Sign in to follow this  
ca_metal

PMDG NG3 for the MSFS2020 will cost $139.99

People need to put things into perspective. 140$ is not that much in the software world.

The software I use at work is 5000$ for a single user license. The software gets updated every year, but the license you buy if for the version available at the time of the purchase. You can stay on this version indefinitely, but that comes to an end when windows or macos gets updated. The company making the software keeps it compatible with the last 3 revisions of macos or windows, so in reality you perpetual license is only good for 5 years max.

You want to use the latest version? It will be another 5000$ please and thank you.

This is not an isolated case. If you want the full adobe suite, it will cost you around 140$ every single year.

You can argue that its just a game, or just an addon etc but the fact that people buy it at this price point. It shows that the value is there. Personally I'd rather pay 140$ for a pmdg of fslabs aircraft than the 50 or 30$ needed to get you aerosoft or carenado quality.

42 minutes ago, ckyliu said:

You're talking about physical hardware though, the software is always supported with major updates for at least 2 years and often more. Pixel 1 came with Android 7.1 in 2016, it received Android 10 a few weeks ago, completely free of charge. So based on the phone analogy, a P3Dv4 purchase should have a free upgrade to MFS.

Yeah okay, fair enough. 

• Upvote 1

Former MSFS Alpha Tester, current member of the MSFS Stream Team.

20 minutes ago, 238932 said:

People need to put things into perspective. 140$ is not that much in the software world.

The software I use at work is 5000$ for a single user license. The software gets updated every year, but the license you buy if for the version available at the time of the purchase. You can stay on this version indefinitely, but that comes to an end when windows or macos gets updated. The company making the software keeps it compatible with the last 3 revisions of macos or windows, so in reality you perpetual license is only good for 5 years max.

You want to use the latest version? It will be another 5000$ please and thank you.

This is not an isolated case. If you want the full adobe suite, it will cost you around 140$ every single year.

You can argue that its just a game, or just an addon etc but the fact that people buy it at this price point. It shows that the value is there. Personally I'd rather pay 140$ for a pmdg of fslabs aircraft than the 50 or 30$ needed to get you aerosoft or carenado quality.

I think you are missing the point.

• Upvote 1

Windows 11 | Asus Z690-P D4 | i7 12700KF 5.2GHz | 32GB G.Skill (XMP II) | EVGA 3060Ti FTW Ultra | TrackIr v5 | Honeycomb Alfa + Bravo

Comparing commercial software such as Adobe to a PMDG gaming software, isn't quite apples to apples. IMO.

Edited by Adrian123
  • Upvote 10

1 minute ago, Adrian123 said:

Comparing commercial software such as Adobe to a PMDG gaming software, isn't quite apples to apples. IMO.

Perhaps the gamers aren't PMDGs target market.

50 minutes ago, Noooch said:

So funny, that was exactly what I thought about people trying to justify this insane price.

It's all in perspective. I make what it takes to buy this plane before my 1st coffee break every day, so in my world (commercial HW & SW) the price seems normal to me. Developing software is an expensive proposition as well as a gamble since all of the money is spent up front.

Just for giggles, check out the cost of office space and housing in PNDG's zip code. Ouch.

33 minutes ago, CarlosF said:

P3D and PMDG are both money pits. Im glad I decided to stick to one sim XP, Im a few thousand dollars richer.

I'm pretty sure that if you look up "hobby" in Websters, the word money pit would be in there. Try my other hobby, boating. You regularly get soaked for $1000. One 'boat dollar' is a $100 bill. Golf... Aye caramba... That'll eat a wallet fast, too.

i9-10850K, ASUS TUF GAMING Z490-PLUS (WI-FI), 32GB G.SKILL DDR4-3603 / PC4-28800, EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti BLACK EDITION 11GB running 3440x1440 

7 hours ago, domkle said:

Speaking of OEM, what about the A2A Cub which has been « pushed back », some say until May ? Nice Cub in the Asobo’s teasers don’t you think ?

That's interesting - hadn't heard about the delay but it'd make all kinds of sense as an MSFS add-on.

As a rule, I'd expect the bigger developer/publishers to be first out of the gate - Aerosoft, for example.  PMDG we know about, and I'm guessing A2A might get there with a single product, others to follow. And I'd guess that boutiques like Majestic, FSLabs and Leonardo will need more time - their development cycles are typically long as it is.  But "guess" is the operative word here... 😎

6 minutes ago, MDFlier said:

I'm pretty sure that if you look up "hobby" in Websters, the word money pit would be in there

lol, Im sure is there, fair enough.

Windows 11 | Asus Z690-P D4 | i7 12700KF 5.2GHz | 32GB G.Skill (XMP II) | EVGA 3060Ti FTW Ultra | TrackIr v5 | Honeycomb Alfa + Bravo

6 minutes ago, Alan_A said:

That's interesting - hadn't heard about the delay but it'd make all kinds of sense as an MSFS add-on.

As a rule, I'd expect the bigger developer/publishers to be first out of the gate - Aerosoft, for example.  PMDG we know about, and I'm guessing A2A might get there with a single product, others to follow. And I'd guess that boutiques like Majestic, FSLabs and Leonardo will need more time - their development cycles are typically long as it is.  But "guess" is the operative word here... 😎

I invite you to have a look at what  Scott Gentile says about FS20 in his  posts today in the "What was the date of the last A2A release?" thread.

Not. A.Thing. :wink:

Hilarious.

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

28 minutes ago, domkle said:

Hilarious.

That was quite a spectacular amount of chemical smoke.

I suspect that this...

However there is an area we expect to see a big improvement that I don't want to talk about publicly as our competitors read these forums too. And eventually these improvements would likely make it into any airplane that would benefit from it, but again on a plane by plane basis.

...refers to a new new thing... maybe possibly a flight model with a thousand reference points, something along those lines...

Or not.

Another fun space to watch, though...

• Like 1

7 hours ago, domkle said:

Speaking of OEM, what about the A2A Cub which has been « pushed back », some say until May ? Nice Cub in the Asobo’s teasers don’t you think ?

The XCub is entirely different from the J3 Cub. The only similarities are the name and the fact that it's shaped like the J3. Otherwise, different cockpit, different materials/construction, and different performance/handling characteristics.

Brandon Filer

1 minute ago, HughesMDflyer4 said:

The XCub is entirely different from the J3 Cub. The only similarities are the name and the fact that it's shaped like the J3. Otherwise, different cockpit, different materials/construction, and different performance/handling characteristics.

It was kinda tongue-in-cheek, Brandon :wink: !

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

5 minutes ago, Rob_Ainscough said:

I do disagree with NGXu ground handling characteristics that Robert discussed ...

He seems to be open to a fix.  Details here.

1 minute ago, domkle said:

It was kinda tongue-in-cheek, Brandon :wink: !

Been seeing lots of people confusing the two ever since MSFS was announced, so figured I'd throw that out there just in case. 😎

• Upvote 1

Brandon Filer

3 minutes ago, HughesMDflyer4 said:

Been seeing lots of people confusing the two ever since MSFS was announced, so figured I'd throw that out there just in case. 😎

and you did right ...

Dominique