Sign in to follow this  
nickhod

Preview Of Non-Photogrammetry City Center?

53 minutes ago, Shack95 said:

I see a problem here as well. This would only be possible if Bing had a sort of long-term roadmap showing the devs exactly when they planned to cover what area, which I doubt they have – at least they told me that they didn’t have such a schedule.

What I'd like to understand is what kind of commercial applications MS has in in mind for the modeling of citiy centers. I doubt that fs20 was the only targeted market. Urban planning ? 

Also, is it the Bing team which does the job or the MS Mixed Reality team which works with  Unity (Asobo importing them in their own rendering engin) ?

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

21 minutes ago, domkle said:

Also, is it the Bing team which does the job or the MS Mixed Reality team which works with  Unity (Asobo importing them in their own rendering engin) ?

One of the FS devs said in the interview that as Bing get new satellite imagery or new 3d data via their pipeline it “just shows up” in their sim (around 15:00). Sounds like an automatic process to me, but I'm no expert.

What their commercial interests are with respect to photogrammetry is a bit of a mystery to me as well. There might be answers on their blog (https://blogs.bing.com/maps/)

• Like 1

i9-11900K, RTX 4090, 32 GB ram, Honeycomb Alpha and Bravo, TCA Airbus sidestick and quadrant, Reverb G2

4 minutes ago, Shack95 said:

One of the FS devs said in the interview that as Bing get new satellite imagery or new 3d data via their pipeline it “just shows up” in their sim (around 15:00). Sounds like an automatic process to me, but I'm no expert.

I am not surprised.  What I meant who does  the schedule to transform some imagery into 3d city set ?  

Edited by domkle

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

59 minutes ago, domkle said:
1 hour ago, Shack95 said:

I am not surprised.  What I meant who does  the schedule to transform some imagery into 3d city set ?

I asked on the Bing map developer forum if they have a schedule for upcoming photogrammetric cities and they told me that they don‘t have such a thing (at least not official), as it depends on their suppliers, i.e. the ones who take the imagery. They also said that such imagery was coming in „all the time“, which I interpret as a way of saying „we‘re working on it.“ From that I take it that it‘s Bing maps who‘s in charge of the 3d cities. That‘s all I know. 

Edited by Shack95

i9-11900K, RTX 4090, 32 GB ram, Honeycomb Alpha and Bravo, TCA Airbus sidestick and quadrant, Reverb G2

2 hours ago, Shack95 said:

I asked on the Bing map developer forum if they have a schedule for upcoming photogrammetric cities and they told me that they don‘t have such a thing (at least not official), as it depends on their suppliers, i.e. the ones who take the imagery. They also said that such imagery was coming in „all the time“, which I interpret as a way of saying „we‘re working on it.“ From that I take it that it‘s Bing maps who‘s in charge of the 3d cities. That‘s all I know. 

Thank you for asking!

There are 4,500 cities in the world with > 150,000 population. Bing won't have photogrammetry for even 20% of those in the next 10 years, given that it's taken them 10 years to make 385 of them. So I expect that it will be a long time before we have global coverage, if at all.

21 minutes ago, fta2017 said:

There are 4,500 cities in the world with > 150,000 population. Bing won't have photogrammetry for even 20% of those in the next 10 years, given that it's taken them 10 years to make 385 of them. So I expect that it will be a long time before we have global coverage, if at all.

You'e assuming a linear progression.
It will more likely be an exponential curve as process improvements and machine learning take effect, eventually churning out cities at a much faster rate.

It does all depend on how profitable the photogrammetry venture is for the Microsoft Bing team rather than the MSFS team.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

AMD Ryzen 5800X3D; MSI RTX 3080 Ti VENTUS 3X; 32GB Corsair 3200 MHz; ASUS VG35VQ 35" (3440 x 1440)
Fulcrum One yoke; Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack Airbus edition; MFG Crosswind rudder pedals; CPFlight MCP 737; Logitech FIP x3; TrackIR

MSFS; Fenix A320; A2A PA-24; HPG H145; PMDG 737-600; AIG; RealTraffic; PSXTraffic; FSiPanel; REX AccuSeason Adv; FSDT GSX Pro; FS2Crew RAAS Pro; FS-ATC Chatter

6 hours ago, fta2017 said:

There are 4,500 cities in the world with > 150,000 population.

We can catch all 4500 in under 100 days if we visit each City for about 30min. !!! 😂 ...nonstop of course

Edited by Nedo68

7 minutes ago, Superdelphinus said:

So in this evenings video, was Paris an example of a non-photogrammetry city? If so I think there is vanishingly little to worry about. 

Yes it was. But it probably got more attention than less known cities. They aren't going to model landmarks for less known cities like they did with Paris. The Eiffel Tower and Arc de Triomphe were probably modeled by hand for example. Nonetheless we probably still have very little to worry about 🙂  

Would love to see some shots/videos of SE Asian cities, like Manila (RPLL).

Matthew S

Is there a list anywhere of the 400 cities they have photogrammetry for?

I expect the majority are in the US with the others capital cities?

I'm guessing most people want their home city/area well represented like me. (that's my house! syndrome)

Several days ago, I sat down with google earth and its Bing equivalent, just flying low over various areas, and one thing I noticed was LOTS of lod popping as structures changed from amorphous blobs to something resembling buildings.

I wondered if Microsoft would be able to decrease the amount of that happening, and it seems that they have, at least in relation to something like google earth Vr, but if you look closely in their videos, you can still see significant popping, and I don't think they will be able to make that go away.

• Upvote 1

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

4 hours ago, HiFlyer said:

Several days ago, I sat down with google earth and its Bing equivalent, just flying low over various areas, and one thing I noticed was LOTS of lod popping as structures changed from amorphous blobs to something resembling buildings.

I wondered if Microsoft would be able to decrease the amount of that happening, and it seems that they have, at least in relation to something like google earth Vr, but if you look closely in their videos, you can still see significant popping, and I don't think they will be able to make that go away.

Well, there will always be side-effects to anything I guess... I am sure they are looking into it if that's the case. But for me that's a very small price to pay to get the world at this kind of detail and accuracy. BTW. this kind of popping is just for photogrammetry regions. If for any reason it's too much to handle there is still offline mode with autogen buildings. 

• Upvote 1

Besides, viewing GE or Bing data in each service's viewer is no indication of what it will look/perform like in the MSFS engine.

• Like 1