Sign in to follow this  
solwell1

Four seasons?

Not all 3rd party products are payware. Back in the days (even today) a lot of aircraft devs would provide external models and you could combine them with sounds from dev B and 2d panels from dev C (all Freeware as well). FSX even has the ability for seperate exterior interior models. So you could combine an exterior from A and interior from B. Thomas Ruth e.g. did an Freeware A300, A310, A330 and A330 with VC for FSX. So I am sure there will be Freeware aircraft for the ones that'll take a basic A330 rather than none at all

Edited by OSJJ1985

3 hours ago, andyjohnston.net said:

The idea of "let 3rd parties provide stuff" is not really the best.  A lot of people never buy any add-ons, they would much rather have items available out of the box.  Provide a 737, a 747, etc.  I would love to see tons of aircraft, even if they weren't at the same level the 3rd parties use.

Hi, I see you're new to flight sim.

🤣

• Upvote 2

43 minutes ago, TechguyMaxC said:

Hi, I see you're new to flight sim.

Only been at it 20+ years.

At flightsim.com, my stuff has a few hundred thousand downloads.

Edited by andyjohnston.net
  • Upvote 1

[ This Content Is Restricted To Avsim Premium Members ]

3 minutes ago, andyjohnston.net said:

Only been at it 20+ years.

At flightsim.com, my stuff has a few hundred thousand downloads.

That's a strange opinion for you to have then...

The open-platform nature of flight sim is the only reason you can even say the second sentence above.  

• Upvote 1

I just hope Seasons isn’t a charged upgrade!

Chris Camp

32 minutes ago, Kilo60 said:

I just hope Seasons isn’t a charged upgrade!

Not including seasons as default would be a very naive oversight. After using X-Plane 10 and 11 for several years, I can safely say flying in a permanent summers sucks especially when it is not summer in real life. Its hard in mid winter with snow outside your window to find joy in flying in a permanent summer in a flight sim. Sort of ruins the whole suspension of disbelied thingy. I belief it will prevent the sim from being the true 'go to' success it otherwise would be. Certain people won't be able to get over that ommission in the long run once the shiny new graphics wear off.

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, steve310002 said:

Not including seasons as default would be a very naive oversight. After using X-Plane 10 and 11 for several years, I can safely say flying in a permanent summers sucks especially when it is not summer in real life. Its hard in mid winter with snow outside your window to find joy in flying in a permanent summer in a flight sim. Sort of ruins the whole suspension of disbelied thingy. I belief it will prevent the sim from being the true 'go to' success it otherwise would be. Certain people won't be able to get over that ommission in the long run once the shiny new graphics wear off.

Agreed!!!

Chris Camp

I agree with Andy's way of looking at things in terms of an over-reliance on third party devs to cover deficiencies in your sim, especially if you're trying to appeal to a mass audience who may not be as comfortable finding 3rd party software to get a basic plane. Where you draw the line, that's hard to say though. With plane selection, I think FSX has a good mix, but maybe that's because it's what I am used to seeing.

In terms of seasons, I personally agree with Steve. I think one of the biggest selling points of the sim is the idea that you can stream real world data to fly around incredibly accurate/realistic scenery. It seems almost antithetic, to me, to tout the realistic visual aspect of that and not reflect seasonal variances. That being said, I am fairly patient when it comes to development, so as long as they say they will be implementing it, even if maybe a little down the road instead of on release, that's perfectly fine to me.

44 minutes ago, Kevin_28 said:

I agree with Andy's way of looking at things in terms of an over-reliance on third party devs to cover deficiencies in your sim, especially if you're trying to appeal to a mass audience who may not be as comfortable finding 3rd party software to get a basic plane. Where you draw the line, that's hard to say though. With plane selection, I think FSX has a good mix, but maybe that's because it's what I am used to seeing.

In terms of seasons, I personally agree with Steve. I think one of the biggest selling points of the sim is the idea that you can stream real world data to fly around incredibly accurate/realistic scenery. It seems almost antithetic, to me, to tout the realistic visual aspect of that and not reflect seasonal variances. That being said, I am fairly patient when it comes to development, so as long as they say they will be implementing it, even if maybe a little down the road instead of on release, that's perfectly fine to me.

I for one can also perfectly live with a "later than release" introduction of seasons. And considering what they already (judging by what we know) achieved this is something that IMHO shouldn't be much of a problem.

My comment on the above confirmation: People are going to whine, but progress sometimes means compromise. Seasons is not a small matter of throwing in generic white/brown textures. It means a huge technological project that's never been done before on such a scale.

We are getting visual fidelity that no one thought was possible just four months ago. One missing feature, which is obviously not an oversight, but simply a reality of the difficulty, is nowhere near enough to hamper my excitement. There's plenty of places to fly where you don't need snow on the ground to keep me busy.

Edited by bonchie
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 2

1 minute ago, bonchie said:

My comment on the above confirmation: People are going to whine, but progress sometimes means compromise. Seasons is not a small matter of throwing in generic white/brown textures. It means a huge technological project that's never been done before on such a scale.

We are getting visual fidelity that no one thought was possible just four months ago. One missing feature, which is obviously not an oversight, but simply a reality of the difficulty, is nowhere near enough to hamper my excitement. There's plenty of places to fly where you don't need snow on the ground to keep me busy.

Get outta here!! That's far too rational a thought process! 😄

I think there needs to be some gentle pressure applied to the development team after launch (in the form of respectful comments, as opposed to nagging or whining) to ensure that they are reminded that seasons are a big deal to a lot of us, and we don't want work on that to fall to the wayside.

We got one photoscenery product with seasons in P3D - thought it was the dawn of a new age, turned out to be a false dawn.
Really hope that it happens sooner rather than later, but I can wait (a bit).

• Like 2

AMD Ryzen 5800X3D; MSI RTX 3080 Ti VENTUS 3X; 32GB Corsair 3200 MHz; ASUS VG35VQ 35" (3440 x 1440)
Fulcrum One yoke; Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack Airbus edition; MFG Crosswind rudder pedals; CPFlight MCP 737; Logitech FIP x3; TrackIR

MSFS; Fenix A320; A2A PA-24; HPG H145; PMDG 737-600; AIG; RealTraffic; PSXTraffic; FSiPanel; REX AccuSeason Adv; FSDT GSX Pro; FS2Crew RAAS Pro; FS-ATC Chatter

8 minutes ago, F737NG said:

Get outta here!! That's far too rational a thought process! 😄

I think there needs to be some gentle pressure applied to the development team after launch (in the form of respectful comments, as opposed to nagging or whining) to ensure that they are reminded that seasons are a big deal to a lot of us, and we don't want work on that to fall to the wayside.

We got one photoscenery product with seasons in P3D - thought it was the dawn of a new age, turned out to be a false dawn.
Really hope that it happens sooner rather than later, but I can wait (a bit).

Only real solution is shader based, as you can't conceivably adjust every ortho tile and the surrounding objects (it'd probably look bad anyway). They may need to wait a few more years for technology to catch up. If this truly is a 10 year project, we will get them eventually.

Edited by bonchie

31 minutes ago, bonchie said:

I still think that once the sheen of the new graphics wears off (and it always does), a lot of users will be left frustrated flying only in one season. Afterall it is not Google flight sim (which of course, actually exists). With all the fancy new weather and lighting features, to not have snow and autumn textures at a minimum will soon leave many users feeling a little graphically bored outside the summer months.

To give you an example, I recently reninstalled FSW just to play in autumn as I was througholy fed up playing X-Plane 11 in only summer no matter how good it can look with add-ons. In fact in winter months, I always lose a lot of interest in X-Plane each year as a result.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, steve310002 said:

I still think that once the sheen of the new graphics wears off (and it always does), a lot of users will be left frustrated flying only in one season. Afterall it is not Google flight sim (which of course, actually exists). With all the fancy new weather and lighting features, to not have snow and autumn textures at a minimum will soon leave many users feeling a little graphically bored outside the summer months.

To give you an example, I recently reninstalled FSW just to play in autumn as I was througholy fed up playing X-Plane 11 in only summer no matter how good it can look with add-ons. In fact in winter months, I always lose a lot of interest in X-Plane each year as a result.

A large part of the world doesn't even really have visible seasonal changes, so I think it depends on where you are used to flying.

I'm not saying you are wrong. I'm just saying I don't get the thinking for myself. Yes, I'd love seasons at launch, but I'm not going to leave what we are seeing from MSFS to go fly over 256x256 generic white textures. To each his own.

Another thing to think about here is that MSFS is more than just the ground when compared to XP11, which does orthos well, but nothing else outside of the flight model. The weather, atmospherics, and flight model look to keep me interested for a very long time.

Edited by bonchie
  • Like 1