Sign in to follow this  
flytrumpet767

New MS Flight Sim shown at E3 - Updated Information

5 minutes ago, Wobbie said:

I get your point, also ACES has long been disbanded, as I'm sure you are aware, & the sim, & the rest of the games, & all the stuff you mentioned are developed by Xbox Gaming Studio

Just saying, to get facts correct.

I don't know if you know but the Xbox Gaming Studio is a brand, not a real studio.

Inside this brand you will find a lot of independent studios working on all kind of games, under the Microsoft's Umbrella A.K.A Phil Spencer.

7800X3D@H170i // Msi RTX 4090 Trio // 32GB DDR5 6000mhz CL30 // 2TB + 1TB Nvme
Dell 27" 2127DGF - 1440p - Gsync - 165hz 
Thrustmaster TCA Sidestick Airbus // TCA Quadrant Airbus // TFRP T.Flight Rudder Pedals // Logitech Flight Multi Panel

lol, calling Xbox Gaming Studio the new Aces, is like calling Windows 10 the new Windows XP. Both obsolete.

So hard to call it Xbox Gaming Studio or calling FS2019 & FS2020 correctly as MFS? 

Simmers cam be peculiar, at times.

Robin

"Onward & Upward" ...
To the Stars, & Beyond... 

1 minute ago, Wobbie said:

I get your point, also ACES has long been disbanded, as I'm sure you are aware, & the sim, & the rest of the games, & all the stuff you mentioned are developed by Xbox Gaming Studio

Just saying, to get facts correct.

I know, hence the use of " "...

Anyway, looking very much forward to the road map and seeing what the team are cooking! I also hope they can get some more frequent action over at the FSI pages. They weren't exactly active during the FSX days.

• Like 1

Simmerhead - Making the virtual skies unsafe since 1987! 

4 minutes ago, ca_metal said:

I don't know if you know but the Xbox Gaming Studio is a brand, not a real studio.

Inside this brand you will find a lot of independent studios working on all kind of games, under the Microsoft's Umbrella A.K.A Phil Spencer.

Obviously I know that the new games will be marketed under that brand, as FS9 & FSX (& the other Microsoft games) were marketed under the ACES brand. And we actually have no idea who those independent studios are, at this stage.

Robin

"Onward & Upward" ...

I would like something like iracing in terms of how you can buy more content, but allow 3rd parties behind the curtain. If I was Microsoft I’d implement a set of rules that have to be met before anything is allowed in, such as performance and bug testing, impacts on the rest of the sim and overall quality. I’d probably leave developers to set prices, I think exposure to larger markets will cause a general decrease in prices anyway. 

I definitely don’t have the time or patience to have something similar to what we have now, and I think there should be much less of a gap in value add that you get between dlc for aaa games (or other sim genres) and add-ons for flight sims. 

Actually the way Forza horizon 4 does it might work - I.e. you have a hanger in which to see the planes you have, and see what else you could buy etc. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Wobbie said:

lol, calling Xbox Gaming Studio the new Aces, is like calling Windows 10 the new Windows XP. Both obsolete.

So hard to call it Xbox Gaming Studio or calling FS2019 & FS2020 correctly as MFS? 

Simmers cam be peculiar, at times.

Just a way to call it, they don't have a public name that I know of, like the other MS Studios. Is it hard to just let we call it however we want?

Indeed, sims can be peculiar. You making a big deal of how we name it is one of those peculiarities.

12 minutes ago, Wobbie said:

Obviously I know that the new games will be marketed under that brand, as FS9 & FSX (& the other Microsoft games) were marketed under the ACES brand. And we actually have no idea who those independent studios are, at this stage.

So...

You know what I'm calling the new ACES isn't the XBOX branding, but the guys behind the new Flight Simulator. It's just a way to call it.

Edited by ca_metal
  • Upvote 2

Thrustmaster TCA Sidestick Airbus // TCA Quadrant Airbus // TFRP T.Flight Rudder Pedals // Logitech Flight Multi Panel

1 minute ago, Superdelphinus said:

I would like something like iracing in terms of how you can buy more content, but allow 3rd parties behind the curtain. If I was Microsoft I’d implement a set of rules that have to be met before anything is allowed in, such as performance and bug testing, impacts on the rest of the sim and overall quality. I’d probably leave developers to set prices, I think exposure to larger markets will cause a general decrease in prices anyway. 

I definitely don’t have the time or patience to have something similar to what we have now, and I think there should be much less of a gap in value add that you get between dlc for aaa games (or other sim genres) and add-ons for flight sims. 

Actually the way Forza horizon 4 does it might work - I.e. you have a hanger in which to see the planes you have, and see what else you could buy etc. 

I really hope there is a change in this direction because, as you note, it is too much of a hassle now (in both P3D and XP) to add and then keep add ons updated.

Rick Abshier

5900X | RTX3080 | 32 GB@3600 | India Pale Ale

7 hours ago, devgrp said:

Like I said its best you stay with p3d. This is a new sim and I'm sure it will have new tech that will make some of the addons look dated when the devs start doing what they do. I'm into study level sim and one I miss the most when I went to XP was the Q400 from Majestic but that never brought me back to the the aging p3d. If MS really makes this the sim that everyone wants then the addons will eventually come. If you cant wait you can always continue playing p3d

I'll ask you something, what visually looks dated to you in the Aerosoft airbus seen on the MSFS trailer? I think you overreact on what is dated and what is current. It may surprise you that Microsoft default aircraft will be dated system wise compared to the add-on aircraft we have in P3D. Microsoft won't make PMDG/FSL/Majestic/A2A/Leonardo etc. level aircraft. No matter how much better PBR or rain effects the default aircraft have, the systems and custom physics that go into the development of 3rd party addons is something Microsoft doesn't do. It takes years and years to develop just one of them from scratch. Even with the money and people power of Microsoft, it is a significant investment to make one such aircraft simulation.  If things goes as good as possible for 3rd party, Microsoft will provide the tools they need to make their add-ons compatible and adapt to the new technology, PBR, rain effects, Anti-Aliasing etc.

And please I didn't ask you to indicate me what to do. With the big aircraft developers out of the game, MSFS won't win the hardcore simmer who strives for absolute flight and systems realism. In that scenario that I don't believe and don't wish, serious flying for aircraft accuracy would be done only in P3D. And its not because people can't wait, its because there is no reason to stop flying realistically in a simulator with add-on aircraft used even by the army to train, just because a sim with better visuals arrived. Don't confuse the training level of Prepar3D add-ons with the entertainment level of default aircraft. Different leagues. 

But in my opinion, there is no need for such drama because I believe the big airplane developers will be given the way to make their products work and evolve in the new sim, even if you seem to not want this to happen. 

Edited by Daedalus

Simulators: Prepar3D v5 Academic | X-Plane 1111.50+ | DCS  World  Open Beta MSFS 2020 Premium Deluxe | 
PC Hardware: Dell U3417W Intel i9 10900K | msi RTX 2080 Ti  Gaming X Trio msi MPG Z490 Gaming Edge Wifi | G.Skill 32GB 3600Mhz CL16 | Samsung 970 EVO Plus+860 EVO+850 EVO x 1TB, Western Digital Black Caviar Black x 6 TB Corsair RM1000i Corsair H115i Platinum Fractal Design Define S2 Gunmetal |
Flight Controls: Fulcrum One Yoke Virpil VPC WarBRD Base Virpil VPC MongoosT-50CM Grip, Thrustmaster Warthog+F/A-18C Grip Thrustmaster TPR Rudder Pedals | Virtual Fly TQ6+Throttle Quadrant | Sismo B737 Max Gear Lever | TrackIR 5Monsterteck Desk Mounts |
My fleet catalog: Link                                                                                                                                                       

5 minutes ago, ca_metal said:

Just a way to call it, they don't have a public name that I know of, like the other MS Studios. Is it hard to just let call it however we want?

Indeed, sims can be peculiar. You making a big deal of how we name it is one of those peculiarities.

So...

You know what I'm calling the new ACES isn't the XBOX branding, but the guys behind the new Flight Simulator. It's just a way to call it.

Erm.. Yes, there is a public name for it..

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xbox_Game_Studios

Xbox Game Studios, previously known as Microsoft Studios, Microsoft Game Studios, and Microsoft Games, is a division of Microsoft based in Redmond, Washington. It was established in March 2000, spun out from an internal Games Group, for the development and publishing of video games for Microsoft Windows. It has since expanded to include games and other interactive entertainment for the namesake Xbox platforms, Windows Mobile and other mobile platforms, and web-based portals. As the studio grew, it has acquired and relinquished ownership of several other studios, and is the parent organization of fifteen other studios.

As Xbox Game Studios (2019–present)[edit]

The studio rebranded itself on February 5, 2019 as Xbox Game Studios, as to reflect Microsoft's intent to use the Xbox brand to support gaming across all the devices it supports.[70][71] At E3 2019, Xbox Game Studios announced it had acquired Double Fine,[72] and established a new internal studio dedicated to Age of Empires headed by Shannon Loftis, bringing their total studio count to fifteen.[73]

Microsoft has rebranded its game-development business, just slightly, from Microsoft Studios to Xbox Game Studios. This new name comprises all 13 game studios and publishing organizations that Microsoft has gobbled up over the years, including Fallout: New Vegas developer Obsidian Entertainment, Halo house 343 Industries, Gears of War studio The Coalition, Hellblade creator NInja Theory and Wasteland 2 company inXile Entertainment.

The move is intended to solidify Xbox as Microsoft's all-encompassing gaming brand, covering players across PC, mobile devices and consoles, according to Xbox Game Studios corporate vice president Matt Booty. The next generation of gaming consoles is expected to launch in 2020, and Xbox is rumored to be building two devices, one of which is apparently designed specifically for streaming games.

It seems Xbox is stacking its roster of in-house studios to head off a major criticism it faced in the current console generation -- a lack of exclusive games. Plus, Xbox is well-positioned to launch a low-latency game-streaming service, thanks to its Azure cloud network and Game Pass subscription plan.

Here's the complete list of organizations under the Xbox Game Studios banner:

• 343 Industries (Halo)
  • The Coalition (Gears of War 5)
  • Compulsion Games (We Happy Few)
  • The Initiative (led by 2013 Tomb Raider boss David Gallagher)
  • inXile Entertainment (Wasteland 2)
  • Minecraft (Minecraft)
  • Ninja Theory (DmC: Devil May Cry, Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice)
  • Obsidian Entertainment (Fallout: New Vegas)
  • Playground Games (Forza Horizon)
  • Rare (Sea of Thieves)
  • Turn 10 Studios (Forza Motorsport)
  • Undead Labs (State of Decay)
  • Xbox Global Publishing Group

Robin

"Onward & Upward" ...

8 hours ago, Daedalus said:

In my opinion, a new sim can’t succeed without the big players in aircraft add ons that we have now in Prepar3D. If you don’t believe me do this thought experiment:

The new MSFS is released today, none of the big name P3D developers can convert their products to the new simulator so they are forced to stay out or start new projects from zero. Time to release a project from zero can take at least 3-5 years for each aircraft for a developer based on past experience. In the meantime to keep profits and stay alive these companies should keep selling. So lets say the first years of MSFS release, FSL releases the A321 next year an A330, PMDG the 737 NG3 and Max or another long haul, A2A the aerostar, military trainers, Majestic the Q300 etc etc. Will people buy these? Certainly yes. This means Prepar3D can’t be replaced. The study level simulation aspect of flight simulation will not stop because a new simulator has new generation terrain and weather. People who love flight simulation because of the available aircraft systems accuracy and real world procedures possibilities will continue using in my example Prepar3D. So, if Microsoft wants to take a significant or even the biggest bite of the flight sim pie, the big name aircraft developers have to have a way to transfer their products. This is not backwards compatibility but more “convertability”. Also, remember that the reason backwards compatibility for Prepar3D has a bad reputation is because Prepar3D did not make a fresh start from FSX but developed from FSX, carrying along old limitations.

To sum up, good aircraft is what keeps you in a simulator, visuals are good but is not a part of flight simulation but scenery simulation and default MSFS aircraft wont be good enough for the hardcore flight simmer. 

There is an fundamental flaw in your argument, this isn't one small time software company developing this Flight Sim, it's the biggest tech company in the world, they have very deep pockets, if they wanted to buy out say PMDG, FSL or any Flightsim company except Lockheed Martin who are really a defense company (maybe Microsoft have a clause in their contract with LM to buy back everything sold to them) with a huge talent pool of gifted devs. At the end of the day Microsoft could bully there way to ensuring that MSFS is a success if they wish to.

AMD Ryzen 5800X3D, GIGABYTE X570 Aorus Ultra, 32GB DDR4 3600 MHz RAM, 2* 1 TB SSD,1*4 TB M.2, 2*1 TB M.2, (4TB) HDD,RADEON RX 6800XT NITRO+ OC SE 16GB GDDR6, NZXT Kraken X73, NZXT 710 Case, X55 JOYSTICK/THROTTLES, LG 4K monitor, Dell 1080 monitor. Honeycomb Alpha Yoke, Bravo Throttle. Thrustmaster TPR Pedals. Tobii Eye tracker.

Apropos to nothing, I was looking at other games that were released in 2006. Call of duty 3 was one of them. That game was cutting edge at the time, but looks horribly dated now. The ESP code is basically the same. You could add a few modern bells and whistles to cod3 to make it look better, but it still isn’t going to look as good as a bona fide, modern game - this is essentially what p3d is. 

The difference between fsx and msfs20 could be comparable to cod3 and red dead redemption 2, or even the new call of duty modern warfare game. I’m not sure some people grasp how much better this sim could be than fsx if they’ve built it from the ground up. Night and day. 

7 minutes ago, Wobbie said:

Here's the complete list of organizations under the Xbox Game Studios banner:

• 343 Industries (Halo)
  • The Coalition (Gears of War 5)
  • Compulsion Games (We Happy Few)
  • The Initiative (led by 2013 Tomb Raider boss David Gallagher)
  • inXile Entertainment (Wasteland 2)
  • Minecraft (Minecraft)
  • Ninja Theory (DmC: Devil May Cry, Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice)
  • Obsidian Entertainment (Fallout: New Vegas)
  • Playground Games (Forza Horizon)
  • Rare (Sea of Thieves)
  • Turn 10 Studios (Forza Motorsport)
  • Undead Labs (State of Decay)
  • Xbox Global Publishing Group

As you can see above, those are the names of the Studios(343, Rare etc). As you quoted, XGS (Xbox Game Studios) is a DIVISION, not a STUDIO.

Do you know in which of those studios above the new Flight Simulator is being developed? Is it a new Studio? Unless you have a reliable source for the naming of it, we still have no clue which is the Studio name.

Edited by ca_metal

5 minutes ago, eaim said:

There is an fundamental flaw in your argument, this isn't one small time software company developing this Flight Sim, it's the biggest tech company in the world, they have very deep pockets, if they wanted to buy out say PMDG, FSL or any Flightsim company except Lockheed Martin who are really a defense company (maybe Microsoft have a clause in their contract with LM to buy back everything sold to them) with a huge talent pool of gifted devs. At the end of the day Microsoft could bully there way to ensuring that MSFS is a success if they wish to.

I don't see a problem with my argument. You say a different story, that Microsoft can buy them, this is of course if they wanted also. In that case the "big aircraft developers" will still work to make the add-ons work in the new sim, but under the label of Microsoft. So we say the same thing, without them the new sim won't be a good proposition for the hardcore simmer. 

Edited by Daedalus

Simulators: Prepar3D v5 Academic | X-Plane 1111.50+ | DCS  World  Open Beta MSFS 2020 Premium Deluxe | 
PC Hardware: Dell U3417W Intel i9 10900K | msi RTX 2080 Ti  Gaming X Trio msi MPG Z490 Gaming Edge Wifi | G.Skill 32GB 3600Mhz CL16 | Samsung 970 EVO Plus+860 EVO+850 EVO x 1TB, Western Digital Black Caviar Black x 6 TB Corsair RM1000i Corsair H115i Platinum Fractal Design Define S2 Gunmetal |
Flight Controls: Fulcrum One Yoke Virpil VPC WarBRD Base Virpil VPC MongoosT-50CM Grip, Thrustmaster Warthog+F/A-18C Grip Thrustmaster TPR Rudder Pedals | Virtual Fly TQ6+Throttle Quadrant | Sismo B737 Max Gear Lever | TrackIR 5Monsterteck Desk Mounts |
My fleet catalog: Link                                                                                                                                                       

Erm... Xbox Game Studio is a division of MS, correct, & all MS's games, including MFS, will be developed & marketed by Xbox Games Studio.

It's pretty irrelevant as to who ACTUALLY 'codes' the games, it could be a combination of any listed, & its obvious that's a new Studio thats replaced  Microsoft Studios, Microsoft Game Studios, and Microsoft Games. Just as Aces Games Studio was a division of MS.

Robin

"Onward & Upward" ...

3 minutes ago, Wobbie said:

Erm... Xbox Game Studio is a division of MS, correct, & all MS's games, including MFS, will be developed & marketed by Xbox Games Studio.

It's pretty irrelevant as to who ACTUALLY 'codes' the games, it could be a combination of any listed, & its obvious that's a new Studio thats replaced  Microsoft Studios, Microsoft Game Studios, and Microsoft Games. Just as Aces Games Studio was a division of MS.

So... What's the big of deal to call it the new "ACES"?

Edited by ca_metal