Sign in to follow this  
flytrumpet767

New MS Flight Sim shown at E3 - Updated Information

58 minutes ago, ricka47 said:

I'm not so sure.  There has a been a steady flow of people coming to XP11 from P3D - I'm one of them.  But, there is still much missing in XP such as seasons, a good weather engine, decent ATC, traffic) and the add ons for those missing items are far from plug and play in many cases. 

So, unless LR listens to its customers better (which has not been their strong point in my opinion), there may be quite a few who move to (or back to) MSFS if the new sim makes good on what we think may happen.

I hope that you are right, that it may push LR to develop the product further.  But, Austin seems to often go in the direction of his interests rather than those of the customer.

It has nothing to do with LR not listening. They have a budget and priorities. You cant build the penthouse and pool first. You need to build the foundation, then frame the walls and then run the electrical, plumbing, etc...

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D, 6800XT, Ram - 32GB, 32" 4K Monitor, WIN 11, XP-12 !

Eric Escobar

17 minutes ago, LHookins said:

If there is anything I can't live without, I still have the older sim.

This.  I think all of us are as excited as we used to be years ago when a new MSFS release was coming.  It feels that way again, only moreso.  No doubt we'll be waiting a while for study level aircraft in the new sim, but we'll still have our current sims with all our favorites to keep us satisfied.  This post from MS seems better then I could have hoped for.  To quote a line from one of my favorite movies... "I hate waiting!"  ... but wait I shall, and with renewed excitement.

Edited by dmiannay
  • Like 1

Doug Miannay

PC: i9-13900K (OC 6.1) | ASUS Maximus Z790 Hero | ASUS Strix RTX4080 (OC) | ASUS ROG Strix LC II 360 AIO | 32GB G.Skill DDR5 TridentZ RGB 6400Hz | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB M.2 (OS/Apps) | Samsung 990 Pro 2TB M.2 (Sim) | Samsung 990 Pro 2TB M.2 (Games) | Fractal Design Define R7 Blackout Case | Win11 Pro x64

I’d be surprised if it wasn’t using the ESP code base. Yes, you can take ‘old’ code and add, rewrite and even delete parts of it, e.g the rendering pipeline with nice shiny reflections. Or code to display the new 3D city data from Bing maps etc.

Even if the sim was totally new, “rewritten from the ground up”, you could still make it backwards compatible. MS is the king of legacy.

I think scenery could be backwards compatible, a polygon is still just 3 points no matter how much you want to optimise it. Having said that, it’s not my area of expertise. Otherwise the devs can report their source files with the new sdk. A lot of work to test it manually which is what you have to do. 

Edited by NZ255
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, devgrp said:

I guess all the people who wanted this to fail doesnt have anything to say now? we finally have a chance to get a new updated sim and people are up in arms about it. Isnt this want we always wanted? lmao

Come on!!! No one has ever "wanted this to fail"! 

This is exactly the kind of hostile, condescending and juvenile comment, that makes one to leave this forum for good - and really for good! 

Come one - get your head-out-of-your-******* *SIGH*

Regarding the updated info: Well, I must say (okay, admit) that this sounds really, really encouraging. I'm more than happy to be proven wrong - and this does sound very nice and exciting. Let's hope, that the 3rd party developers and Microsoft can agree on a business model etc... 🙂

But it does sound like good times ahead!  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Best regards,
--Anders Bermann--

Pilot-ID: SAS2471

1 hour ago, 188AHC said:

To the question of using current add ons, I hope not. I'm all for a completely new, optimised simulator core. It's time to move on and experience a new era. 

It's definitely a new graphics engine core, whether it is "optimised" for multi-core and efficient GPU processing etc is another question.

With a modern Graphics engine, it's likely there will be all new formats for scenery and aircraft addons, meaning no backwards compatibility.

If we are lucky Microsoft will include tools to build addons and make it easy to use. They also need to get the idea to use Shared Scenery Libraries, so that you can re-use objects and textures that others donate.

Although I like x-plane 11 a LOT I am ready to buy the new MS sim NOW...RIGHT NOW....I don't care if I have to buy a whole new pc and $ 2500.00 worth of video cards !!  I'm so excited I'm thinking of hiding 5K in pillow away from wifey just for this !!!!    WOOOOHOOOOOO

4 minutes ago, Greazer said:

If we are lucky Microsoft will include tools to build addons and make it easy to use. They also need to get the idea to use Shared Scenery Libraries, so that you can re-use objects and textures that others donate.

One possibility is that they could copy the X-Plane "Gateway" model for free user-made airports added to a central database, and regularly updated with each patch for the main sim. Provide similar "Lego" building block tools, so users can easily create plausible, if not always payware quality airports all over the world.

That's why you can fly so many places in XP11 and see a 3D airport there, instead of the old bare runways in XP10. Laminar leveraged the fanatic interest of users to create their own basic airports in their local areas. Every time there's a major patch, we get more 3D airports all over the world.

This still allows a payware model for 3rd party devs who can make fancier versions of airports using 3D modeling software for uniquely shaped terminal buildings and other objects, that go beyond what most end-users can do with the basic tools provided in the sim. 

• Like 4

X-Plane and Microsoft Flight Simulator on Windows 10 
i7 6700 4.0 GHz, 32 GB RAM, GTX 1660 ti, 1920x1200 monitor

30 minutes ago, Greazer said:

With a modern Graphics engine, it's likely there will be all new formats for scenery and aircraft addons, meaning no backwards compatibility.

And what if the aircraft can be ported over, just like porting from ESP to XP, but less effort?

Suddenly, we have many of our favorite aircraft in a new sim..

What is wrong with that scenario? :wink:

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Bert

8 hours ago, Daedalus said:

In my opinion, a new sim can’t succeed without the big players in aircraft add ons that we have now in Prepar3D. If you don’t believe me do this thought experiment:

Like I said its best you stay with p3d. This is a new sim and I'm sure it will have new tech that will make some of the addons look dated when the devs start doing what they do. I'm into study level sim and one I miss the most when I went to XP was the Q400 from Majestic but that never brought me back to the the aging p3d. If MS really makes this the sim that everyone wants then the addons will eventually come. If you cant wait you can always continue playing p3d

• Upvote 3

47 minutes ago, Anders Bermann said:

This is exactly the kind of hostile, condescending and juvenile comment, that makes one to leave this forum for good - and really for good! 

Regarding the updated info: Well, I must say (okay, admit) that this sounds really, really encouraging. I'm more than happy to be proven wrong - and this does sound very nice and exciting. Let's hope, that the 3rd party developers and Microsoft can agree on a business model etc... 🙂

How is that anymore hostile than the people saying MS abandoned us, and MS is only in it for the money etc... These are some of the same atitude we saw when DTG was trying to bring something new to the table. alot of people didnt even give them a chance, similar to how alot of people on  the forum has been towards MS

• Like 3

59 minutes ago, Daedalus said:

In my opinion, a new sim can’t succeed without the big players in aircraft add ons that we have now in Prepar3D. If you don’t believe me do this thought experiment:

The new MSFS is released today, none of the big name P3D developers can convert their products to the new simulator so they are forced to stay out or start new projects from zero. Time to release a project from zero can take at least 3-5 years for each aircraft for a developer based on past experience. In the meantime to keep profits and stay alive these companies should keep selling. So lets say the first years of MSFS release, FSL releases the A321 next year an A330, PMDG the 737 NG3 and Max or another long haul, A2A the aerostar, military trainers, Majestic the Q300 etc etc. Will people buy these? Certainly yes. This means Prepar3D can’t be replaced. The study level simulation aspect of flight simulation will not stop because a new simulator has new generation terrain and weather. People who love flight simulation because of the available aircraft systems accuracy and real world procedures possibilities will continue using in my example Prepar3D. So, if Microsoft wants to take a significant or even the biggest bite of the flight sim pie, the big name aircraft developers have to have a way to transfer their products. This is not backwards compatibility but more “convertability”. Also, remember that the reason backwards compatibility for Prepar3D has a bad reputation is because Prepar3D did not make a fresh start from FSX but developed from FSX, carrying along old limitations.

To sum up, good aircraft is what keeps you in a simulator, visuals are good but is not a part of flight simulation but scenery simulation and default MSFS aircraft wont be good enough for the hardcore flight simmer. 

I share your concern.

Hopefully the new SDK (it will likely have a new fancier name:biggrin:) will be very complete and very useful. Also, hopefully MS will provide tools to help 3PP develop faster and more efficiently, so the only excuse for taking more than a year to develop complex aircraft or anything else will be laziness.

Maybe its time, and maybe it will be possible for flight sim developers go full time...that would be huge news; develop a 757 in 6 months instead of 6 centuries 😂.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Rob_Ainscough said:

3rd party development, excellent news indeed.

Cheers, Rob

I hope that you will be one of them ...

• Upvote 2

- Harry 

i9-13900K (HT off, 5.5 GHz, Z690) - 32 GB RAM (DDR5 6400, CAS 34), RTX 3090Windows 11 Pro (1TB M.2) - MSFS 2020 (MS Store, on separate 4TB M.2).

5 hours ago, pracines said:

It looks like bad news for Froogle 😂 (sorry I had to say it 🤣),  DCS, XP, and all the others. Unless its "all talk and no action", this will be very difficult to compete with or beat.

The king has returned....great news for me.😁 

While those are very good news, monopolies are never to be desired, so i hope there is competition. Without XP11 we might not have had the implementation of PBR and 64 bits on P3D. 

I also believe that DCS is in a completely different league. Most civilian simmers are not interested in combat flight simulation and vice-versa.

Therefore, I don’t see how DCS is affected by this, especially when you take into consideration the exceptional quality and complexity of some of its add-ons and what is in the pipeline for that sim (F-16, new Nimitz Carrier with military-grade ATC communications, dynamic campaigns, etc). MSFS is not competing with that...

• Like 3

PC1: AMD Ryzen 7800X3D | Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity | Asus TUF X670E-Plus | G.SKILL Trident Z5 NEO 32GB DDR5 PC 6000 CL30 | 4TB NVMe  | Noctua NH-D15 | Asus TUF 1000W Gold | be quiet! Pure Base 500DX | Noctua NH-D15S | LG OLED CX 48"

PC2: AMD Ryzen 7700X | PowerColor Radeon RX 6800 XT Red Dragon | MSI MPG B650I EDGE  ITX | G.SKILL Flare Expo X5 32GB DDR5 PC 6000 CL32 | 2TB NVMe  | Cooler Master Hyper | Lian Li 750W SFX Gold | Lian Li TU150 | SAMSUNG Odyssey G9 49"

GoFlight GF-PRO NG 737 Yoke System - Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog - Honeycomb Bravo Throttle - MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals - TrackIR - Stream Deck XL + Stream Deck Plus

1 hour ago, Anders Bermann said:

Better to be proven wrong of a kinda pessimistic view than be proven wrong of an optimistic view.

- Harry 

i9-13900K (HT off, 5.5 GHz, Z690) - 32 GB RAM (DDR5 6400, CAS 34), RTX 3090Windows 11 Pro (1TB M.2) - MSFS 2020 (MS Store, on separate 4TB M.2).