Sign in to follow this  
MarkW

The first MSFS add-on ever.

I still have Scenery Disk 7.I was really impressed with it. Flew all up and down the east coast.RhettAMD 3700+, eVGA 7800GT 256, ASUS A8N-E, PC Power 510 SLI, 2 GB Corsair XMS 3-3-3-8, etc. etc.

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

Maybe the first MSFS addon plane was an Alitalia DC-9 made by LAGO. It was for FS5.1. Anyone remember that plane?Now, the FIRST addon period, SubLogic days, hmm. Probably one of those Scenery Disks as was said. First one I had was Scenery Disk 7, Star San Francisco, and Scenery Disk Japan. Later I got Europe 2 for MSFS.RhettAMD 3700+, eVGA 7800GT 256, ASUS A8N-E, PC Power 510 SLI, 2 GB Corsair XMS 3-3-3-8, etc. etc.

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

Guest 2002cbr600f4i

>I had a copy of that Sublogic Scenery for my C-64...>>Didn't the C-64 version also include a mode where you could>fly over to an enemys land and shoot him down... You would fly>bi-planes and declare war.>>>>Bryan>Yup it sure did!!!! It was a square shaped region with mountains on each side, a river down the middle demarking the border and an airfield on each side of the river. I FONDLY remember playing that!!My first computer was a C64 and my parents bought FS 2 for me with the computer as I was heavily interested in becoming a fighter pilot at the time (I was 11, #### genetics giving me myopia! Air Force told me the only thing I'd ever fly was a desk...) I remember learning how to do navigation with the VOR + NAV + ADF and having the old folded maps and such. God, I actually MISS that version. While the graphics were HORRIBLE by today's standards, and we only had 1 plane to fly and it got like 3 FPS, I liked the printed maps with all the radio freqs and such on them, the lack of ATC telling you how to get there. It was a lot more "imagination and work it out yourself" (albeit not as realistic as todays' FS9/FSX.)I distinctly remember begging my parents for the $$$ to buy the scenery disks 1-6.During college I upgraded to an Amiga and flew various sims on it, and then went the PC route my senior year. I picked up Flight Sim 98, 2000 and now 2004. But life has a funny way of getting in the way. I haven't spent anywhere near as much time with these newer versions combined as I did with the old C64 FS2. I'm hoping to change that with FSX. I'm starting to build up a low/mid grade cockpit arrangement and plan to learn everythign I can during FSX's tenure on my hard drive.--2002cbr600f4i

Some interesting insights to the beginings of addons here.I started with with FS5.1 and I seem to remember having the MS New York and Caribbean sceneries, but I can't for the life of me lay my hands on the disks now. I do remember thinking how good they looked at the time :DTo tinker with some of my own ideas and models I had BAO flightshop and aircraft animator. I also had Papa Tango's B737.Some of my favorite addons over the yearsFS98 - Ultimate Airliners - mainly flying the B747 into Hong Kong :DFS2000 - Dreamfleet 737FS2002 - UK2000 sceneries, UK VFR sceneryFS2004 - PMDG 747, ASv6FSX - Looking forward to some great new possibilities :)

Alaister Kay

It might not be the first FS addon ever, but it's definitely one of the earliest.And, of course, it's very dear to me, because I've developed back in 1993, and this started my activity as an FS developer.It was the complete Italian Scenery for FS4, released during 1993, it was developed single-handed by yours truly, and sold by LAGO (the "old" LAGO, before the company was sold to another Italian publisher).Here's the box:http://www.virtualisoftware.com/oldstuff/italyfs4_photo1.jpgHere's what was inside:http://www.virtualisoftware.com/oldstuff/italyfs4_photo2.jpgNotice the fully printed Jeppesen manual, with all the 130 italian airfields featured. The Alitalia DC9 die-cast metal model was a limited time offer, for the first 500 customers.Note, the product came on 4 floppies BUT, if you look carefully, 3 of them were 1.44, the 4th was a 720K!! (to save on production costs, ROTFL...)Now the back of the box with screenshots:http://www.virtualisoftware.com/oldstuff/italyfs4_photo3.jpgBehold the lovely 16-colors untextured graphics! System requirements were as follow:MS-Dos 2.0 or later - 640K (K not MB! ) of memory, a 3.5" disk drive, Hard Disk with 8MB (MB, not GB! ) free, 80286 or faster processor. FS4.0b + MS Aicraft & Scenery Designer - SubLogic Western European Tour scenery disk *strongly* recommended.The suggested system was instead a 80386DX or better, 1MB of RAM, SuperVGA with 512K of RAM (K not MB!! ), Mallard Sound, Graphic and Aircraft Upgrade, Mallard Aircraft & Adventure Factory.Those were times!cheers,Umberto Colapicchioni - VIRTUALIhttp://www.virtualisoftware.com

can I see a bigger picture of those screenshots? man thats awesome! Thanks Umberto!

Yes... Sublogic East and West. Came in nice blue binders with all the airports listed.Really expensive... I think I paid GBP60 each for those.Another thing... what was that airport expansion again by sublogic...?? It allowed you to add airports with runway lighting systems etc etc.... that was exciting for me... drove miles..all the way to Watford for that....Paul

Oh yes! I forgot I went that route as well for a bit, that was a fantastic 777. Its a shame Fly! never progressed beyond a couple of releases :(

Alaister Kay

In 1989 I bought an ATC add-on called "Winging It." I forget which version of FS I had at the time...probably 3 or 4. The ATC was provided by a cassette tape that you played at specified moments in the provided flight plans. I still have the complete package as it was shipped. Maybe I should auction it off on Ebay for big bucks. :+ Sidney Schwartz KPDX