Sign in to follow this  
Dominique_K

Subscription

41 minutes ago, rjfry said:

There can be an upside MS can keep your sim updated and repaired at the click of a mouse. 

You don't need a subscription model for that. Steam already upgrades your games automatically when you log in.

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit

3 hours ago, vortex681 said:

You don't need a subscription model for that. Steam already upgrades your games automatically when you log in.

Not FSX:SE you have do that yourself in settings then scan for missing files.

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg

1 hour ago, rjfry said:

Not FSX:SE you have do that yourself in settings then scan for missing files.

I was talking about patches and updates to new games - bug fixes, new features etc. are all automatically downloaded in Steam.

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit

The only thing in the FS world that I pay a monthly subscription for, is with Navigraph. If MSFS2020 includes updated nav data, and it's reasonably priced, then I'd have no problem going down this route. There are far bigger issues to worry about.

• Upvote 2

Best regards,

Neal McCullough

PC Game pass Beta special price £1 Month now normally £3.99 mth.

Raymond Fry.

5 hours ago, rjfry said:

PC Game pass Beta special price £1 Month now normally £3.99 mth.

$1.00 per month and for how long as we are waiting for the sim in 2020 or so they say? Is there an advantage to getting this now, not knowing if MFS will require it yet? I don't really play any other games. except Tomb Raider and a Train Simulator. Guess we really won't know till MFS is released.

"Coffee, if your not shaking, you need another cup"
Flight Sim Break Discord Channel: https://discord.com/invite/fCV62Ka2QZ

9 hours ago, Learjet777 said:

$1.00 per month and for how long as we are waiting for the sim in 2020 or so they say? Is there an advantage to getting this now, not knowing if MFS will require it yet? I don't really play any other games. except Tomb Raider and a Train Simulator. Guess we really won't know till MFS is released.

You can get goat simulator next month 😁 but I would wait for now.

Raymond Fry.

14 hours ago, rjfry said:

You can get goat simulator next month 😁 but I would wait for now.

Has anyone tries the Beta Xbox Game Pass for PC yet? I am getting ready to signup for I guess the First Month for $1.00, right? They have an old Lara Croft Tomb Raider and I want to see how it works, the basics at least for Microsoft Flight Simulator in the future. In the E3 trailer video it states "Play with Xbox Game Pass at launch" in big white letters at the bottom of the trailer. And just get used to using it to see if I like it or not. And this is how they are going to get some people, I guess. I'll try the $1.00 and if they add say like Shadow Of the Tomb Raider for PC ( they have it for Xbox console already) for me.

BTW, do I get a FREE Xbox with the $1.00 Subscription 🙂 It's a joke people. Anyone else tried the PC beta Subscription yet for $1.00? Is the Forza Horizon 4 playable on PC? I am testing the subscription model for the flight simulator community, yeah right 🙂 Actually I am testing it for me.

"Coffee, if your not shaking, you need another cup"
Flight Sim Break Discord Channel: https://discord.com/invite/fCV62Ka2QZ

34 minutes ago, Learjet777 said:

Has anyone tries the Beta Xbox Game Pass for PC yet? I am getting ready to signup for I guess the First Month for $1.00, right? They have an old Lara Croft Tomb Raider and I want to see how it works, the basics at least for Microsoft Flight Simulator in the future. In the E3 trailer video it states "Play with Xbox Game Pass at launch" in big white letters at the bottom of the trailer. And just get used to using it to see if I like it or not. And this is how they are going to get some people, I guess. I'll try the $1.00 and if they add say like Shadow Of the Tomb Raider for PC ( they have it for Xbox console already) for me.

BTW, do I get a FREE Xbox with the $1.00 Subscription 🙂 It's a joke people. Anyone else tried the PC beta Subscription yet for $1.00? Is the Forza Horizon 4 playable on PC? I am testing the subscription model for the flight simulator community, yeah right 🙂 Actually I am testing it for me.

Yes I got it within 5 minutes of finding out it had football manager on it 🙂

I also downloaded Forza horizon 4 and yes it’s playable as long as you have a relatively decent pc. The graphics scaling tech works extremely well. I play at 4k with that switched on and it never drops from 60 fps

Edited by Superdelphinus

I used to have both a Game Pass + an Xbox Live subscription (that what happens, when you have 2 kids, 10 and 12...), which was about 20$/month ( my sub is paid in CHF, so it might not be exact ), because they used to be two separate 10$ + 10$ subscriptions, the Xbox Game Pass to get access to 100+ games, and the Xbox Live to have the ability to play online with other people.

Now, they added PC support, and gave previous users the ability to convert their existing subs to the new "Game Pass Ultimate", which is about 15$/month, now including Xbox Game Pass ( 100+ Xbox games ), Xbox Live, and PC Game Pass as well.

I think this is a great value, 180$/year is about the cost of 3 new games, and I bet someone with an Xbox + PC will surely spend more than that every year.

And, what MS said about Game Pass to be a chance for niche games to being known to a larger public, is entirely true. If you have 180$ to spend every year, you'll likely buy the next Battlefield, the next GTA/RDR2, the next Halo, the next Forza or the next FIFA/NBA/NFL game, and then your gaming budget ended, because you spent it entirely on the Blockbusters you don't want to miss. I'm trying to imagine a typical gaming user, the one MS would like to have him TRY Flight Simulator for once.

With Game Pass, you have the luxury to try new things, getting to know games you might have never considered for a purchase. This is especially true for INDIE Games or games from smaller publishers. There are some out there which are VERY good, just this week me and the kids discovered a couple of very nice games we never heard of:

Astroneer ( sort of No Man's Sky, with a nice cartoonish graphic )

Surviving Mars ( sort of Sim City on Mars, very nice )

I doubt I would ever noticed any of them, if it wasn't for the Game Pass subscription.

And what are, exactly, 3rd party flight sim developers, if not INDIES ? That's what we are.

Edited by virtuali

I am not going to pay $180 for Microsoft Flight Simulator every year. Neither is enough other people going to do that in order to make MS any money on this simulator.

MS needs to sell the game on Steam. And all 3rd parties need to sell any and all add-ons thru Steam, paying MS a royalty for every add-on sold. That is how MS needs to make a profit on this sim.

Flightsimulator fans in general or NOT gamers, especially hard core FS fans with expensive simulation hardware.

• Like 1

Ryzen5 5800X3D, RTX4070, 600 Watt, TWO Dell S3222DGM 32" screens spanned with Nvidia surround 5185 x 1440p, 32 GB RAM, 4 TB  PCle 3 NVMe, Warthog throttle, CH Flightstick, Honeycomb Alpha yoke, CH quad, 3 Logitech panels, 2 StreamDecks, Desktop Aviator Trim Panel.

1 hour ago, Fielder said:

MS needs to sell the game on Steam. And all 3rd parties need to sell any and all add-ons thru Steam, paying MS a royalty for every add-on sold. That is how MS needs to make a profit on this sim.

Steam takes a 30% cut unless your sales run into the millions, and then it only goes down to 25%.

You want 3rd party developers to pay MS a royalty on top of that? Somehow I don't think that's realistic. 

If MS sells it as a subscription, they would make enough money to let 3rd party devs make their own choice about whether to use Steam or sell through their own storefront. No royalties needed.

Subscription would be the solution to the problem MS had with FSX and Flight -- "How do we make enough money to continue development of the sim with a one-time $50 box sale every few years, and we get nothing from the add-on sales?"

That's pure conjecture of course. We don't know what the plan is.

Edited by Paraffin

X-Plane and Microsoft Flight Simulator on Windows 10 
i7 6700 4.0 GHz, 32 GB RAM, GTX 1660 ti, 1920x1200 monitor

I don't think Microsoft Google Sony and others are going to plough vast resources into setting up a systems that the customer can bypass, that's not to say it will not be on steam but I would check the TACs before you purchase you my find "requires Game Pass to play this Title"   

Raymond Fry.

I’m not so sure this will be a streaming/ subscription proposition - I think there are hints both ways. 

On one hand you have that booty guy talking about how streaming is the future of gaming (though he wasn’t specifically talking about msfs, and was also including ultra fast SSDs in his definition of streaming), but on the other if it is going to be available on game pass then it would seem quite strange to add a subscription price on top of that. Who knows. 

Either way I think I would find something between £10-15 a month pretty palatable for something like this, given I pay about £10 to adobe for photoshop and lightroom, £10 to Spotify for basically every bit of music ever, and £10 or so to each of amazon and Netflix for masses of tv and film content. 

Anymore than that and it starts to get into taking the Micky territory, although I noticed that skypark thing (not sure who is developing it) I think works out at about £10 a month for what basically looks like a £5 iPad app, so the flight sim world obviously exists in its own weird world. 

Sorry, not paying $180 bucks for Ortho Streaming every year. 

X Plane community has Ortho4xp utility to generate worldwide tiles at no cost.

So how far can that $180 budget be spent towards XP scenery?  Probably 10 plus extreme quality payware airports (on sale) each year.