Sign in to follow this  
rich135

FSX was designed for Vista not XP...

Guest Water Mango

Who's willing to dispute this now that's it's officially in the FSX readme file??? I don't know why Aces was less than truthful about this during development...

Guest davewins

>Who's willing to dispute this now that's it's officially in>the FSX readme file??? I don't know why Aces was less than>truthful about this during development...I said this before and people on here want to argue that it's just marketing strategy or some hogwash. It's clear as day that this was designed for future hardware/SOFTWARE and flight simulator does happen to be the staple game for windows so it makes sense that the last game by windows before vista is released is designed for vista/dx10. I think we need to be patient and really wait this out and see what vista/dx10 has to offer. I think we are going to be amazed well at least I hope.

Guest Water Mango

Problem is Dave me and many others got attacked on these forums when we brought this fact up. I remember reading along time ago before Vista got pushed back that FSX was a Vista title. Now I see it's all silent now this fact has been confirmed. I tried my best to go back and find the article I read concerning FSX. What troubles me is 'TDragger' was one of the ones in here stating FSX was designed for XP/DX9. Are these the kind of half truths we can expect to deal with from our new improved relationship with Microsoft/Aces???

I recall the whole vista/FSX thing too, but I'm not sure if there was any statement about design. I do remember the words optimized if that makes a difference.As far as half-truths, who knows, maybe miscommunication between the project manager and the software developers on how to categorize it. There have been several instances where Aces members would contradict anothers statements, but with a large project that can happen I assume.Not sure about the whole attack thing but now I understand where you are coming from. There seems to be many attacks nowadays in the forums.Ian.

Yes, I'm quite sure the marketing department knows far more than the folks who wrote the bloody code... :-roll

Guest Water Mango

Bill you were one of the main ones on the FSX/XP/DX9 bandwagon... You were actually a beta tester as well and currently work with Eaglesoft. You knew what was going on... The excuse the marketing department didn't know what the coders were doing is bogus when you had the sim in hand and could see what was going on... You don't need to be in with the programmers to tell that FSX was going to be a dog on most computers (especially the so called target market). I think you guys at ES better get off the FSX caracal and keep developing for FS9 for the foreseeable future. If you try to put anything out for FSX that uses just 1fps more than the default, your effort is toast. I think we all got screwed on this one as hardware developers are not upgrading processors, their more so doubling them up in Dual Core format. FSX doesn't really support that. Vista may not be the

Me, for one. If you were an MS marketing guru and you had a product that didn't perform very well with WinXP/DX9 what would you say? Never mind that the development team says it was designed with WinXP and DX9 (not surprising since Vista and DX10 didn't exist when the sim was developed). Either this is pure CYA marketing spin or the development team has been telling less than the truth. I believe it's the former.Doug

>What troubles me is 'TDragger' was one>of the ones in here stating FSX was designed for XP/DX9. Are>these the kind of half truths we can expect to deal with from>our new improved relationship with Microsoft/Aces??? Maybe Tdragger of Aces has been a little more honest than some may be prepared to accept in their never ending quest and anxiety for a fluid sim with decent frames and all sliders to the right. This article reads:-VISTA gaming will be 10 to 15 per cent slower than XP .MICROSOFT is telling its selected gaming industry chaps that gaming under Vista will be ten to fifteen per cent slower than XP....More:-http://www.theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=34915Personally I am going to sit on the fence with this release for about 12 months and see what happens. Besides, by that time my 3rd party addons may be patched for FSX and I will simply jump onto the forums and do a little research on how to tweak without feeling a little disappointed for the first 12 months of the game life. It is time for this fella to break the upgrade cycle.

The fact for me is I get 14FPS at CYYZ on medium settings with the default aircraft.

Gauges need to be registered for a feeWhere on earth did you get this idea?.DLL files, yes, gauges properly built to SDK standards - no.But anyone who has paid the slightest attention to computer security over the past few years knew it was coming.As far as hype, yes FSX was designed for Vista - and for Vista SP2 - and for the OS to follow Vista. Like all good computer programs it was designed to take advantage of technology which is expected in the near future.But it was also designed to RUN WELL ON WINDOWS XP SP2It was built on XP and tested on XP.You seem to imply that it was not designed to work on XP - which is pure fiction.

Guest Babubhai

I saw a video of a game called Crysis (One of the best looking FPS games yet). That was running quite choppy, that is because according to the developers it is still running on DirectX 9, DirectX 10 will improve performance alot.And yes I know DirectX 10 is not available yet to develop on. Same case for that game it is being developed using DirectX 9, but like I said according to its developers, Direct X 10 will be the optimal platform for it.

Guest RGH

>Gauges need to be registered for a fee>>Where on earth did you get this idea?>>.DLL files, yes, gauges properly built to SDK standards - no.>>But anyone who has paid the slightest attention to computer>security over the past few years knew it was coming.>>As far as hype, yes FSX was designed for Vista - and for Vista>SP2 - and for the OS to follow Vista. Like all good computer>programs it was designed to take advantage of technology which>is expected in the near future.>>But it was also designed to RUN WELL ON WINDOWS XP SP2>>It was built on XP and tested on XP.>>You seem to imply that it was not designed to work on XP ->which is pure fiction.What you have just said is what I have been reading for the last six months or more, That FSX will run well on Vista,but it will also run well with XP.Regards.Rex.

Guest Babubhai

Yeh, this is a misconception too...FSX has been designed to run on Windows XP and DirectX 9. Thats why it is released for it.But DirectX 10 will be the better platform for it run. With the right hardware as well ofcourse.

You know, I don't know how many who posted in this thread were reading this very forum when FS9 came out, but it's deja vu. The same discussions regarding performance and autogen that we see today almost mirror exactly the same discussions from three years ago. The only difference is this time around Aces was interacting with the forum during the development phase.My hypothesis is that marketings original intent was to wrap FSX around Vista, but when Vista was delayed they obviously had to adjust that campaign. Tdragger did indeed say that FSX was designed on DX9 platforms, but I do recall that an update would be released for DX10. I'm not sure why there is so much concern over this subject. If an update is to be released which I would assume includes the code for interfacing with DX10, then what is the problem?FSX is most likely optimized for DX9 in it's current state, but I would guess that they had some forethought whilst writing the code as Aces seem like a fairly intelligent group of people, and I will give them the benefit of a doubt that they have allowed for the inclusion of DX10 within the structure of the existing code or will have a large update to take advantage of DX10. All we can do is wait and discuss until Vista and DX10 come online.Ian.

Gentleman: I have read every post regarding FSX on this forum, and others as well."...MICROSOFT is telling its selected gaming industry chaps that gaming under Vista will be ten to fifteen per cent slower than XP...."When the developer of the OS states this, it does not bode well for any of us. This bothers me more than any problems FSX now has. Our community of developers and consumers have proven that there are few hurdles that cannot be overcome regarding Flight Sim. This, though, is a different animal. I fear that we are facing a Dark Age, and it may be quite some time before we all see the happy days such as we have had the last few years.

For all those complaining about FSX - Please stay with FS9. Please do not buy FSX. Or, wait until Vista and the FSX release for Vista when it is available.But, PLEASE don't say that Microsoft, ACES, etc. have "screwed us" (as another poster below claims).You're happy with FS9 - GREAT - stay with it.For others, they'll be happy with FSX - GREAT - buy it.But, and it's been said before, don't think you'll be able to "sway the masses" and have them not purchase FSX.JerryG

<<>OK, I will bite. I always come back to this great article written by Adam Szofran.http://www.fsinsider.com/articles/Global_T..._Technology.htmIt explains in detail how the rendering engine works and what the sim spends most of its time doing. Correct me if I am wrong, the word Vista or DX10 does not appear once. I had the opportunity to ask Adam at the AVSIM conference about the expectations of Vista, DX10 and the FSX patch. In a nutshell, they are not sure yet. Like the rest of us, they don't have any hardware to explore it. So I for one value the opinions of the developer despite what the readme file says.You could also take the FAQ literally I suppose:Q: Will

Guest Water Mango

"You seem to imply that it was not designed to work on XP - which is pure fiction."Then why are so many people having performance problems with the most top of the line machines???"But it was also designed to RUN WELL ON WINDOWS XP SP2"Go tell this crap to the many people returning to FS9 after purchasing FSX...

Guest robmuzz

>>> I'll happily dispute it with no knowledge of the facts. >Isn't that what we do here?>>:)>>CraigLOL!!! So true :D

Guest FALC

Well all this definately well puts a lock on it for me...I certainly am not wasting my money on Vista .. Moreuseless bells and whistles, with stupid icons. And of coursewhat will be the usual plethura of security leaks andbugs. Which will result naturally in patch after patch after patch.I'll wait for 'Kookamonga' or what ever they're going to call it when it comes out in 2010, see what that has to offer.As for FSX. Honestly, Im not overly impressed. Admittedly forthe GA pilot there are some improvements, if your willing totake thr FR whack or spend a kajillion dollars to upgradeto a Crae super computer. But for others, naaah. What do Icare if its got birds and more trees when Im up at FL360.Besides Im not willing to give up what Ive got, excellentaircraft, Wx, ATC, scenery for six month or more for havingthe so called latest and greatest.Just my opinion of course. I know there'll be thousands runningout and buying it as soon as it hits the shelves. And thats finenothing wrong with it if thats your 'thing'. But for me...Not a chance, sorry MS your getting no more dollars from mefor a long time.

>Bill you were one of the main ones on the FSX/XP/DX9>bandwagon... You were actually a beta tester as well and>currently work with Eaglesoft. You knew what was going on...>The excuse the marketing department didn't know what the>coders were doing is bogus when you had the sim in hand and>could see what was going on...I am refering only to your thread title: FSX was designed for Vista not XP.." which is pure, unadulterated bologna.>Gauges need to be registered for a fee... Say what? While it is true that in order to avoid an annoying popup warning the simmer that a .gau or module file doesn't have a "Trusted Certificate" the gauge/module developer needs to obtain a "Trusted Certificate and set of signature key files..."For freeware gauge/module developers, there is a very active movement by a dedicated group of devs (Nick Whitcomb and Arno Geretson among 'em) to set up s FREE "Certificate Authority" to allow freeware folks to obtain a FREE "Trusted Certificate."In no case though is THERE A COST TO THE SIMMER!!! Sorry for "shouting," but you seem h*ll-bent on a crusade to spread misinformation. What your motives might be I won't begin to imagine.>Bill it will be very interesting to see what path>your constituents and piers decide to take in the next few>months concerning what platform they decide to develop for... You can go to the Eaglesoft website and read for yourself the policy statement. Eaglesoft will continue to create and release FS9 products right along with the FSX versions of the same products for at least the next twelve months... possibly eighteen months!While some folks are busily finding unique and creative ways to work with FSX to mitigate some of the autogen framerate losses, while we all wait for hardware to catch up......a few others are simply "wailing and nashing their teeth" and playing at Chicken Little. Perhaps a bit more time reading the positive contributions and less time writing laments might prove to be a productive exercise... ;)

Guest Water Mango

"Eaglesoft will continue to create and release FS9 products right along with the FSX versions of the same products for at least the next twelve months... possibly eighteen months!"I'll disregard all the rest of that mess you wrote and concentrate on this one most useful and important sentence. Seeing how crappy FSX is performing on the best hardware we can throw at it these days, I hope most developers are wise enough to follow this same logic (may I remind you this is a first in FS history)... Usually when a new version of FS comes out developers don't continue developing for the old version twelve to eighteen months out from the new sim's release date. We may have seen this with FS98 after FS2000 came out but surely not from FS2000 to FS2k4 or FS2k2 to FS2k4... That's really saying something no matter how much you want to deny it. The support is usually there but not any new products. Eaglesoft didn't keep developing for FS2k2 when FS2k4 came out. They quickly moved forward and updated their current product line. All upgraded products promptly worked in the new FS2k4 environment. Try to get that CitationX to work in FSX on a 3gig machine with FSX looking comparable to FS2k4. Ain't gonna to happen. The autogen issue is not the only problem with FSX performance.All that being said we still love you Bill (I

>While some folks are busily finding unique and creative ways>to work with FSX to mitigate some of the autogen>framerate losses, while we all wait for hardware to catch>up...>>...a few others are simply "wailing and nashing their teeth">and playing at Chicken Little. Perhaps a bit more time>reading the positive contributions and less time writing>laments might prove to be a productive exercise... ;)AMEN Bill!!!Regards, MichaelKDFW

Asus A8N32-SLI Deluxe nForce4 SLI-x16 / AMD