Sign in to follow this  
mjrhealth

Xplane 11.5B3

54 minutes ago, Colonel X said:

No crashes or anomalies here. But it's a reminder of how awful X-Plane's vanilla sky / atmosphere rendering is. Without the tweaks we got used to, it's so ugly I have to force quit almost every flight at some point. Let's hope the X-Enviro update comes soon.

Could be worse, could be using prepared 3D V5 😉 

• Like 1

Vulkan was needed, a step in the right direction, will help framerates, yes, however XP is still the ugliest default sim, needs 3rd party addons to look halfway decent, whatever causes the default dull tint needs to go ASAP, all the fixes through the years and it still looks like it's the 90's in XP world, 

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, jymp said:

whatever causes the default dull tint needs to go ASAP

Unfortunately for you the owner of Laminar Research is a real pilot - as are quite a few of his team members - and they will go with what is real and normal for the most part of the world, instead of what people are used to from "other" platforms. 😉

There are mods and addons to change X-Plane to what people believe the world looks like from a cockpit, but I don´t think the default sim will start looking like Fortnite in the future...

Jan

• Like 8

I've flown plenty, and the default isn't close to reality, but if you like it that's great, hey could be by design to give business to addon devs.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jymp said:

I've flown plenty, and the default isn't close to reality, but if you like it that's great, hey could be by design to give business to addon devs.

Well, we can agree to disagree, I think 😉

And yes - I think its great if addons give people the flexibility to alter X-Plane any way they like. Whatever floats your boat, I say!

Cheers, Jan

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Janov said:

Unfortunately for you the owner of Laminar Research is a real pilot - as are quite a few of his team members - and they will go with what is real and normal for the most part of the world, instead of what people are used to from "other" platforms. 😉

This is not a comparison with avsim users but in general, being a pilot doesn't mean you know everything or are even capable of how to better represent what you experience.
On the other hand, that same pilot was also the one claiming that XP default clouds were great and then, when trying xEnviro, said that the same XP default clouds were horrible in comparison. Things change, things evolve. You can be certain that XP12 won't have this color palette and lighting.

• Upvote 1

Chock 1.1: "The only thing that whines louder than a jet engine is a flight simmer."

22 hours ago, jymp said:

Vulkan was needed, a step in the right direction, will help framerates, yes, however XP is still the ugliest default sim, needs 3rd party addons to look halfway decent, whatever causes the default dull tint needs to go ASAP, all the fixes through the years and it still looks like it's the 90's in XP world, 

P3D or FSX look a lot more ugly in the default to my eyes. And the colors and tint or fog are a matter of taste. With free Ortho and X-Europe, X-Plane looks far better than anything else. "We can agree to disagree."

• Like 4
  • Upvote 2

FSX/P3D & XPlane are ugly without add-ons!

They can be beautiful with the right add-ons!

You just have to be willing to pay the price to get them or to find the freeware. I have some XP11 freeware airports that blow away some P3D v4 airports.

There are some talented devs on all these sim platforms.

A pilot is always learning and I LOVE to learn.

FSX and P3D are abandonware, of course they are even worse.

Edited by Colonel X

-

Belligerent X-Plane 12 enthusiast on Apple M1 Max 64GB

51 minutes ago, Colonel X said:

Abandonware? 

21 hours ago, Janov said:

Well, we can agree to disagree, I think 😉

I have to disagree as well, sorry. Default XP coloration and general atmospherics absolutely do not resemble real life, at least in most cases. XP has always has always had a strange washed-out look and an odd yellow tint, that some polluted areas of the world may have, but overall it is not how the world really looks, whether you're a pilot or not. Xvision, and other apps could be overused, but for the most part they made XP look far more realistic, with some subtle changes. 11.5b3 does seem to have lost most of the odd tint however, so I'm not hankering so much for xVision, and it is certainly running very well, even on my old 1060 6GB, pegging 60fps over Orbx TE in rural areas. Lots more testing to do, but so far so good.

3 hours ago, Colonel X said:

FSX SP2 was upgraded FSX Steam and then MS and who knows what they want to improve.

P3D is up to v4 and v5 is about to be released with DX12 support.

Far from abandonware, but I understand what you mean.

A pilot is always learning and I LOVE to learn.