Sign in to follow this  
avi8tir

Is there any system in the world that can truly handle P3D?

Solution :

Fs2000 “As real as it gets..”

350+ fps 🤩

• Like 1

13900 8 cores @ 5.5-5.8 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.3 GHz (hyperthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D4 - GSkill Ripjaws 2x 16 Gb 4266 mhz @ 3200 mhz / cas 13 -  Inno3D RTX4090 X3 iCHILL 24 Gb - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 1Tb - Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - EKWB Extreme 240 liquid cooling set push/pull - 2x 55’ Sony 4K tv's as front view and right view.

13600  6 cores @ 5.1 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.0 GHz (hypterthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D - GSkill Trident 4x Gb 3200 MHz cas 15 - Asus TUF RTX 4080 16 Gb  - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Corsair D4000 Airflow case - NXT Krajen Z63 AIO liquide cooling - 1x 65” Sony 4K tv as left view.

FOV : 190 degrees

My flightsim vids :  https://www.youtube.com/user/fswidesim/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0

3 hours ago, simbol said:

Yes there is a system capable of handling anything you can imagine inside of P3D, ask Rob Ainscough about it.. he might build one for you, if you really, really want it :)

S.

Rob has a monster of a rig, that is true. But equally true is the fact that he posted already several videos over at YT showing the settings he use and guess what? Even on his monster rig, not all sliders are fully to the right with all possible settings activated.

Personally, I take the opposite position: yes, there are plenty of systems that handle Prepar3d pretty well, if you refrain from using everything on max. Those sliders are meant to be used, no? I found a pretty solid setup for me, providing enough FPS to have a very nice simming experience in most cases. If FPS drop to much, usually adjusting one or two settings instantly cure it, the most obvious ones being antialiasing and cloud draw distance in cloudy conditions or night time flying with DL on or autogen draw distance and density for any other conditions.

And, on top of this: due to the possibility to save settings in Prepar3d, you can quickly adjust the setup to your needs. In my case, I use a preset called "VFR flying" with almost all settings as high as possible and a preset called "Standard IFR" with settings reduced where it does not really matter if flying big planes in and out of heavy scenarios (such as shadow draw distance, reflections, autogen density etc.).

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Greetings, Chris

Intel i5-13600K, 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 RAM, MSI RTX 4080 Gaming X, Windows 11 Home, MSFS

Well, there are computers capable of handling P3D, but not P3D plus an indiscriminate truckload of heavy add-ons.

7 hours ago, Speedbird 217 said:

If the CTDs continue, check your OC. I have a similar setup to yours and my G.Skill 3200C14 32GB on XMP keeps causing CTDs with the FSLabs.

Thats even without any CPU or other OC. Dialling the XMP down to 3000 seems to improve stability (still testing).

You might try leaving the RAM at XMP timings and bump up the Vram a hundredth of a volt or two.  Voltage regulation can vary across motherboards, so it's possible the RAM tested out OK at XMP on the production line, but your mobo's voltage is varying from that.  I have some very good GSkill 3600 CAS 15 that threw occasional errors in MemTest86+ at stock voltage....a 0.015v bump was what the doctor ordered to keep it stable at XMP.

Regards

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

22 minutes ago, AnkH said:

Rob has a monster of a rig, that is true. But equally true is the fact that he posted already several videos over at YT showing the settings he use and guess what? Even on his monster rig, not all sliders are fully to the right with all possible settings activated.

You haven't see the latest of his videos? there were a couple of weeks ago.. he switched to a TITAN video card with lots of VRAM, the results were very impressive..

S.

1 hour ago, w6kd said:

Well, there are computers capable of handling P3D, but not P3D plus an indiscriminate truckload of heavy add-ons.

You might try leaving the RAM at XMP timings and bump up the Vram a hundredth of a volt or two.  Voltage regulation can vary across motherboards, so it's possible the RAM tested out OK at XMP on the production line, but your mobo's voltage is varying from that.  I have some very good GSkill 3600 CAS 15 that threw occasional errors in MemTest86+ at stock voltage....a 0.015v bump was what the doctor ordered to keep it stable at XMP.

Regards

Thanks Bob, I’ll give that a try. I’m testing ok on Memtest for XMP, but apparently the FSLabs taxes the system to the point where I get CTDs.

Usually a couple of hours into the flight with an ntdll. Tried a full windows reinstall, all OC off (except XMP) and they kept occurring. Read about XMP being the possible culprit and have been testing ok so far. Even better if the voltage trick works so I don’t have to sacrifice performance and maybe even reinstate my CPU OC.

2 hours ago, Speedbird 217 said:

Thanks Bob, I’ll give that a try. I’m testing ok on Memtest for XMP, but apparently the FSLabs taxes the system to the point where I get CTDs.

Usually a couple of hours into the flight with an ntdll. Tried a full windows reinstall, all OC off (except XMP) and they kept occurring. Read about XMP being the possible culprit and have been testing ok so far. Even better if the voltage trick works so I don’t have to sacrifice performance and maybe even reinstate my CPU OC.

You might also want to look into VCCSA and VCCIO voltages. Motherboard and memory might be qualified, but the memory controller on your CPU is falling behind while running high memory speeds or tight timings and will throw 0x5. Give SA and IO a bump and it might solve your issues. Additionally, sometimes BIOS gets memory training wrong when it comes up from cold and dark. If you only do soft shutdowns, then those memory values usually remain until next power cut, when it will retrain and might achieve stable settings. That is especially true if your memory sticks are not in motherboard's QVL.

Edited by Evros

To get back on topic I think we are hitting a wall of diminishing returns with old poorly optimized architecture for modern multi threaded cpu’s and advanced video card features.

Until LM completely re-engineer this sim away from the original FS9 type architecture and update it to modern use and full DX12 compliance I think we are trying to make the proverbial brick fly!

So we can keep buying monster rigs for moderate improvement or...

We can hope MSFS 2020 rewrites the books so to speak!!!

Edited by Kilo60

Chris Camp

4 hours ago, simbol said:

You haven't see the latest of his videos? there were a couple of weeks ago.. he switched to a TITAN video card with lots of VRAM, the results were very impressive..

S.

I have seen them and it is still true what I wrote, even in those vids with a TITAN RTX, he has not everything on max. Most reflections are deactivated and also not all shadow cast and receive options turned on. Special effects on low, water detail on high (not ultra). Dynamic reflections on low. Cloud draw distance on 90mi.

As I said. If you put your settings right, a today's computer is capable of providing enough FPS to have a perfect looking P3D simulator experience. Besides that, the TITAN RTX is a VRAM monster, the pure performance is on par with the 2080Ti, the custom 2080Ti with factory oc are even slightly faster.

Greetings, Chris

Intel i5-13600K, 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 RAM, MSI RTX 4080 Gaming X, Windows 11 Home, MSFS

It amazes me just how much VRAM some of you guys are using in P3D, and it makes me wonder quite how my 2GB GTX 770 manages to run (for example) a PMDG747/ORBx TrueEarth Netherlands/Fly Tampa Amsterdam Schiphol combo without collapsing into a mini black hole! I assume that it must be stuff like dynamic lighting, shadows, clouds and 4K resolution that result in an exponential rise in VRAM usage?

Edited by Christopher Low

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

37 minutes ago, Christopher Low said:

It amazes me just how much VRAM some of you guys are using in P3D, and it makes me wonder quite how my 2GB GTX 770 manages to run (for example) a PMDG747/ORBx TrueEarth Netherlands/Fly Tampa Amsterdam Schiphol combo without collapsing into a mini black hole! I assume that it must be stuff like dynamic lighting, shadows, clouds and 4K resolution that result in an exponential rise in VRAM usage?

When VRAM gets exhausted, your video card will be forced to switch to normal system RAM / Paged RAM.. causing massive FPS slowdowns / stutters.

S.

• Upvote 1

Oh, I get stutters......but not as bad as I would have expected in high detail areas with only 2GB VRAM. In fact, I seem to experience fewer stutters with that PMDG/TrueEarth Netherlands/Fly Tampa Amsterdam combo than I do in other areas that have significantly lower density scenery. Framerates do suffer when on the ground at Amsterdam Schiphol, but major stutters are surprisingly few and far between....

On a side note, this is why I need some nice person to, er.....loan me something like a 6GB GTX 980Ti. For experimental purposes. I would give it back. Honest! :biggrin:

Edited by Christopher Low

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

10 hours ago, KBUR said:

So you've boarded a real Cockpit of a real plane like a corsair for just making this short video  :happy: ?  The poor pilots must have driven nuts .... .

I've read a newsflash on internet right now - and you may believe it or not - but this incident really happened yesterday in the air.  Nobody was'nt hurt; the crew and the passangers got away with no more than a fright.

But with the help of the pilots the investigators and police officers could make a composite sketch of this "sky-paparazzo" - the police are looking for any relevant information !

pirate-3123711_960_720.png

....and as you can see clearly, this guy looks like Salden literally; mistaken identity not possible :biggrin:

Edited by KBUR