Sign in to follow this  
HeLord

GTX 1070 - Upgrade now or wait?

Hi!

I have GTX 1070 + 7700K @4.8 and I am running P3D and X-Plane in 4K. This setup struggles to maintain 25 or 30 fps on demanding scenarios and I am considering upgrading. I could get used GTX 1080 TI with warranty for 470€. What do you think, should I grab this or wait for the new Nvidia ´Super´ cards? New cards will probably lower the prices of used 1080 TI's.

My budget is around 500€.

Thanks!

1 hour ago, HeLord said:

Hi!

I have GTX 1070 + 7700K @4.8 and I am running P3D and X-Plane in 4K. This setup struggles to maintain 25 or 30 fps on demanding scenarios and I am considering upgrading. I could get used GTX 1080 TI with warranty for 470€. What do you think, should I grab this or wait for the new Nvidia ´Super´ cards? New cards will probably lower the prices of used 1080 TI's.

My budget is around 500€.

Thanks!

A newer video card may or may not make much of a difference in your "demanding scenarios"..

Before you spend a lot of money.. are you sure that the GPU is indeed the bottleneck?

Bert

It's also worth waiting for the Vulkan update to X-Plane 11 to see what transpires.

Jude Bradley
Beech Baron: Uh, ATC, verify you want me to taxi in front of the 747?
ATC: Yeah, it's OK. He's not hungry.

X-Plane 11 and P3D v4

System specs: Windows 10  Pro 64-bit, i9-9900KF  Gigabyte Z390 RTX-2070, 32GB RAM  1X 1TB M2 for X-Plane 11, 1x 500GB SSD for P3Dv4, 1x256GB SSD for OS.

Thanks for the replies guys!

1 hour ago, Bert Pieke said:

A newer video card may or may not make much of a difference in your "demanding scenarios"..

Before you spend a lot of money.. are you sure that the GPU is indeed the bottleneck?

I guess the bottleneck in my case is the GPU. For example when I am flying FSLabs at night and I have a certain amount of lights on, MSI Afterburner shows that my GPU usage is constantly 100%. CPU usage hits 100% only now and then.

• Like 1

Save up and get a RTX2080. Handles weather like a champ!

Flight Simulator - P3D V4 | Operating System - WINDOWS 10 | Main Board - GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS PRO | CPU - INTEL 9600k ALL 6-Core's 5.0Ghz @ 1.37v | RAM - CORSAIR 16Gig DDR4 3400Mhz | Video Card - GIGABYTE RTX2080 OC Monitor - DELL 38" ULTRAWIDE | Case - CORSAIR 750D FULL TOWER W/RGB | CPU Cooling - CORSAIR H115i CUSTOM LOOP W/ DUAL 280MM RADIATORS | Case Cooling - (5) 140MM, (1) 120MM, (1) 80MM CASE FANS | Power Supply - EVGA 1000+ 

Just a 2080 or 2080ti?

Ollie G

System: 8700K @ 5.0Ghz, Asus ROG Strix Z370F MoBo, H100i v2, Gigabyte 1070 XTreme Gaming Edition, 500 Gb & 1Tb Samsung 850 SSD, 500GB WD HDD as library, Oculus Rift & Touch, Saitek Yoke, throttles and rudder

Flight Sims: FSX and P3D v4.2 - Orbx Global, Vector, Europe LC & Others, REX TD & SC Enhanced, AS16, ASCA, Chaseplane, Flyinside, UK2000 Scenery and FSFX stuff!

13 hours ago, 9GTurn said:

Just a 2080 or 2080ti?

Get the new 2080 Super.

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit

22 hours ago, vortex681 said:

Get the new 2080 Super.

That one seems like a much better value. Just heard and read about that one.   Its too bad there isnt a 11gb vram option for it though.  With all this new scenery rendering and to get further distance, having more vram would surely help.  

Dave Seminchuk  CYVR LSZH FDX Virtual, Fly Virtual.
pmdg_trijet.jpgBoeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

13 hours ago, HighTowers said:

That one seems like a much better value. Just heard and read about that one.   Its too bad there isnt a 11gb vram option for it though.  With all this new scenery rendering and to get further distance, having more vram would surely help.  

8gb is not going to cut it in the future. I am pushing 8gb in xplane. 2080ti is 1K, grrrr. I will upgrade next year. Hopefully, AMD has something to compete in the high end that's more affordable.

AMD Ryzen 7 1800x, 1080GTX, Ram - 32GB, 32" 4K Monitor, WIN 10, XP-11 !

Eric Escobar