Sign in to follow this  
Dominique_K

Subscription

4 hours ago, Superdelphinus said:

Either way I think I would find something between £10-15 a month pretty palatable for something like this.

120-180 GNP per annum for a flight sim program? No way I would pay that. It would be dead before long if those were the charges.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Considering what I pay for Internet, Cable TV, Adobe, MS Office, Netflix, Google Play Music, an extra $20 or so a month would be worth it to me.  Of course, it would depend upon what came with that charge in terms of basic features and future benefits.

Rick Abshier

5900X | RTX3080 | 32 GB@3600 | India Pale Ale

1 hour ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

120-180 GNP per annum for a flight sim program? No way I would pay that. It would be dead before long if those were the charges.

For me it would be worth it, yes. I play £120 a year for photoshop and lightroom and id get a lot more use out of this.

not saying it’s right for everyone, and I did write in another thread somewhere that one thing I’m concerned about is that subscription models potentially exclude large groups of people from the community, which is almost never a good thing to happen in any walk of life. 

But purely for me, I think it would be worth it. 

• Upvote 1

At the moment the full price of game pass is £3.99 not £15 I pay £7.99 for Amazon prime which I can drop for game pass.

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg

On 6/22/2019 at 4:51 PM, ricka47 said:

Considering what I pay for Internet, Cable TV, Adobe, MS Office, Netflix, Google Play Music, an extra $20 or so a month would be worth it to me.

I agree in principle, but not for $20! Many people here probably use a flight sim more regularly (and for longer) than they use Netflix or Amazon but are happy to pay for those just in case they get bored. The monthly subscription cost probably wouldn't even buy you a couple of coffees or a cheap lunch. You need to put it all into perspective.

Edited by vortex681

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit

Yes as has been pointed out it is £8 full price. I pay that for prepar3d for the developer license. Granted that gives me two copies if prepar3d but this gives me many games and saves me money in my Xbox live subscription.

This is all still based in the probably false assumption that it will only be available via subscription. So far all Microsoft games have been available to buy even the ones on game pass.

• Upvote 1

46 minutes ago, tutmeister said:

Yes as has been pointed out it is £8 full price. I pay that for prepar3d for the developer license. Granted that gives me two copies if prepar3d but this gives me many games and saves me money in my Xbox live subscription.

This is all still based in the probably false assumption that it will only be available via subscription. So far all Microsoft games have been available to buy even the ones on game pass.

People are getting confused on what each service provides. 

Phil Spencer said in different occasions they don't want to limit the ways you can get their games, doesn't matter if you want to buy on store A or B, or just want to pay for the Game Pass service and have access to their library. There's no indication that any of their games will be accessible only by the Game Pass subscription.

In the other hand, they will release a new service in october called XCloud. This will be their Games Streaming service (Like Google's Stadia). This is the service that MIGHT be needed to stream the scenery, as it MIGHT be too large to be stored locally.   

What I meant is, there's no indication you will have to subscribe to the Game Pass to get the New MSFS, but you MIGHT have to subscribe the XCloud service to get access to some features. We will know for sure when they explain how the sim works. Before that, it's all speculation.

Edited by ca_metal

Kinda surprised at the negativity to the subscription model...that is the reality these days .... Amazon Prime, Netflix, Spotify, etc...and I am sure the business case was predicated on the revenue model. If you are a serious simmer, $15 a month should not be an issue IMO...but they might surprise you with a lower cost per month if only using MSFS 2020 vice access to a host of Xbox Studio Games I could care less about ... or a one time fee if you don't care about updates, maybe can live with one season, or some other limiting factor that the subscription model will not be bound to

• Like 2

Scott Robinson

1 minute ago, Bandselect said:

Kinda surprised at the negativity to the subscription model.

I wish I were surprised.

This new Sim announcement is really showing how many in the Flight Sim genre are just crusty AF old stick in the mud curmudgeons about seemingly everything.

The cynicism, skepticism and sometimes outright negativity is just painful.  

• Like 4

26 minutes ago, Bandselect said:

Wait, I know, with the one-time payment model you get ads with MSFS 2020!

I love it.  While taking off in your X9 rocket plane ATC notifies you to abort as a banner pulling J3 is crossing your path. Then you have to taxi back to the beginning of the runway before another one shows up.😂😂

• Like 4

Thank you.

Rick

$Silver Donor

EAA 1317610   I7-7700K @ 4.5ghz, MSI Z270 Gaming MB,  32gb 3200,  Geforce RTX2080 Super O/C,  28" Samsung 4k Monitor,  Various SSD, HD, and peripherals

23 minutes ago, 188AHC said:

I love it.  While taking off in your X9 rocket plane ATC notifies you to abort as a banner pulling J3 is crossing your path. Then you have to taxi back to the beginning of the runway before another one shows up.😂😂

Which might cause an accident and you'll have to re-purchase your PMDG Boeing!

• Like 1

I’ve settled on an opinion that it won’t have a subscription. Primarily because I don’t see how that can work when it eventually makes its way to Xbox. Also what is the benefit of getting it via game pass if there is a large, yearly additional cost in subscribing it. It being on game pass becomes quite irrelevant at that point. 

Time will tell. I wonder whether it will be one of the first wave of games next year to need really fast SSDs to work properly though, which I think will become a requirement (at least for recommended level and above) as the new consoles come into play. 

Why don't you think it will be the same system than Google Stadia? This makes sense to me as they are competitors:

- 9€/ months you can access all their game library

Or

- you purchase the game in a one-time payment and you can access it via streaming.

Edited by Noooch

On 6/18/2019 at 7:29 PM, Greggy_D said:

MS has not stated this.  The purchase model is still unknown.

Yes the purchase model is unknown but I've seen nothing to suggest you can't purchase it as a one off, although it's good news that it's part of the game pass, its a selling point and a feature of the store, of course Microsoft want you to play as many of there games as you can!

• Like 1