Sign in to follow this  
Coneman

Curse you Microsoft!

You've ruined my P3D! Here I was, all content with the sim for who knows how long, ready for years of updates, enjoying my clinical hording of addons and you came along with your new sim out of the blue. I'll be honest here, I'm an eye candy guy. I've been in the visual arts for decades, and always with an eye toward the sky and aviation. My main focus in the sim is always chasing the perfect visuals with the right cloud, lighting and sky textures. I want it to look as real as possible. So here you are now with visuals that absolutely blow out of the water anything I've been trying to achieve. Of course I'm not really complaining. I just didn't think that anything like this was possible for maybe the next 10 years or so.

And I really don't understand how you can extrapolate the buildings in the vertical like NYC. That is just mind blowing. I did a little reading on photogrammetry and my eyes glazed over. To me it's just magic. And so it will be when I get to fly this thing. (disclaimer: this is not a campaign for beta tester, I'm not even on Win10 yet, so stop rolling the eyes).

But I will still keep my P3D for using aircraft and sceneries that may not be compatible with FS2020, or whatever you want to call it. But please MS don't do any drastic changes to the look of the new sim. The bloom, lighting, Rayleigh effect, water reflections, etc, etc, are gorgeous.

• Like 4

Avsim member since 2002. 1000+ posts on old account.

It may be gorgeous, but it's definitely not Magic. Many comments on this new sim are tending towards the worshipful at this point. I hope everybody realizes and is prepared for the fact that like anything it's going to have its flaws.

• Like 6
  • Upvote 5

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

Of course it will have flaws. Have you ever seen a new flightsim that didn't have it? Worship is such a big word, but we have never seen anything like this before, so why shouldn't people be impressed with it.

• Like 5

Jorn Lundtoft

I don't always stop and look at airplanes.........Oh wait, Yes I do.

Intel I7-13700F, 32GB Fury DDR5 - 6000, Kingston 1TB NVMe PCIe 4.0 SSD, Asus Geforce RTX 4070 TI 12GB, Kingston 2TB M2 NVMe SSD, Corsair 750W PCU, Windows 11

10 minutes ago, jlund said:

Of course it will have flaws. Have you ever seen a new flightsim that didn't have it?

No! No! No!  Work on it started over 5 years ago and over 200 people are working on it.  Soon, Microsoft will bring on some experts/non-experts in the community to be Alpha/Beta testers.  Microsoft did this with Windows and Office too.  There is no way there will be flaws requiring hot fixes with all that testing and expertise.... (tongue in cheek).

• Like 4
  • Upvote 2

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

I first was intrigued then got interested by the FS20 narrative. Now I look forward to it. With caution as if we know much more, we still know very little hard facts. So agitate fluffy things while jumping up and down  in cadence. Maybe not.  

Edited by domkle
  • Like 1

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

1 hour ago, Jim Young said:

No! No! No!  Work on it started over 5 years ago and over 200 people are working on it.  Soon, Microsoft will bring on some experts/non-experts in the community to be Alpha/Beta testers.  Microsoft did this with Windows and Office too.  There is no way there will be flaws requiring hot fixes with all that testing and expertise.... (tongue in cheek).

LOL! The last time I remember seeing a group of guys act more silly was when a friend of mine got his hands on one of his dad's playboy mags and shared it with us. It would have taken a blow torch to get the grins off our face for weeks. Life was different in the 60's. Like those airbrushed girls, this new "hot chick" will not be cheap and "she" will seem much different after that first all nighter!! LOL

• Like 3

Sam

Prepar3D V5.3/12700K@5.1/EVGA 3080 TI/1000W PSU/Windows 10/40" 4K Samsung@3840x2160/ASP3D/ASCA/ORBX/
ChasePlane/General Aviation/Honeycomb Alpha+Bravo/MFG Rudder Pedals/

The thing is, Azure seems to me to be becoming almost a magic phrase; a HAL 9000 capable of fixing breakfast while it recreates your house right down to you in your living room with your trusty pet at your side.

Quite a switch from years of putative experts explaining how it was technically impossible to have X amount of "gaming" detail because (place name of sim here) was the highest possible achievement in practical home aviation with current hardware, etc, etc...

Or how even something as relatively modest as Aerofly would surely (place technical explanation here) slow to a crawl if you added (place names of things here, followed by sage years of experience)

Fast forward a few short months.... and suddenly all that is old news, and the speculation train is racing for the stratosphere toward a big hype bubble strangely familiar to anyone who remembers the buildup to Microsoft FLIGHT, or DTG sim, and the following crash and backlash.

One might think a small word of caution timely, but on second thought, hey forum: you do you! ✈️

• Like 3
  • Upvote 2

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

Looking at these thread about the forthcoming MSFS 2020 is amusing. I know that not every simmer is a grown man but it seems to me there is a great deal of childlike Christmas anticipation going on here. In a way it's not funny. If we don't learn from our experience we are in trouble indeed. And it seems to me that the Flight Sim Community has plenty of experience of setting itself up for disappointment. I say we should temper our expectations. It won't make a hill of beans difference to the end product but it will make a difference to our perception of it. If MSFS 2020 doesn't meet this communities expectations whether those expectations where raised by Microsoft or not, what ensues will be ugly. And to the objective eye not reasonable. In other words the sim might take a bashing that it does not deserve. That probably will effect future development. Every successful company in their marketing over promises and by that I mean they under deliver. It's a consideration in successful marketing to what extent to do that. They probably use differential calculus! Next time you have a Big Mac compare your Big Mac to the one on the screen over the counter.

Rein in your expectation fellow simmers. The surprise on Christmas morning will be all the sweeter.😁

Edited by Avidean
  • Like 5
  • Upvote 1

The company that is still stumbling to get Windows 10 to work correctly, is going to make the perfect sim with no bugs... LOL. That's hysterical. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 4

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

11 minutes ago, Bobsk8 said:

The company that is still stumbling to get Windows 10 to work correctly, is going to make the perfect sim with no bugs... LOL. That's hysterical. 

Totally different development team and type of software though. And I don't think anyone is expecting a completely bug-free experience, that's impossible.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Jim Young said:

You're being sarcastic Jim,

Cheers,

Pierre

• Upvote 1

Pierre

41 minutes ago, Bobsk8 said:

but...but....but....they have pretty pictures!!

• Like 1

Sam

Prepar3D V5.3/12700K@5.1/EVGA 3080 TI/1000W PSU/Windows 10/40" 4K Samsung@3840x2160/ASP3D/ASCA/ORBX/
ChasePlane/General Aviation/Honeycomb Alpha+Bravo/MFG Rudder Pedals/

43 minutes ago, Bobsk8 said:

No need to add anything else 🙂

Ivan Majetic

MAXIMUS XII HERO, i9 10900k, NZXT KRAKEN Z73, GIGABYTE RTX 3080 v2 OC, G.SKILL TridentZ DDR4 32 Gb, WD HDD 2TB, SAMSUNG 980PRO, SAMSUNG 970EVO Plus 2x, ASUS PG348Q

12 minutes ago, ppo said:

You're being sarcastic Jim,

Cheers,

Pierre

That's correct and why I added "tongue in cheek" at the end.  I hope you didn't think I was serious! 

• Like 1

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10