps.  Overall I'd say your fps is reasonable.... especially with standard clock speed.

|Ryan Butterworth|

| i7 4790K@4.4GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA GTX 1080Ti | ASUS Z97-Pro | 1TB 860 Evo | 500GB 840 Evo Win10 Pro | 1TB Samsung 7200rpm | Seasonic X750W |

Try moving your Cloud Coverage Density slider one notch to the left to High instead of Maximum.
You will get a warning message on scenario loading, but you can click past it.
That change should make a noticeable difference when using ActiveSky.

I also limit the number of cloud layers in the ActiveSky's own settings to 4 instead of the default 5. Makes a big difference on my PC.

Ryzen 3700X 4.4GHz(PBO) / Gigabyte AB350 Gaming 3 / ASUS GTX 1070 O8G / 32GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz / triple monitor

WIN 10 Pro + P3Dv4 + PTA + EnvTex + FS Global Ultimate NG + ORBX + ASP4 + Rex SF 3D + ChasePlane

Thanks for all of your suggestions guys! Indeed the first cpu is running at 100%, I’ll give the cloud layers + distance a try tonight. 

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Jojolo0423 said:

Thanks for all of your suggestions guys! Indeed the first cpu is running at 100%, I’ll give the cloud layers + distance a try tonight. 

You haven't said what % you have Ai set to. That makes a big difference. Also, instead of running Active Sky leave it off and use Clear Skies in P3D to see the difference no clouds make.

Your 2080Ti is more powerful than my 1080Ti so you can certainly increase things like Special Effects to max and High Res Terrain textures on.

I would turn off some of the receive Shadow options in Lighting. Those will be having a significant impact.

Finally, to get a better indication of performance I have a specific test I run over several minutes which gives me an accurate average fps. If you have an addon Heathrow and FSUIPC5 try this test.

Position the Cub at Rwy 28, EGLC. Slew up to 500ft and move forward at 160kts. Pass over central London and continue towards Heathrow passing over the Tower and ending the test as you reach the reservoirs to the west of the airport. It takes around 6 minutes to run the test. Don't change the speed or altitude.

Exit P3D and open FSUIPC5.log. Scroll to the end and read the min, max and average fps. The average is calculated over several minutes so will be a very accurate reading. Flying over central London and a complex airport like EGLL is a very stringent test of your system.

Edited by Ray Proudfoot
Corrections

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v4.5, Intel i7-8086K o/c to 4.6Ghz, Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti 11Gb, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 SSD, 1Tb Samsung 860 EVO SSD, Asus Prime Z370-A mobo, 32Gb G.Skill DDR4 3000Mhz RAM, Win 10 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor.
Cheadle Hulme Weather