Sign in to follow this  
Dominique_K

Perplexed about the SDK

Only 3rd party development partners will have access to the SDK in which they will be able to create and edit airports, sceneries, planes and missions.

Do they mean the early SDK or the final SDK ? 

I sure hope that all the simming community will be able to design stuff according to known specs and have bridges to add their creations to the sim. This has been so far and still should be unseparable from the flying experience.

Looking forward to some clarification here.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

They've said that they want feedback, suggestions etc. by the people who "work" with this SDK. Since this SDK is still in development, too it would IMHO not ne the best way to release it to everybody...

• Like 2
  • Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, flym. said:

They've said that they want feedback, suggestions etc. by the people who "work" with this SDK. Since this SDK is still in development, too it would IMHO not ne the best way to release it to everybody...

I agree with that. The early SDK shouldn't be released to anybody. But the final SDK should . And the formulation is not clear enough in the last update.

• Like 1

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

Sure hope there will be an SDK, or even better a set of built-in tools , to be used by freeware developers. Freeware has been the backbone of this hobby, and a great way for future payware developers to cut their teeth. But from the looks of it there will be a limited need for freeware this time around, as the base package seems to be better than ever in terms of scenery and aircraft at least. 

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Simmerhead - Making the virtual skies unsafe since 1987! 

it is clear enough, they are talking about the test version and it makes sense that it is given to the main users of it, third parties.

Chock 1.1: "The only thing that whines louder than a jet engine is a flight simmer."

What I've gathered so far is that they've been testing early versions of the SDK with some third-party developers, but now with the Alpha, all third-party developers they've partnered with will be able to test that version. Right after that, they said that they can't wait to see what both third-party developers and content creators do with the SDK, which suggests it will be open to everyone in the end.

SDK won't be final at this stage yet most probably. They will just want to hear feedback from the selected devs outside the main dev team, which makes total sense. And of course, this cannot be open to everybody. Deal with the feedback is also a major task and has to be done in a good fashion way.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Beru said:

SDK won't be final at this stage yet most probably. They will just want to hear feedback from the selected devs outside the main dev team, which makes total sense. And of course, this cannot be open to everybody. Deal with the feedback is also a major task and has to be done in a good fashion way.

You could give access to anyone, but only regard feedback from devs. But then again, there might be a potential leak, which is just not necessary.

Happy with MSFS 🙂
home simming evolved

1 hour ago, simmerhead said:

Sure hope there will be an SDK, or even better a set of built-in tools , to be used by freeware developers. Freeware has been the backbone of this hobby, and a great way for future payware developers to cut their teeth. But from the looks of it there will be a limited need for freeware this time around, as the base package seems to be better than ever in terms of scenery and aircraft at least. 

Maybe not the same type of freeware, we'll know when we see a small airfield out in the boondocks but certainly a vast scope will open for landmarks, customized buildings etc.

Dominique

It still looks to me the Content Creators ( I am guessing they mean freeware ) could add a lot of value in scenery in remote areas, even if Bing Maps & Azure do a really good job, on a remote airport, we might want to add more to it. And not to mention Missions, hopefully we will have a Workshop and a GUI Tool at some point, and now with the Soundscape Episode we will apparently be able to add sounds to airport vehicles I guess, etc, etc... I can wait just hope they give us all the tools along with the SDK to help us out, or a 3rd party makes them.

I hope to see something like the Pro Mission Tool, we had at one time, or even better and easier to use than it!

Edited by in2tech
  • Like 1

"Coffee, if your not shaking, you need another cup"
Flight Sim Break Discord Channel: https://discord.com/invite/fCV62Ka2QZ

Nothing to worry about honestly. Its an early stage of the sdk so understandably they want people who know their way around these things to have the first crack at it. Everyone will be able to get their hands on the sdk eventually.

• Like 1

5800X3D. 32 GB RAM. 1TB SATA SSD. 3TB HDD. RTX 3070 Ti.

9 minutes ago, Krakin said:

Nothing to worry about honestly. Its an early stage of the sdk so understandably they want people who know their way around these things to have the first crack at it. Everyone will be able to get their hands on the sdk eventually.

🤞😉

Dominique

I agree the final version should be available to everyone. Additionally I‘d love to see an easy-to-use tool that allows us to place and remove objects so we can clean up the scenery where Azure messed up. 

• Upvote 1

i9-11900K, RTX 4090, 32 GB ram, Honeycomb Alpha and Bravo, TCA Airbus sidestick and quadrant, Reverb G2

Yes I think it's an early version, and although they put an email address to contact them if we are 3rd party dev, I am still debating with myself if I must send them a note about being part of the early SDK access as a scenery developer since FS98... Or wait for the full SDK...

I am a freeware developer and I certainly not a "partner". 

And I am almost certain they will reply nicely with a "No".

Scenery for Flight Simulators since 1998