Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Wobbie

Donations to Avsim

Guys, Avsim is on 7% of the requested $25 000.00 (for the last week)!! That's a total of $1 705.00 donated so far.

Whereas Sim-Outhouse has reached 82% of it's requested $10 000.00! with a total of $8 210.00 reached.

Avsim is reputably (by it's members) regarded as THE virtual aviation site to go to, 

Forum posts are interesting to compare..MS franchise forums only!!

AVSIM                SOH       Flightsim

MSFS        37 461                 565             516

FSX         817 589          449 628       289 671

FS2004   154 551          135 434       276 662

P3D         298 700            28 000           9 392

TOTAL:  1 308 301          613 627        576 241

So, why the support resistance for Avsim, with more than twice the number of forum posts of No.2 in forum posts?

Robin

"Onward & Upward" ...
To the Stars, & Beyond... 

Guest nazethc

Why would I donate to a website that generates ad revenue?

@Wobbie   Have you donated yet?  If you have donated anonymously, Thank you!:happy:

Charlie Aron

AVSIM Board of Directors-Moderator-Registrar

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool:

Guest nazethc

So avsim is CPC ? Or is it per 1000 views without clicks?  

I'm unfortunately, not one of the 41 that have, out of the MS 1 308 301 forum posters.

There are 1 308 260 who can still. 

Robin

"Onward & Upward" ...

I wish I could donate. I visit this site almost every day and I search regularly to solve issues. Overall, I'd be pretty much lost and my flight sim experience would be greatly diminished if it wasn't for the Avsim community and library. Sadly, I'm on a fixed income and I simply don't have the extra 💰 to make a donation. 😢

1 hour ago, nazethc said:

Why would I donate to a website that generates ad revenue?

You don't have a clue do you? What a stupid comment. I'm the top donor here and I do it for two reasons...1, I think this is the best flight-sim site on the web, and 2, I use an ad blocker. How much of a contribution have you made? I'll bet I can guess.......................

Intel 10700K @ 5.1Ghz, Asus Hero Maximus motherboard, Noctua NH-U12A cooler, Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB 3200 MHz RAM, RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, 100TB of disk storage. Klaatu barada nickto.

Compliments for your $200 donation.

Well, we are all entitled to our own opinions of which site we regard as the best.

I'm using Edge Chromium without any ad blockers, without any issues. However, Avsim cannot be everything for everybody, and obviously, the financial support shows that.

As, I'm sure you are aware, there are many great freeware developers that do not release their addons here, a pity, but not everyone flies tubes, which has become the majority of the new addons in the library. So, there are those that support the sites that host those developers.

Anyhow, Avsim is obviously the best for you, and you show it with your regular contributions. Avsim needs a lot more that feel the same way that you do.. 

Robin

"Onward & Upward" ...

1 hour ago, BEARlyThereCDN said:

Sadly, I'm on a fixed income and I simply don't have the extra 💰 to make a donation. 😢

Being in the same boat myself, while I cannot donate I do volunteer my time to help moderate and administer the forums here.

Most months I can barely afford to pay attention... :laugh:

Sadly, I'm most like my car; old, tired and exhausted!

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

The point of this thread is what the OP want`s  member`s  to donate on his behalf, (retired pensioner on a fixed income myself) 

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg

Actually, the point of this thread is NOT to want members to donate on any bodies behalf, except their own. 

As the OP, I should know what the point of this thread is. 

Robin

"Onward & Upward" ...

19 minutes ago, n4gix said:

Being in the same boat myself, while I cannot donate I do volunteer my time to help moderate and administer the forums here.

Most months I can barely afford to pay attention... :laugh:

Sadly, I'm most like my car; old, tired and exhausted!

And I'm sure we all appreciate that Fr. Bill. There is always more than one way to contribute..........Doug

Intel 10700K @ 5.1Ghz, Asus Hero Maximus motherboard, Noctua NH-U12A cooler, Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB 3200 MHz RAM, RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, 100TB of disk storage. Klaatu barada nickto.

I have donated for the last several years, and I am planning to do so again, but I have been holding back this year so far. The main reason is the new donation system. "Donor badge from 3-9 months" sounds like a bean counter approach to me and certainly doesn't inspire me to donate money for the noble cause to keep this great site going. 

I also find the suggested amounts a bit steep. With 1,300,000 members, if only 0.1% donated $10 (near the lower end of the suggested amounts), Avsim would already get half of their goal and more than the goal of Sim Outhouse. I am happy to carry my share of the burden, but I think smaller donations should be appreciated as well. 

Another reason is the fundraising goal. When I started to donate, it was around $10,000, I think. Then it went up to $36,000 and is now at $25,000. Sim Outhouse seems still to be fine with the $10,000. There are probably good reasons for this fundraising goal. However, if I don't know these reasons, I start to do estimates myself and get to much lower requirements, about as much as Sim Outhouse requires.

Peter

4 hours ago, qqwertzde said:

if only 0.1% donated $10 (near the lower end of the suggested amounts), Avsim would already get half of their goal and more than the goal of Sim Outhouse. I am happy to carry my share of the burden, but I think smaller donations should be appreciated as well. 

I am a big believer in small donations being made by large numbers of users. With only half of the 240000+ users donating $1 each....you see what I mean. 

There are a lot of high volume comment posters on Avsim that have never donated any amount. This, to me, is unconscionable. 

3 hours ago, yurei said:

I am a big believer is small donations being made by large numbers of users. With only half of the 240000+ users donating $1 each....you see what I mean. 

So true. Thanks Yurei, you just inspired me to finally submit my annual donation. Regardless of whether I like the current donation system or not, Avsim is still a great community, run by volunteers who deserve our support.

Thanks to all moderators and other Avsim Executives for their hard work.

Peter 

• Tom Allensworth,
    Founder of AVSIM Online

• Flight Simulation's Premier Resource!

AVSIM is a free service to the flight simulation community. AVSIM is staffed completely by volunteers and all funds donated to AVSIM go directly back to supporting the community. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. Thank you for your support!

Click here for more information and to see all donations year to date.