Sign in to follow this  
Aviationpronakul

Atc in Microsoft Filght Simulator 2020

7 minutes ago, vortex681 said:

But Asobo is French! I'd love to know what makes you think that the US is the largest market. It may be the largest for a single country, but do you really think that the rest of the world has less flight simmers in total than the US? Most countries use feet for altitude but only 3 countries in the entire world use inches of mercury as the pressure reference - United States, Canada and Japan. Time to become truly international.

Yeah, but this is still MS's baby.

There's no reason to not just have both ways of doing it. That seems like it would be one of the simplest things they could do. Just have a conversion happen and the robot voice say the conversion in certain areas. 

But I'll stand by my speculation. I see no chance they don't have ATC that uses inches of mercury, at least in the US. 

Edited by bonchie

1 hour ago, Noodle said:

Says the guy who goes on to write an insulting diatribe.

Your smarmy attitude is noted, and I deeply apologize for the butthurt America has caused you. We're all collectively, very, very sorry for our awesomeness. It must be very awkward for you.

If you want to be taken seriously, dont make dumb arguments and try to get them past unknowing sim pilots. If visibility is a factor on an instrument approach, RVR is controlling and its measured in FEET, not Statute Miles.

I wont bother with the rest of your argument, since all of your point are equally "word almost certainly not allowed".

Meow!

About 3 minutes watching Youtube videos of FSX multiplayer tells me I definitely want an offline, AI-driven ATC, and I also want the ability to fly with AI traffic only, or at least only people I choose to fly with. I'm thoroughly uninterested in dealing with randoms screwing around and griefing while I'm trying to simulate flight.

• Upvote 1

What I would like to see in MSFS ATC is kind of regocnizing runways in use in real time through data from FR24 etc.

Petteri

Petteri Pulkkinen

EFNU, Finland

2 hours ago, eslader said:

About 3 minutes watching Youtube videos of FSX multiplayer tells me I definitely want an offline, AI-driven ATC, and I also want the ability to fly with AI traffic only, or at least only people I choose to fly with. I'm thoroughly uninterested in dealing with randoms screwing around and griefing while I'm trying to simulate flight.

What... you don’t want to fly with the Xbox pre-teen kiddie console crowd playing smash up derby at the airport and saying “pew” “pew”.. on the mic!

I’m shocked...!

• Like 1

Chris Camp

55 minutes ago, Kilo60 said:

What... you don’t want to fly with the Xbox pre-teen kiddie console crowd playing smash up derby at the airport and saying “pew” “pew”.. on the mic!

I’m shocked...!

Ahh yes - that pesky group called “where the business growth is”.

Let’s all remember that one point we were new to FS and some of us were young at the time, and we probably weren’t doing full featured “adult simming” when it started.

Often other aspects are the gateway to more advanced involvement.

Let’s be open to all please.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

I hate MP and I want a real sim. A real sim is not achievable with random kids in MP. So an offline ATC is needed. Idc for vatsim and co. Never have never will 

Lukas Dalton

18 hours ago, irrics said:

No one said anything about not having multiplayer, or not having player-run ATC. We just want the option not to use it so we can avoid the inevitable idiocy that will result.

Let's be open to all, please. 😉

21 hours ago, irrics said:

Ahh yes - that pesky group called “where the business growth is”.

Let’s all remember that one point we were new to FS and some of us were young at the time, and we probably weren’t doing full featured “adult simming” when it started.

Often other aspects are the gateway to more advanced involvement.

To be fair, MS took the time to specifically address this point at the recent media day preview event.  They repeatedly stated this is a simulator, and it is being designed for the hardcore simmer and the PC first and foremost.  XBox will come later.  

On 10/2/2019 at 8:54 PM, Noodle said:

Soooooo many thoughts on this subject. But I'll start with the foundational stuff.

Online ATC is not a solution. One cannot rely upon VATSIM or IVAO or PilotEdge to have controllers available at every position, at every facility, 24 hours a day. Therefore, we need built-in ATC.

Despite the protestations of many, the FSX ATC was very good for it's time, and certainly better than any shoddy 3rd party ATC addon with incorrect phraseology, inability to control AI traffic, and concatenated voices that sounded as natural as ARMA 2.

But FSX ATC also left a lot to be desired. Thankfully, in the intervening 13 years, text-to-speech and voice recognition have improved by leaps and bounds. I would expect the MS Cortana services to form the backbone of any new ATC implementation. It's a no brainers, with very natural sounding voices, regional accents, foreign language capability, and the ability to create new voices using the SDK. This should provide for a very natural sounding experience, with the option to use voice recognition as input.

As for procedures, thankfully ATC by its nature is very procedural and lends itself to the creation of algorithms easily executable by software. Although very complex, once armed with correct data and procedures--which are publically available--a skilled team of developers should be able to replicate the vast majority of ATC functions. For instance, radar vectors are nothing more than a bit of geometry and trigonometry applied to maintain a set of published separation standards. 

This is not to say the job is "easy" or "simple", but it is very logical and procedural.

If I were King for a day, we would have everything from FSX plus reroutes; deviations; diversions; correct RNAV; PAR/ASR; TACAN; properly verbalized flight numbers, fixes, and airports; accurate separation minima; intersecting runways; LAHSO; and even a little bit of optional traffic flow management. Because who doesn't need an EDCT when headed to Chicago?

And about a hundred other things I didn't list.

Microsoft!!!!!

HIRE THIS GUY ASAP!!!!!

Chris Camp

Until now I see 3 options for ATC:

- Real Traffic AI with Live ATC chatter (see and hear the world LIVE) no interaction at all with ATC

- ATC using Microsoft TTS technology (they have plenty of accents available) with fictional traffic (or maybe real?)

- Multiplayer with real ATC simmers (like a native IVAO)

The multiplayer mode should be switched in 2: -hardcore mode for hardcore simmers using real procedures and real controllers

-easy mode for beginners (like a sandbox)

Edited by Noooch

52 minutes ago, Noooch said:

Until now I see 3 options for ATC:

- Real Traffic AI with Live ATC chatter (see and hear the world LIVE) no interaction at all with ATC

- ATC using Microsoft TTS technology (they have plenty of accents available) with fictional traffic (or maybe real?)

- Multiplayer with real ATC simmers (like a native IVAO)

The multiplayer mode should be switched in 2: -hardcore mode for hardcore simmers using real procedures and real controllers

-easy mode for beginners (like a sandbox)

I don't think real traffic is feasible with your second option. Who would be vectoring, separating etc. the traffic - the real world controllers of course, so the MFS ATC would be relegated to be a passive observer. It wouldn't even be able to slot the player into the pattern as the real world controller wouldn't provide the spacing.

To my mind, it has to be fictional traffic, controlled by MFS ATC, so that the player is fully integrated with the AI.

Also, as someone who preferred Radar Contact over the built in FSX ATC I hope it is much better than the latter.

Ian Box

The best ATC we can think of:

I am currently using the Real Traffic plugin in XPlane associated with Live ATC and let me tell you this, the realism you get is beyond anything you can imagine, even if you don't interact with it. You are actually there and you can see the pilots doing what the real controller tells them to, and sometimes you hear them having a conversation with each other.

Imagine having this in MSFS but in a way you can be part of all of this.

I know the simulator can't modify the real traffic but it can modify the ATC. He can detect all the real live traffic and insert you in it. The only problem would be that you will have 2 controller voices (1 real and 1 from the sim). The sim could easily adjust volume to match the real voices.

For example, the sim can simply mute the real live ATC voice when he speaks to you.

Microsoft and Asobo are focused on realism, what could be more realistic than that?

I know this is a challenge but this is MSFS we are talking about, all they have accomplished until know was a challenge.

Edited by Noooch
  • Like 2

Well could say they have done the hard bit, but they want to support the third party`s that helped keep the franchise alive.  

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg

29 minutes ago, Noooch said:

The best ATC we can think of:

I am currently using the Real Traffic plugin in XPlane associated with Live ATC and let me tell you this, the realism you get is beyond anything you can imagine, even if you don't interact with it. You are actually there and you can see the pilots doing what the real controller tells them to, and sometimes you hear them having a conversation with each other.

We had this back in FS9 and FSX with Cielosim.
Took LiveATC feeds and put them into the sim through your aircraft's radio panel.

Only downside is that LiveATC has patchy coverage in the U.S. (some centers are partially covered, others have no availability), there's no coverage in lots of other countries and some prohibit the broadcasting of ATC into the public domain, e.g. the U.K.

I will often play a LiveATC feed in the background to give me an 'authentic' aural environment when I'm simming. It rarely matches what I see out of my sim window, but I much prefer it to the robotic-sounding offline ATC options.

If something like you describe can be implemented, I'd be very interested. Don't know how popular it would be without a live aircraft API data feed from something like Flightradar24 though.

Edited by F737NG

AMD Ryzen 5800X3D; MSI RTX 3080 Ti VENTUS 3X; 32GB Corsair 3200 MHz; ASUS VG35VQ 35" (3440 x 1440)
Fulcrum One yoke; Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack Airbus edition; MFG Crosswind rudder pedals; CPFlight MCP 737; Logitech FIP x3; TrackIR

MSFS; Fenix A320; A2A PA-24; HPG H145; PMDG 737-600; AIG; RealTraffic; PSXTraffic; FSiPanel; REX AccuSeason Adv; FSDT GSX Pro; FS2Crew RAAS Pro; FS-ATC Chatter