Sign in to follow this  
cepact

worried about ram requirements

2 minutes ago, Superdelphinus said:

You can quote me on that. 

Superdelphinus said "There is not a chance this is going to need 32gb ram to play."

30 minutes ago, cepact said:

I'm moving a lot in real life and for that reason I have a laptop, and no ram is not cheap when you have to buy a new laptop just to add some ram...

I know you know this, but I have to say it -- using a laptop for sim is not ideal.  There are always compromises made as to heat/clock speed, not to mention upgradability. 

On the other hand, laptops are great for other things.  I use mine as an EFB and moving map.  It also connects to my car, so I can make little changes to things, like the ability to roll up or down all windows by a press of a button.

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

5 minutes ago, Deleted said:

Still cheaper than processors or graphics cards. I have no problem with that.

You all wanted better graphics, and now you're whining about computer performance

I can not understand. I am happy, even if it costs something

Nobody is whining about better visuals requiring better hardware, the original poster was concerned regarding accessibility, that's all. This is something that optimisation and availability of graphics settings should take care of. Even though 8GB RAM is not ideal nowadays, it is possible to run modern games by turning down the settings, or modern software with tempered expectations when it comes to performance.

Your previous statement was that RAM is cheap, and I just mentioned that it's going to become expensive again rather soon. This might not be a problem to you, but it could be a problem for anyone looking to upgrade their RAM or build a new system later this year. This price increase will affect SSDs too, which is going to make matters even more difficult.

15 minutes ago, ChaoticBeauty said:

Of course there is whining here. Even someone who actually uses a laptop, which made me smile. 

You can all be sure that you can turn down the performance later in the settings. But apparently this is not yet wanted in Alpha, so this thread is absolutely pointless

Incidentally, I think it is a rumor that prices will rise. Computer hardware has been getting cheaper for decades. You stop spreading such nonsense

4 minutes ago, Deleted said:

Of course there is whining here. Even someone who actually uses a laptop, which made me smile. 

You can all be sure that you can turn down the performance later in the settings. But apparently this is not yet wanted in Alpha, so this thread is absolutely pointless

Incidentally, I think it is a rumor that prices will rise. Computer hardware has been getting cheaper for decades. You stop spreading such nonsense

34 minutes ago, Deleted said:

You all wanted better graphics, and now you're whining about computer performance

Wanting a game to be accessible to low-end or older systems is different than whining about a game's performance, while wanting great graphics at the same time. This thread was created to deal with the former, not the latter.

Even if it's just a rumour, it is true that Samsung did experience a power cut that destroyed a huge amount of NAND flash stock (which they will once again use as an excuse to bring another case of price fixing, as they have done so countless times in the past), and that by the end of the year we will have tons of console units boasting 16GB RAM and big SSD storage. It is only to be expected for prices to go up as demand hugely increases.

And no, computer hardware hasn't been getting cheaper with the increases one would expect with a new generation. A 32GB RAM kit could cost $400 or more two years ago, while costing about the same as today before that. And 10 years ago, you didn't have to pay more than $1000 to get the top-end GPU, which actually had some great generational increases. CPUs and RAM are at a good spot now, but GPUs have seen some terrible progress in the last three years when it comes to the price/performance ratio, at the entire range.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

Yeah, as others have said, it's still an Alpha, they haven't started optimization. I imagine the ram requires will go down as development goes on.

4 hours ago, b737800 said:

XBOX doesn't have the issue of needing to run a bloated OS.

On the other hand, in the Xbox One the RAM is shared between the CPU and GPU, unlike PCs which have separate pools of RAM for each one. If the Xbox Series X follows the same concept, the 16GB of RAM will also be shared. Which means they will need to get the RAM requirements down in order to run on the console.

I agree that the final system requirements will almost certainly be lower.

It’s not going to be 32 minimum. Red dead redemption 2 on PC is 8 minimum and only 12 recommended. It’s still the video card that matters most. Recommended for read dead redemption is 1070. That’s not cheap. 

I think people are used to the poorly optimized sims we have right now.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

For myself , i still want to have more data on this 32 gb requirement for the alpha approval. Still sounds to much like echo chamber placebo effect in the forum.

Vincent Rouleau

AMD Ryzen 7950X3d / 32.0GB G.SKILL Neo DDR5 6000 / Gigabyte  GeForce® RTX 4080 16Gig / / Samsung C49RG9 49' /ASUS  PB287QQ ‑ 27" UHD / AGAMMIX 2TB / Samsung 970 PRO 1TB /  PNY SSD 1TB / Windows 11 / Gigabyte B650M Elite Motherboard

On 1/15/2020 at 2:28 PM, ChaoticBeauty said:

but GPUs have seen some terrible progress in the last three years when it comes to the price/performance ratio, at the entire range.

I'm afraid of what a rtx 3080ti will cost.  I'm looking to get one for this sim.

MSFS Alpha tester on W10 Pro x64. Hardware: AMD 5900X 12 core CPU. Cooler Master ML360R AIO, Asus X570-E mobo, Asus Strix 3090 24GB gfx card, G.Skill TridentZ 64GB (4x16) DDR4-3600 RAM, Samsung 970 250GB SSD (OS), Samsung 980 Pro 1TB M.2 pcie-4 NVMe SSD (MSFS install). EVGA 850w Gold cert PSU, CUK Continuum full ATX tower.  43" Sceptre 4K display. VR: HP Reverb G2.

4 minutes ago, Brandon0110 said:

I'm afraid of what a rtx 3080ti will cost.  I'm looking to get one for this sim.

Rumours suggested that the two top-end Ampere cards would be slightly reduced in price (with the rest of the line-up remaining at the same price points), but now that GDDR6 is in big demand, it is expected that all GPU prices will rise soon. Let's hope that this time we will have good generational gains at least.

9 hours ago, ChaoticBeauty said:

Rumours suggested that the two top-end Ampere cards would be slightly reduced in price (with the rest of the line-up remaining at the same price points), but now that GDDR6 is in big demand, it is expected that all GPU prices will rise soon. Let's hope that this time we will have good generational gains at least.

Let's just hope AMD can bring some decent competition to the high end of the market, like they have finally managed with Intel. Competition is what drives down prices, and currently Nvidia is untouchable.

Bernard

13 hours ago, Brandon0110 said:

Why get a 3080ti if a 2080 can run it at 60fps 4K?

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, viz said:

Let's just hope AMD can bring some decent competition to the high end of the market, like they have finally managed with Intel. Competition is what drives down prices, and currently Nvidia is untouchable.

Now that their Zen CPUs have been quite successful, they probably have more money to fund R&D on GPU architectures (the Vega and Navi architectures were quite limited by the R&D). However high-end Navi is probably getting released in early 2021 (roadmaps showed it getting released after Zen 3, which is coming in Q4 2020). I think that eventually they will be a lot more competitive, but it will take time to get there.

3 hours ago, Noooch said:

Why get a 3080ti if a 2080 can run it at 60fps 4K?

The RTX 2080 Ti could run the simulator in 4K at 30-40 FPS, so unless further optimisation brings some huge GPU performance gains (such a benefit is unlikely), you'll need a tier above for 60 FPS.

Edited by ChaoticBeauty

1 hour ago, ChaoticBeauty said:

The RTX 2080 Ti could run the simulator in 4K at 30-40 FPS, so unless further optimisation brings some huge GPU performance gains (such a benefit is unlikely), you'll need a tier above for 60 FPS.

I think you’ll probably be correct. Although not always the case, optimisation often means that a game will run better on lower spec systems rather than making a significant difference on high-end machines.

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit