Sign in to follow this  
HughesMDflyer4

August 8th Update - Microsoft is taking over support of FSX again

logo-300x87.png

In 2014 Microsoft entered into an agreement allowing Dovetail Games to bring Flight Simulator X to Steam. Today, we are announcing that we’ve reached the end of our partnership agreement.

We would like to take this opportunity to express our sincere appreciation to Dovetail Games for the partnership they’ve provided over the past 5 years. Going forward, Microsoft will take over support of Flight Simulator X and we look forward to sharing our next steps with the community in the very near future.

Paul Jackson CEO Dovetail adds “We are incredibly proud to have looked after this fantastic flight sim during the last 5 years and we will continue publishing existing and new add-ons for FSX: Steam Edition on Steam”.

This change will not impact your game experience or impact existing or future add-ons purchased from Steam.

Microsoft

The return of Microsoft Flight Simulator X is an important step in embracing our accountability and responsibility to those that have come before us. And to those that continue to value and invest in the Microsoft Flight Simulator X experience.

That passion, investment, and appreciation must be recognized and reflected in our commitment to carry the Microsoft Flight Simulator franchise into the next generation. We are not building on, but building from, the product and history that is Microsoft Flight Simulator X.

Today, with a bit of bittersweet sentiment, we say “Welcome Home” to an old friend.

More on our FSX plans coming soon…

Sincerely,

The Microsoft Flight Simulator Team

https://www.flightsimulator.com/fsx-august-8/

Edited by HughesMDflyer4

Brandon Filer

"The return of Microsoft Flight Simulator X is an important step in embracing our accountability and responsibility to those that have come before us. And to those that continue to value and invest in the Microsoft Flight Simulator X experience.

That passion, investment, and appreciation must be recognized and reflected in our commitment to carry the Microsoft Flight Simulator franchise into the next generation. We are not building on, but building from, the product and history that is Microsoft Flight Simulator X.

Today, with a bit of bittersweet sentiment, we say “Welcome Home” to an old friend.

More on our FSX plans coming soon…"

So we're calling the new sim FSX now? Or does that mean they're just taking over the publishing of FSX on Steam, and this announcement has nothing to do with the new MSFS? It's a bit ambiguous...

Edited by Paraffin
typo

X-Plane and Microsoft Flight Simulator on Windows 10 
i7 6700 4.0 GHz, 32 GB RAM, GTX 1660 ti, 1920x1200 monitor

Lol - I was hoping to some new upgrades etc like 64bit support etc.  

How much money did Dovetail lose on this deal? or in better words - how much did they spent? I hope they recouped their investment.  Steam FSX is improved slightly, and appreciative of their support on it.

Active Pattern: MSFS2020 | In Long term Storage: Prepar3d  

How I Evaluate Third Party Sim Addon Developers

Refined P3Dv5.0 HF2 Settings Part1 (has MaddogX) and older thread Part 2 (has PMDG 747)

2 minutes ago, Paraffin said:

So we're calling the new sim FSX now? Or does that mean they're just taking over the publishing of FSX on Steam, and this announcement has nothing to do with the new MSFS? It's a big ambiguous...

They're making the new sim and also taking responsibility for FSX. I'm thinking there's a lot of unfinished business (DX10 version for instance) and they want to make it right.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

5800X3D. 32 GB RAM. 1TB SATA SSD. 3TB HDD. RTX 3070 Ti.

1 minute ago, Paraffin said:

So we're calling the new sim FSX now? Or does that mean they're just taking over the publishing of FSX on Steam, and this announcement has nothing to do with the new MSFS? It's a bit ambiguous...

The only bit relevant to the new sim here is that it doesn’t look like they are building it on top of FSX. Which is good.

ive only read it once quickly though

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Paraffin said:

So we're calling the new sim FSX now? Or does that mean they're just taking over the publishing of FSX on Steam, and this announcement has nothing to do with the new MSFS? It's a big ambiguous...

It looks like they are taking over publishing of FSX...maybe it still generates enough revenue to justify. But I take "We are not building on, but building from, the product and history that is Microsoft Flight Simulator X." as a pretty good indication that the new sim is, in fact, new but uses the lessons learned from the past.

Interesting update...I can't imagine any further development of FSX though.....right?!?

Edited by snglecoil
  • Upvote 2

Chris

To be honest I was expecting a bit more relevant Information of the new sim than this.

• Like 8
  • Upvote 5

AMD Ryzen 5800X3D, GIGABYTE X570 Aorus Ultra, 32GB DDR4 3600 MHz RAM, 2* 1 TB SSD,1*4 TB M.2, 2*1 TB M.2, (4TB) HDD,RADEON RX 6800XT NITRO+ OC SE 16GB GDDR6, NZXT Kraken X73, NZXT 710 Case, X55 JOYSTICK/THROTTLES, LG 4K monitor, Dell 1080 monitor. Honeycomb Alpha Yoke, Bravo Throttle. Thrustmaster TPR Pedals. Tobii Eye tracker.

If they're building FROM FSX then that's a good indication that the new sim will at least be capable of doing everything FSX currently can.

• Upvote 1

5800X3D. 32 GB RAM. 1TB SATA SSD. 3TB HDD. RTX 3070 Ti.

I suspect dovetail did not want to extend the contract, because a new simulator is coming. Speculation!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Well, the "building from, not on" news is good, if it means what we think it means. With all the hype they've built with that trailer though, you'd think they could say a little more about the new product. Even if it's just another teaser.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

X-Plane and Microsoft Flight Simulator on Windows 10 
i7 6700 4.0 GHz, 32 GB RAM, GTX 1660 ti, 1920x1200 monitor

I hope this isn't the early august update

where is the update about MSFS ?

nobody cares about fsx

• Upvote 8

Just now, Paraffin said:

Well, the "building from, not on" news is good, if it means what we think it means. With all the hype they've built with that trailer though, you'd think they could say a little more about the new product. Even if it's just another teaser.

I'm hoping that there might be more info sooner than we are expecting. But I'm not not holding my breath....

AMD Ryzen 5800X3D, GIGABYTE X570 Aorus Ultra, 32GB DDR4 3600 MHz RAM, 2* 1 TB SSD,1*4 TB M.2, 2*1 TB M.2, (4TB) HDD,RADEON RX 6800XT NITRO+ OC SE 16GB GDDR6, NZXT Kraken X73, NZXT 710 Case, X55 JOYSTICK/THROTTLES, LG 4K monitor, Dell 1080 monitor. Honeycomb Alpha Yoke, Bravo Throttle. Thrustmaster TPR Pedals. Tobii Eye tracker.

Well, that was an update I guess.  I was really hoping for some new information about the NEW Microsoft Flight Simulator, the one I'm excited about.

Maybe next time.

“You’ve seen the cool footage of the future of the Flight Sim franchise. Now, watch as we divide our attention to this sim from 2005!”

(I’m still hopeful for MSFS but this is not a great look.)

• Like 4