Sign in to follow this  
Slick9

Proposed new PC specs, any suggestions/ideas?

Hi all,

It's that time for me, upgrade time.  My current specs and my planned upgrade specs are below.  I’m looking for any advice on things I’m missing or things that would make more sense.  I’m planning on using the cooler, power,  and case from my last build on this new one.  Thanks for any ideas/advice, appreciate the help on this.  This is being built for use with P3D.

CURRENT BUILD:

Windows 7 Professional Edition (64-Bit)

Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6800K CPU @ 3.40GHz

8GB RAM

NVIDIA GeForce 1070

Hydro Series™ H100 Extreme Performance Liquid CPU Cooler

950 watt Power Supply (can’t remember the manufacturer)

PROPOSED BUILD:

Windows 10 Professional Edition (64-Bit) ---  $50.00

·         Gigabyte Aorus Z390 Ultra, LGA 1151 ---  $180

·         Intel 9th Gen Core i9 9900K (5.0GHz Turbo) Eight Core  -- $500

·         64GB Corsair DDR4 SDRAM 3200MHz RGB --  $380

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 Super 8GB GDDR6 PCI Express 3.0 Graphics Card -- $500

Hydro Series H100 Extreme Performance Liquid CPU Cooler

950 Watt Power Supply (can't remember the manufacturer)

Richard

Looks like a nice build. 

The only thing I'd change is the amount of RAM.  64GB is way, way more than most people would need, unless of course you're using applications that require loading huge files into memory.  The water cooling IMO is unnecessary as well unless you intend to do some really extreme overclocking.

I'm getting the same video card as you.  I'm upgrading from a GTX 970 so should see a big performance increase.

I'm curious, where did you find Windows 10 Pro for $50?

Dave

Hi Dave,

Thnx for the response.  This will be a simming only rig.  I go the Windows 10 pricing from a google search, i got a bunch of results and just picked one.  Once i'm ready for the build, I'll start looking for actual vendor pricing.  What would you suggest on the RAM? 16 or 32?

Richard

10 minutes ago, Slick9 said:

Hi Dave,

Thnx for the response.  This will be a simming only rig.  I go the Windows 10 pricing from a google search, i got a bunch of results and just picked one.  Once i'm ready for the build, I'll start looking for actual vendor pricing.  What would you suggest on the RAM? 16 or 32?

Richard

I went with 32GB.  I've been using 16GB for years with no problems, but want to have 32GB for "future-proofing".

I don't plan to overclock as the i7 9700K can automatically reach 4.9GHz which is good enough for me, so I went with a Noctua 120mm cpu cooler with fan.

Dave

Cut the RAM to 32gb and put the cash towards a 2080 instead

P3D v4.5

i7-9700k @ 5ghz, 16gb DDR 3200mhz, MSI Z390-PRO A, Zotac GTX1080Ti Mini, Antec Mercury 360, MSI Vampric 010 Case, 480gb SSD Boot Drive, 1TB NVMe P3D Drive, 1Tb Crucial SSD Storage Drive, Saitek Yoke, Pedals, Radio Panel, Switch Panel, 2 x FiPs

Toshiba 43" 4K TV