Sign in to follow this  

Hello! 

In the past I used the pro flight yoke with its throttle quadrant. But the throttle quadrant isnt working anymore.

In the meantime I switched to the Warthog Joystick. But as I dont like to map prop and throttle to the warthogs both throttle levers I wondered if there is a "stand alone" throttle quadrant with throttle - propeller - mixture levers out there?

The pro flight throttle is only connectable via the yoke, unfortunately not via USB. But I didnt find much on my searches. 

Thank you! 

Klaus Schmitzer

i7-14700KF 5.6GHz Water Cooled /// ZOTAC RTX 4070 TI Super 16GB /// 32GB RAM DDR5 /// Win11 /// SSDs only

DCS - XP12 - MSFS2020

Luke Pype

If you can, I would suggest to wait until the new Honeycomb throttle quadrant is released (early next year?).

https://flyhoneycomb.com/bravo-throttle-quadrant-2/

It looks quite promising and I have read very positive comments from people who tried a demo model at flight sim conferences. I might get it myself, but I will wait until the first proper reviews are out.

Peter

1 hour ago, qqwertzde said:

If you can, I would suggest to wait until the new Honeycomb throttle quadrant is released (early next year?).

Peter

The Honeycomb throttle quadrant has three problems for me.

1) The angle of the levers at idle makes it very difficult to advance four of them in unison. At least the Saitek/Logitech units have a single cap that fits over the middle four levers allowing you to advance all four comparatively easy.

2) They still use pots so like the Saitek/Logitech units will eventually fail. Are replacements available? If not then the whole unit becomes unusable. I’ve thrown two old Saitek units away simply because a tiny pot could not be replaced. In this age of plastic waste that did not sit comfortably with me but there was no alternative.

3) This unit is not that much more expensive than 2 Saitek/Logitech units so is the quality that much better?

I really want a four engine version of the Virtual Fly TQ6 Plus Which is superb and now uses Hall Effect sensors but VF say it’s not economically possible.

For now I’m using a cheap throttle box to house my two Saitek/Logitech units which at least positions them at a comfortable angle. https://flightsimpm-uk.co.uk/product-category/quadrants/

I’m still  looking for a Hall-Effect four throttle six lever unit of good quality but none exist. 🙁

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

I have been using a CH yoke and quad for over ten years with no problems at all. The throttle has six axis with 12 programmable buttons. I have multiple profiles saved for different types from GA singles to twin and four engine jets to quad propliners Economical to purchase which means more to some of us then others.

Edited by PATCO LCH

Vic green

@PATCO LCH, perhaps the CH quadrant is worth closer inspection. I’ve had their pedals for over 10 years and they still work fine. They probably use better components than Saitek/Logitech.

The only drawback I can see with the CH is the limited travel. With shorter levers do you find that a problem? Certainly the idle position looks okay and I see they have replacement caps.

Also, two identical USB Logitech units makes it a problem with Windows/ FSUIPC5. Plug them in in a different order and they swap commands. With a single unit that problem disappears.

Certainly worth considering. 👍

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

I’ve ordered an fsxthrottle. I’ve heard there’s some pros and cons but the parts are all replaceable which is my deciding factor.

I’m coming from two saitek throttles that are jumping all around after a couple years. The reverser detent doesn’t work well at all. Sometimes when I go to idle the reversers come on and it’s not even in the detent. Also the two units will not get calibrated together well at all. It’s almost like they have different response curves for each throttle axis. I know a little difference between each axis is common but this isn’t even close.

Rhinozherous, if you don't need multiple throttles then I'd recommend a stand alone Saitek ProFlight throttle unit. It needs an usual USB port of your PC. Available same day.

Fritz

12 minutes ago, Pegaso said:

Rhinozherous, if you don't need multiple throttles then I'd recommend a stand alone Saitek ProFlight throttle unit. It needs an usual USB port of your PC. Available same day.

Fritz

This is the problem. As I wrote, I already used them (with the pro flight yoke) and they dont have a normal USB plug, they have a PS/2 plug which fits into the yoke. 

Or do they ship with normal USB when ordered alone without the yoke? 

Edited by Rhinozherous

Klaus Schmitzer

i7-14700KF 5.6GHz Water Cooled /// ZOTAC RTX 4070 TI Super 16GB /// 32GB RAM DDR5 /// Win11 /// SSDs only

DCS - XP12 - MSFS2020

2 hours ago, JasonPC said:

I’ve ordered an fsxthrottle. I’ve heard there’s some pros and cons but the parts are all replaceable which is my deciding factor.

I’m coming from two saitek throttles that are jumping all around after a couple years. The reverser detent doesn’t work well at all. Sometimes when I go to idle the reversers come on and it’s not even in the detent. Also the two units will not get calibrated together well at all. It’s almost like they have different response curves for each throttle axis. I know a little difference between each axis is common but this isn’t even close.

This looks very nice too

Klaus Schmitzer

DCS - XP12 - MSFS2020

3 minutes ago, Rhinozherous said:

This is the problem. As I wrote, I already used them (with the pro flight yoke) and they dont have a normal USB plug, they have these round plugs with pins in it which connect to the pro flight yoke... 

Or do they ship with normal USB when ordered alone without the yoke? 

You can buy two throttle quadrants and both will have USB plugs. The problem with that is you have to keep them plugged into the same sockets otherwise the commands on one will transfer to the other.

If you never unplug them, no problem. The plug you refer to is a PS/2 and prevents this problem.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

4 hours ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

@PATCO LCH, perhaps the CH quadrant is worth closer inspection. I’ve had their pedals for over 10 years and they still work fine. They probably use better components than Saitek/Logitech.

The only drawback I can see with the CH is the limited travel. With shorter levers do you find that a problem? Certainly the idle position looks okay and I see they have replacement caps.

Also, two identical USB Logitech units makes it a problem with Windows/ FSUIPC5. Plug them in in a different order and they swap commands. With a single unit that problem disappears.

Certainly worth considering. 👍

Hi Ray. The limited travel on the CH TQ does make for overly sensitive throttle adjustments on short final. I don't have any other means of comparison since these are the only ones I have ever owned. You just adapt or you can play with sensitivity settings which I don't do. The caps are easy to move. For example for my Maddog profile I use a blue on stick one, for speed brake, stick two and three for thrust levers, blue on four for flap axis, red on five for reverse, red on six for fuel levers.

I have another arrangement for QOTS, another for DC6, and another set up for C47 etc. At the star of each session I just go into axis setting and load the profile for that aircraft, place the caps accordingly and go. One thing I like about CH is versatility. The controls don't appear to look too much like a particular type of flying. Like some of the high enders look like GA or a737 orientation.Even the new Honeycomb looks like a Cessna.

In all honesty the price is a big factor too . The only thing with the CH yoke is you have to slip a magazine or coaster under the front to keep it from rocking and you can hear the spring in the elevator axis. I read a discussion on A2A that the Logitech has a detant to center that CH doesn't have which makes flare smoother in CH.

Anyway this is about throttle quadrant so how did I get off on yokes.

Vic green

Thanks for that Vic. There are very few reviews available for this unit but one user did mark the levers down for their limited travel and said trying to get equal thrust from them was difficult.

Trying to find a suitable quadrant is proving extremely difficult. I did research the FSX throttle but whilst the supplier builds each unit and provides a lifetime warranty his is a one-man operation. And he’s in his 60s so you should take that into consideration.

The VirtualFly TQ6 is very high quality and the levers are silky smooth in operation. But it’s aimed squarely at Dash-8 pilots and not suitable for four engine aircraft. Frustrating!

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

2 hours ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

d trying to get equal thrust from them was difficult.

Slightly true with throttle axis one and two but that could be a realism plus since the same probably holds true on a real aircraft. Especially a recip or a jet like the Maddog.

Anyway, best of luck with you're search. Fly Honeycomb looks interesting but it's going to take me a year of user comments to buy. I came close but I just couldn't pull the pay now trigger on an order of that much with a delivery date unknown between weeks or months. A lot to gamble site unseen. Go to their site now and they have sold out on the yoke and shipping date was the fifteenth of this month. A couple weeks ago I messaged them on their web site and asked for a round house date considering first come first serve on preorders and got nothing but crickets. Gotta have more assurance then that before I throw $219.

On the CH there are See Bee Creations extensions you can buy for certain types but I don't know if they would give you more leverage to finesse your throttles and they are awful expensive for plastic slip on over your throttle sticks. Let's face it. Our hobby in sore need for improved controls affordable to the commoner. 

Vic green

33 minutes ago, PATCO LCH said:

Slightly true with throttle axis one and two but that could be a realism plus since the same probably holds true on a real aircraft. Especially a recip or a jet like the Maddog.

Anyway, best of luck with you're search. Fly Honeycomb looks interesting but it's going to take me a year of user comments to buy. I came close but I just couldn't pull the pay now trigger on an order of that much with a delivery date unknown between weeks or months....

Let's face it. Our hobby in sore need for improved controls affordable to the commoner. 

Hi Vic, I would want to use any new quadrant with Concorde where at various stages in the flight all four throttles need advancing and retarding equally. That could be difficult with the CH. It is virtually impossible with the Virtual Fly.

I saw the Honeycomb at Lelystad, Holland almost two years ago but the 3D printed model wasn’t useable at all. I agree buying without reading reviews is risky.

I’ve  been looking for a quality quadrant for almost a year and still haven’t found one totally suitable. There is a gap in the market for a Hall-effect sensor, 6 axis quadrant which critically, has the levers at 30° when at idle making their handling both comfortable and with accuracy. Priced around 400-500GBP ensuring quality components.

If any electrical engineers with the required skills are reading this you could corner the market.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather