Jump to content

ChaoticBeauty

November 7th - Development/Insider Update

Recommended Posts

13 hours ago, Mucker said:

I wonder if those waves are just the Ortho or if we will have waves breaking on the shorelines, can't tell with a still unfortunately Looks stunning though.

 

DA62.jpg

Seems to be ortho.

1ODzByL.jpg

 

Edited by Shack95

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, ArchStanton said:

DA62_2.jpg

Thats Bozel in the French Alps

 

I do not know if the complex weather engine they implemented in the simulator, created this saturated green effect that we see after rain usually? 

Same for the green on the Courchevel mountains in another screenshot...

Edited by Claviateur

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Mengy said:

This sim is going to be a bush pilots wet dream.  

A "midsummer" dream though <cough, cough>. To be sure let's wait to see an aircraft landing somewhere on a dirt strip in Idaho, Alaska or PNG.


Dominique

Simming since 1981 - Prepar3D v3 on a 4770 @ 4.4 GHz and a 1080 @ 2560*1440 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - My YouTube Channel

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Claviateur said:

I do not know if the complex weather engine they have created this saturated green effect that we see after rain usually? 

I guess it's their satellite imagery. In Earth View in many areas you have this green tint.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Shack95 said:

I guess it's their satellite imagery. In Earth View in many areas you have this green tint.

Most probably, you are right.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, daveinca2000 said:

Nobbys-Lighthouse-Newcastle_credit-Desti

 

 

Pretty accurate reproduction but I like the bluish hazy look of this real life photo. Most probably it will be rendered depending on time of the year + weather

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

2 minutes ago, Shack95 said:

I guess it's their satellite imagery. In Earth View in many areas you have this green tint.

 My guess would be the light rendering engine. Correcting and harmonizing sat imagery tints should be done by the AI. 


Dominique

Simming since 1981 - Prepar3D v3 on a 4770 @ 4.4 GHz and a 1080 @ 2560*1440 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - My YouTube Channel

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, domkle said:

My guess would be the light rendering engine. Correcting and harmonizing sat imagery tints should be done by the AI. 

I hope you‘re right (it wouldn’t be a catastrophe it wasn‘t though).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Shack95 said:

I hope you‘re right (it wouldn’t be a catastrophe it wasn‘t though).

Before the rant start...he is joking guys😉

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, fta2017 said:

Some amazing shots for sure, but this one looks no better than TrueEarth or Simheaven's stuff using world2xplane. Look at the random bland building textures and odd shapes, missing bridges, a weird tall tower etc.. I'd say this is a reality check which shows what most of the world is going to look like apart from the 300-odd photogrammetry cities. Also don't expect custom 3D models for important buildings worldwide either, based on this.

At least they are honest enough to show this. We now can set our expectations accordingly.

 

As someone who uses that stuff, I'm going to vehemently disagree. 

Simheaven uses OSM, which is inherently incomplete almost everywhere outside of some European areas (and even then, you'll always be missing some buildings). They don't color match or direct form buildings either, so if something is wrong in OSM, it's wrong in the sim. And the quality of most World2XP models is much lower than we've seen from MSFS. Many of them are just blocks with really odd variations in color. Install World2XP for some US areas and go see how ridiculous it can look. 

What MSFS is doing is procedurally reading each ortho, creating building models dynamically that directly fit the buildings footprint, color matching building sides-rooftops-heights, and then the models are procedurally covered in other details (ac units on roofs, windows, lights, facades, cars in driveways, etc.)

As WarpD's picture shows, they managed to get it very close to real life and that's all autogen, not relying on databases that will always be missing things. 

I think Orbx TE is a better comparison if you want to talk quality, but it's also stuck in an engine that simply doesn't have the atmospheric capabilities to make things look nearly as good. I've never found TE to be very visually appealing for some reason and I think it has less to do with Orbx's work and more to do with the generally bad lighting.

And of course the biggest factor = this is worldwide, not select regions that cover a tiny fraction of the earth. 

Edited by bonchie
  • Like 3
  • Upvote 12

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Shack95 said:

I hope you‘re right (it wouldn’t be a catastrophe it wasn‘t though).

I agree that the image is still nice and that it is almost impossible in any case to set a  perfect color gamut pleasing everyone as most of our monitors are not calibrated. I suppose that they have not done any fine tuning either.


Dominique

Simming since 1981 - Prepar3D v3 on a 4770 @ 4.4 GHz and a 1080 @ 2560*1440 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - My YouTube Channel

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, bonchie said:

As someone who uses that stuff, I'm going to vehemently disagree. 

Simheaven uses OSM, which is inherently incomplete almost everywhere outside of some European areas (and even then, you'll always be missing some buildings). They don't color match or direct form buildings either, so if something is wrong in OSM, it's wrong in the sim. And the quality of most World2XP models is much lower than we've seen from MSFS. Many of them are just blocks with really odd variations in color. Install World2XP for some US areas and go see how ridiculous it can look. 

What MSFS is doing is procedurally reading each ortho, creating building models dynamically that directly fit the buildings footprint, color matching building sides-rooftops-heights, and then the models are procedurally covered in other details (ac units on roofs, windows, lights, facades, cars in driveways, etc.)

As WarpD's picture shows, they managed to get it very close to real life and that's all autogen, not relying on databases that will always be missing things. 

I think Orbx TE is a better comparison if you want to talk quality, but it's also stuck in an engine that simply doesn't have the atmospheric capabilities to make things look nearly as good. I've never found TE to be very visually appealing for some reason and I think it has less to do with Orbx's work and more to do with the generally bad lighting.

And of course the biggest factor = this is worldwide, not select regions that cover a tiny fraction of the earth. 

You can put lipstick on a pig, but it's still a pig. Amazing how people's reality is being distorted here.

 

Screenshot-2019-11-08-at-3-28-25-pm.jpg

Please tell if that is any better than world2xplane and where all the color matched roof textures and airconditioning ducts are? Some of the buildings don't even match the ortho footprint properly, indicating OSM is indeed in use.

You can attribute all sort of black magic to Azure AI but please don't sprinkle what you see in fairy dust. What I can see above is not that impressive and my original point is that this is likely what 99% of the world is going to look like. 

It's still amazing, but let's not get too giddy about it 🙂 

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, fta2017 said:

tell if that is any better than world2xplane and where all the color matched roof textures and airconditioning ducts are? Some of the buildings don't even match the ortho footprint properly, indicating OSM is indeed in use.

How can you be so certain, can you tell us which mode they were using in that shot? Offline, online or the hybrid do you have that info maybe? 🙄

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

2 minutes ago, adino said:

How can you be so certain, can you tell us which mode they were using in that shot? Offline, online or the hybrid do you have that info maybe? 🙄

 

Have you ever seen studios posting screen shot in ultra low setting ? seriously ... 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...