Sign in to follow this  
Aviationpronakul

Atc in Microsoft Filght Simulator 2020

Hi, 

I m just completely blown away with the new Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020..Each thing about it is really really mind boggling.. watched pre-alpha footage of it and it's amazing.. 

Just curious what about ATC.. I know there are many online atc services like Vatsim , IVAO etc. But is Microsoft focusing on atc services built in the simulator. Whole world is there.. 40000 airports .. can Microsoft come with completely integrated atc system which is online and works as Vatsim, Ivao... All sim pilots are online in game, like in Vatsim and there is no need for a real atc to come online.. AI atc is proving it's services in Simulator only. Microsoft has its own voice service i.e. Cortana.. can it use it to understand various accent around the globe and provide atc services. I wish Microsoft is working hard on atc. Cz I want it to be a complete flight simulator. 

Seeking forward for the developers to reply.. hand down to the team.. 

Cheers

• Like 2

I really, really hoper they're aiming to have offline ATC ... but better as currently.

And I really, really hope that they provide such a good online (multiplayer) solution for ATC, that we could get rid of IVAO and VATSIM. It isn't that I do not like the both, but I can't see the reason to split the little community into two online systems, therefore have both understaffed.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 8

Guenter Steiner
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Betatester for: A2A, LORBY, FSR-Pillow Tester
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

20 minutes ago, guenseli said:

I really, really hoper they're aiming to have offline ATC ... but better as currently.

And I really, really hope that they provide such a good online (multiplayer) solution for ATC, that we could get rid of IVAO and VATSIM. It isn't that I do not like the both, but I can't see the reason to split the little community into two online systems, therefore have both understaffed.

Interesting, and how would you manage it so it would be somewhat real? Vatsim is backed by a huge community which both counts RW experience (pilots and controllers who might be local to the FIR) and enthusiasts who wish to learn how to control.

I have a hard time seeing how you would implement that and *poof* get rid of the need for such services.

Edited by Sam

I think the ATC in VATSIM may be a little too sophisticated for many in flight sim, especially those just starting out in this little hobby.  I believe with Microsoft also gearing-up for inclusion in XBOX, they would want to attract a larger crowd who never used FS with a PC, but who might "play" it on XBOX.  

So I believe a brand new ATC is required here for all levels of flyers...     

• Like 1

FSX's ATC system was perfectly fine for what it was and still way ahead of its time. They just need to add SIDs/STARs, do RNAV approaches right, and stop the yo-yoing you'd sometimes see (turn left 240, turn right 270, turn left 240, etc.).

But most of the features of it covered enough ground to give you the atmosphere you'd want. 

Other things like regional voices would be easy to implement. 

Edited by bonchie
  • Upvote 3

Hopefully whatever they do first party is built in a way that it's extensible by third parties to offer all the detailed features we may want, but that don't make sense for MS to go really deep into themselves. 

Well since it appears that MS/Asobo are yet to address ATC I'll repost my thoughts from an earlier thread on this subject.

If I'm flying in the UK then I really want to hear an accent from the UK rather an American voice. Ideally a mixture of Welsh, English, Irish or Scottish accents but at a minimum an English British accent. If for whatever reason it's not possible to do this then at least allow a method by which users can achieve this comparatively easily through the SDK.

It would obviously be nice, although unlikely, to hear ATC in other countries speaking accented English as well.

The UK, and I'm sure other countries as well, has a different transition altitude than the US and it would be nice to see that reflected in the sim.

One for the wishlist would be to hear differing accents for the various planes at international airports.

Edited by SamYeager
Correct nationality

Give people power to really test their personality.

1 hour ago, bonchie said:

FSX's ATC system was perfectly fine for what it was and still way ahead of its time.

As a GA guy, I still think it's usable. X-Plane's ATC is still 10 years behind.

I am sure VATSIM will be implemented eventually for the hardcore.

Edited by carbonbasedlifeform
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, carbonbasedlifeform said:

X-Plane's ATC

giphy.gif

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

Agreed on splitting the little community of Vatsim/IVAO into two is a shame , especially as those against a merger would be a very very tiny minority of those who fly online. its grudges going back more than a decade which probably means some of those are no longer simmers or even alive.

• Upvote 2

I would hope that it's simple to use, but with most options.  Options meaning options in flight.  Something along the lines of voxatc with fsx voices and atc commands. Pilot2atc is way too much and a pain for me.

7 minutes ago, polk2 said:

Agreed on splitting the little community of Vatsim/IVAO into two is a shame , especially as those against a merger would be a very very tiny minority of those who fly online. its grudges going back more than a decade which probably means some of those are no longer simmers or even alive.

Hey, I resemble that remark! Lol

Cortana will be the ATC in FS2020. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

i5 7600k @5.1 ghz Liquid cooled, 1080ti Duke 11GB, 32GB DDR4 3400, 8TB m.2 PCIE NVME array intel 660P X 4, Oculus Rift, TM Hotas, TM TPR rudder, 

1 hour ago, irrics said:

Hopefully whatever they do first party is built in a way that it's extensible by third parties to offer all the detailed features we may want, but that don't make sense for MS to go really deep into themselves. 

I agree.

There should be some kind of modular ATC system that can easily be enhanced by additional modules created by third party devs.

So we would have a default basic module that comes with the sim, similar to what we already have (without the back and forth handoffs and strange vectorings).

And then we could add more complex modules for example for VFR, for IFR, a highly sophisticated "professional" module, a module that handles emergencies, a module for FAA rules, a module for ICAO rules, modules that cater for regional particularities, maybe even airport specific modules which represent all the local usages.

So, just like it is now with scenery, the ATC system should offer a working basic ATC which then could be enhanced and customized with ATC-addons - which all work inside the given ATC-system - by the user according to his needs and preferences.

• Like 3

@RALF9636  Well said.  This would also help keep costs down and isolate the extra expenditures to those who truly would value and benefit from high level, complex ATC and not subject more entertainment/basic VFR users to it (if they don't want it)