Sign in to follow this  
MarkW

The first MSFS add-on ever.

A curiosity tonight popped out of my head: does anybody know what was the first add-on ever for the MSFS series? And the first non-Microsoft-labeled add-on (if different from the former)? And for what version? And how much did it cost?Marco

This may not count, but I remember buying scenery for Sublogic II on the c-64 back in 83 or 84. It was the western United States and I can't remember the other one. I'm not sure whether it was Sublogic or another company that released the scenery. I have not idea how much it cost, though 19.99 comes to mind, and it was on a 5 1/4 floppy. ahh the memories.Ian.

I believe Ian is right.Sorta off topic, but the very first FS addon I ever bought was the Dreamfleet 737 many years ago.It felt very strange buying an addon for FS at the time, but it was well worth the purchase.Chrs,Bryan

First was Europe I, a Europe scenery add-on for FS95. I believe it was produced by the same design studio who produced FS at the time.The second was VIP Classic Wings for FS98, a collection of older aircraft like the DC-3, DeHavelland DHC1, Corvair's, Lockheed's, and Boeing 757 (I bought it mainly for the DC-3). Fairly controversial at the time. It was produced by Kenneth Kerr, one of the first persons who ever released payware aircraft during a time when freeware was how most folks felt the hobby should be maintained.After Kenneth released that, it seemed many started going in the payware direction.I have no clue how much I paid for them, but they were probably in the $10-20 range.

That was made for FS98, (the textures give it away). Aything FS5 and before did not provide much 'shaded texturing' at all within the textures. Even hills and mountains back then were simply colored polygons.

Microsoft or Official Publisher Addons:Flight Simulator II Scenery Disks... Vol's 1-7, along with Paris (i think). I rememeber riding my bike to the local computer store to pick up my local disc (either 5 or 7) :) As Ian mentions, they were official from the sim publisher, but addons none the less! I think I still have my scenery disk maps... the folded paper ones. Non Official Addons (Retail):Perhaps the Mallard (publisher) series of scenery addons for FS4 - Hawaii, Europe, etc. Those seemed to be the first third party developer scenery to hit the shelves. I can't speak for addon planes, though. (*guesses)

Guest Simpit

I remember a DC-9 from someone being among the first airliner add-ons- it seems like that was very early - I got it from compuserve...Derek

Somewhere in my boxes I've got all those Sublogic Scenery discs as well as their Star sceneries that had enhanced lights. Probably would find that Chuck Yeager flight simulator with them along with Jet.

I remember "Jet" for the Commodore 64...I got about 2 frames per second and the enemy planes were just wire shaped... In its day it was pretty good though.Bryan

I bought exactly the same: IFR scenery for Flight Simulator, expanding the number of airports in the US. Only strips, no buildings etc.It came in a nice binder and cost a fortune that days, I think I paid about $100 in The Netherlands.

I'm sure the Scenery disks were the first addon, but I'm trying to remember the first non-scenery addon. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but was it the Aircraft & Sound Upgrade for FS4, which included a 747, a basic glass panel, and waveform sounds (as opposed to the PC speaker tick-tick-tick)? I know that FS4 was when freeware addons kicked in after the Aircraft & Adventure Factory and Aircraft & Scenery Designer were released. This was also when third party utilities, such as SEE and various scenery management programs started coming out.Ah... those were the good old days. I remember fondly my very first aircraft download for FS4. It was a Delta L-1011 that looked wonderful for its time.

Guest Navy_Chief

I had a copy of that Sublogic Scenery for my C-64...Didn't the C-64 version also include a mode where you could fly over to an enemys land and shoot him down... You would fly bi-planes and declare war.Bryan

I still have Scenery Disk 7.I was really impressed with it. Flew all up and down the east coast.RhettAMD 3700+, eVGA 7800GT 256, ASUS A8N-E, PC Power 510 SLI, 2 GB Corsair XMS 3-3-3-8, etc. etc.

Maybe the first MSFS addon plane was an Alitalia DC-9 made by LAGO. It was for FS5.1. Anyone remember that plane?Now, the FIRST addon period, SubLogic days, hmm. Probably one of those Scenery Disks as was said. First one I had was Scenery Disk 7, Star San Francisco, and Scenery Disk Japan. Later I got Europe 2 for MSFS.RhettAMD 3700+, eVGA 7800GT 256, ASUS A8N-E, PC Power 510 SLI, 2 GB Corsair XMS 3-3-3-8, etc. etc.

Guest 2002cbr600f4i

>I had a copy of that Sublogic Scenery for my C-64...>>Didn't the C-64 version also include a mode where you could>fly over to an enemys land and shoot him down... You would fly>bi-planes and declare war.>>>>Bryan>Yup it sure did!!!! It was a square shaped region with mountains on each side, a river down the middle demarking the border and an airfield on each side of the river. I FONDLY remember playing that!!My first computer was a C64 and my parents bought FS 2 for me with the computer as I was heavily interested in becoming a fighter pilot at the time (I was 11, #### genetics giving me myopia! Air Force told me the only thing I'd ever fly was a desk...) I remember learning how to do navigation with the VOR + NAV + ADF and having the old folded maps and such. God, I actually MISS that version. While the graphics were HORRIBLE by today's standards, and we only had 1 plane to fly and it got like 3 FPS, I liked the printed maps with all the radio freqs and such on them, the lack of ATC telling you how to get there. It was a lot more "imagination and work it out yourself" (albeit not as realistic as todays' FS9/FSX.)I distinctly remember begging my parents for the $$$ to buy the scenery disks 1-6.During college I upgraded to an Amiga and flew various sims on it, and then went the PC route my senior year. I picked up Flight Sim 98, 2000 and now 2004. But life has a funny way of getting in the way. I haven't spent anywhere near as much time with these newer versions combined as I did with the old C64 FS2. I'm hoping to change that with FSX. I'm starting to build up a low/mid grade cockpit arrangement and plan to learn everythign I can during FSX's tenure on my hard drive.--2002cbr600f4i

Some interesting insights to the beginings of addons here.I started with with FS5.1 and I seem to remember having the MS New York and Caribbean sceneries, but I can't for the life of me lay my hands on the disks now. I do remember thinking how good they looked at the time :DTo tinker with some of my own ideas and models I had BAO flightshop and aircraft animator. I also had Papa Tango's B737.Some of my favorite addons over the yearsFS98 - Ultimate Airliners - mainly flying the B747 into Hong Kong :DFS2000 - Dreamfleet 737FS2002 - UK2000 sceneries, UK VFR sceneryFS2004 - PMDG 747, ASv6FSX - Looking forward to some great new possibilities :)

It might not be the first FS addon ever, but it's definitely one of the earliest.And, of course, it's very dear to me, because I've developed back in 1993, and this started my activity as an FS developer.It was the complete Italian Scenery for FS4, released during 1993, it was developed single-handed by yours truly, and sold by LAGO (the "old" LAGO, before the company was sold to another Italian publisher).Here's the box:http://www.virtualisoftware.com/oldstuff/italyfs4_photo1.jpgHere's what was inside:http://www.virtualisoftware.com/oldstuff/italyfs4_photo2.jpgNotice the fully printed Jeppesen manual, with all the 130 italian airfields featured. The Alitalia DC9 die-cast metal model was a limited time offer, for the first 500 customers.Note, the product came on 4 floppies BUT, if you look carefully, 3 of them were 1.44, the 4th was a 720K!! (to save on production costs, ROTFL...)Now the back of the box with screenshots:http://www.virtualisoftware.com/oldstuff/italyfs4_photo3.jpgBehold the lovely 16-colors untextured graphics! System requirements were as follow:MS-Dos 2.0 or later - 640K (K not MB! ) of memory, a 3.5" disk drive, Hard Disk with 8MB (MB, not GB! ) free, 80286 or faster processor. FS4.0b + MS Aicraft & Scenery Designer - SubLogic Western European Tour scenery disk *strongly* recommended.The suggested system was instead a 80386DX or better, 1MB of RAM, SuperVGA with 512K of RAM (K not MB!! ), Mallard Sound, Graphic and Aircraft Upgrade, Mallard Aircraft & Adventure Factory.Those were times!cheers,Umberto Colapicchioni - VIRTUALIhttp://www.virtualisoftware.com

can I see a bigger picture of those screenshots? man thats awesome! Thanks Umberto!

Yes... Sublogic East and West. Came in nice blue binders with all the airports listed.Really expensive... I think I paid GBP60 each for those.Another thing... what was that airport expansion again by sublogic...?? It allowed you to add airports with runway lighting systems etc etc.... that was exciting for me... drove miles..all the way to Watford for that....Paul

Oh yes! I forgot I went that route as well for a bit, that was a fantastic 777. Its a shame Fly! never progressed beyond a couple of releases :(

In 1989 I bought an ATC add-on called "Winging It." I forget which version of FS I had at the time...probably 3 or 4. The ATC was provided by a cassette tape that you played at specified moments in the provided flight plans. I still have the complete package as it was shipped. Maybe I should auction it off on Ebay for big bucks. :+ Sidney Schwartz KPDX