Sign in to follow this  
troyboy66

Not good for Boeing

On 10/19/2019 at 3:45 AM, domkle said:

Un bel avion est un avion qui vole bien (a beautiful aircraft flies beautifully)  Marcel Dassault

’nuf said.

I believe the correct translation here is :

"A beautiful aircraft is an aircraft that flies well"

Anyhow, I don't know if the F35 flies well.  There are conflicting accounts where some say it is the most capable and effective fighter jet ever made, and others that say it doesn't fly well and is full of bugs.  What I do know is that many countries have ordered it and thus are willing to spend billions of dollars to buy it, so it must be pretty good.  Otherwise they would simply order more F18s, F16s, Dassualt Rafales, or Eurofighter Typhoons for a lot less money.

Dave

Simulator: P3Dv5.4

System Specs: Intel i7 13700K CPU, MSI Mag Z790 Tomahawk Motherboard, 32GB DDR5 6000MHz RAM, Nvidia GeForce RTX 4070 Video Card, 3x 1TB Samsung 980 Pro M.2 2280 SSDs, Windows 11 Home OS

1 hour ago, dave2013 said:

Dave, I was referring to a picture of the Boeing  X32 which is an ugly duckling, not the F-35.

Edited by domkle
  • Upvote 1

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

On 10/19/2019 at 5:52 AM, Matthew Kane said:

Boeing stopped being innovative when they came up with this piece of junk:

300px-USAF_X32B_250.jpg

What a...

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, dave2013 said:

Anyhow, I don't know if the F35 flies well. 

The picture is a Boeing X-32, which is not only ugly looking, it lacked any real innovation. Its VTOL was terrible as it was far too similar to the Harrier's design (which was also terrible). They also lost to the X-35 therefore a costly endeavor on Boeing's part.

We can leave the F-35 for a different thread as this thread is about Boeing

Edited by Matthew Kane

Matthew Kane

Just curious as to why the Harrier's VTOL was terrible? I would have thought the Harrier's VTOL was quite elegant (and far better looking than that X-32 IMHO): It (the Harrier) only used vectoring nozzles and thus did not need a huge lift fan in addition to the nozzle vectoring, a lift fan which is then just a waste of space, unnecessary complexity and dead weight in forward flight...

But we digress.

• Upvote 3

Mark Robinson

Part-time Ferroequinologist

Author of FLIGHT: A near-future short story (ebook available on amazon)

I made the baby cry - A2A Simulations L-049 Constellation

Sky Simulations MD-11 V2.2 Pilot. The best "lite" MD-11 money can buy (well, it's not freeware!)

3 hours ago, HighBypass said:

Just curious as to why the Harrier's VTOL was terrible? I would have thought the Harrier's VTOL was quite elegant (and far better looking than that X-32 IMHO): It (the Harrier) only used vectoring nozzles and thus did not need a huge lift fan in addition to the nozzle vectoring, a lift fan which is then just a waste of space, unnecessary complexity and dead weight in forward flight...

But we digress.

The first generation was like balancing on a knifes edge and was deadly, took a lot of skill to handle it. The second generation they were able to improve it considerably but it still took a lot of skill. Decades later it may look elegant from the outside but still very tricky, mad respect for the guys who fly them. One of the failures of the X-32 was using this same concept, Boeing made something that was already extremely tricky even worse. 

For me the issue with the Joint Strike Fighter program was the three in one platform, it is like a Jack Of All Trades, mediocre at everything. They should have just expanded on the F-22 for NATO Partners, then introduced a new Harrier for the marines and got Boeing to do a new F-18 for the navy, all of this too late now. 

Edited by Matthew Kane
  • Upvote 1

Matthew Kane

6 minutes ago, Matthew Kane said:

The first generation was like balancing on a knifes edge and was deadly, took a lot of skill to handle it. The second generation they were able to improve it considerably but it still took a lot of skill. Decades later it may look elegant from the outside but still very tricky, mad respect for the guys who fly them.

The failure of the X-32 was using this same concept, Boeing made something that was already extremely tricky even worse. 

And yet despite the 'terrible VTOL' and 'knife-edge balancing', the puffer ducts helped to give fine control to the Harrier so that it was able to conduct S/VTOL day and night sorties against 'superior' Super Etendard and Mirage III during the 10-week Falklands War. The French-built jets numbered 3x the amount of Harriers and Sea-Harriers (42).

Of the 10 losses, 5 were caused by enemy action, 3 were poor weather-related, 1 was mechanical and 1 was due to landing on a metal airstrip, in exchange for 35 fighter and 34 other light attack aeroplane kills.

Yes, it was a challenge to fly and had a high accident rate, but for a 1960's aeroplane I think it proved it's capability and usefulness rather well in extremely challenging circumstances.

6 hours ago, KrisJ said:

What a...

Agreed! The X-32B looks like a terrible version of the X-24A or the X-13 Vertijet, but in the latter two's defence, they didn't have 32 and 46 years respectively of aviation knowledge to draw upon.

Back to the 737-Max:

European regulators expect to clear Boeing’s grounded 737 MAX to return to service in January at the earliest, following flight trials by European test pilots scheduled for mid-December, Europe’s top aviation safety official told Reuters.

Source: https://www.reuters.com/article/us-ethiopia-airplane-easa-exclusive/exclusive-europe-regulator-to-clear-boeing-737-max-in-jan-at-earliest-idUSKBN1X021S

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

AMD Ryzen 5800X3D; MSI RTX 3080 Ti VENTUS 3X; 32GB Corsair 3200 MHz; ASUS VG35VQ 35" (3440 x 1440)
Fulcrum One yoke; Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack Airbus edition; MFG Crosswind rudder pedals; CPFlight MCP 737; Logitech FIP x3; TrackIR

MSFS; Fenix A320; A2A PA-24; HPG H145; PMDG 737-600; AIG; RealTraffic; PSXTraffic; FSiPanel; REX AccuSeason Adv; FSDT GSX Pro; FS2Crew RAAS Pro; FS-ATC Chatter

1 hour ago, F737NG said:

Yes, it was a challenge to fly and had a high accident rate, but for a 1960's aeroplane I think it proved it's capability and usefulness rather well in extremely challenging circumstances.

Agreed 100%, The Harrier was a fantastic aircraft for its time, very innovative. Boeing was building on a 1960's concept with the X-32 using a modern F119 Engine, they couldn't get that to work. Just like today Boeing is building on another 1960's concept with the 737-MAX. Perhaps it is time for Boeing to get its head out of patching things from the 1960's, it doesn't seem to be working out for them anymore

Only one exception, I do like the Boeing CST-100 Starliner, even though it is very similar to the Apollo Capsule, I think that NASA should have continued with that concept as the Soyuz Rocket did, over time a proven workhorse 

Edited by Matthew Kane
  • Upvote 1

Matthew Kane

A good investment opportunity once the dust settles.

• Upvote 1

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

On 10/21/2019 at 12:07 PM, domkle said:

Dave, I was referring to a picture of the Boeing  X32 which is an ugly duckling, not the F-35.

Oh, gosh, how embarrassing. 😳

I should have taken a closer look at the picture.  My bad.

Dave

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Simulator: P3Dv5.4

System Specs: Intel i7 13700K CPU, MSI Mag Z790 Tomahawk Motherboard, 32GB DDR5 6000MHz RAM, Nvidia GeForce RTX 4070 Video Card, 3x 1TB Samsung 980 Pro M.2 2280 SSDs, Windows 11 Home OS

On 10/21/2019 at 7:59 PM, F737NG said:

And yet despite the 'terrible VTOL' and 'knife-edge balancing', the puffer ducts helped to give fine control to the Harrier so that it was able to conduct S/VTOL day and night sorties against 'superior' Super Etendard and Mirage III during the 10-week Falklands War. The French-built jets numbered 3x the amount of Harriers and Sea-Harriers (42).

We mustn't forget, of course, that the Argentinians were operating at the edge of their range and had little time to engage, whereas the British had a much more local "airfield".

Not equipping Port Stanley to operate larger fighter aircraft was one of many grievous strategic errors on the part of the Argentinians.

Luke Kolin

I make simFDR, the most advanced flight data recorder for FSX, Prepar3D and X-Plane.

On 10/22/2019 at 3:30 PM, Jim Young said:

A good investment opportunity once the dust settles.

Some already have, even before the dust has settled.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-48682123

• Upvote 1

AMD Ryzen 5800X3D; MSI RTX 3080 Ti VENTUS 3X; 32GB Corsair 3200 MHz; ASUS VG35VQ 35" (3440 x 1440)
Fulcrum One yoke; Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack Airbus edition; MFG Crosswind rudder pedals; CPFlight MCP 737; Logitech FIP x3; TrackIR

MSFS; Fenix A320; A2A PA-24; HPG H145; PMDG 737-600; AIG; RealTraffic; PSXTraffic; FSiPanel; REX AccuSeason Adv; FSDT GSX Pro; FS2Crew RAAS Pro; FS-ATC Chatter

35 minutes ago, F737NG said:

Some already have, even before the dust has settled.

Interesting link provided.  Having the BA owner IAG to submit to buying 200 737MAX's is something that should quiet some of the fears others are having.  Markets just closed with BA at 1.07% so it went down again after rising 2.8% after the announcement.  Think it will continue to fall until the 737MAX starts flying again by all of the airlines.

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10