Sign in to follow this  
PilotPete99

Time to eat crow

So, I went on a rant last week about PMDG’s pricing policies, and while I still don’t fully agree with them, I decided to purchase the 737 NGXu. I must say that the plane is fantastic. I am finding myself becoming addicted to it. Although I can’t completely identify the differences between the NGXu and the old NGX, there is just something about it. In any event, I surrender. Was I happy to spend another $125? Not particularly, but I don’t regret it.

Cheers, Pete

• Like 6

Pete Solov - Lake in the Hills 3CK

and Schaumburg Regional 06C
Proud AOPA Member - PPL 2001
Real World Piper Cherokee Pilot

I keep teetering on the buy button. I should have picked it up before January 1st..My mistake! 

Intel I7 12700KF / 32 GB Ram-3600mhz / Windows 11 - 64 bit / NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060TI / 32" Acer Monitor, Honeycomb alpha/bravo, CH rudder pedals, Tobii 5, Buttkicker, Logitech radio panel. 

2 minutes ago, flyinpilot212121 said:

I keep teetering on the buy button. I should have picked it up before January 1st..My mistake! 

Yeah I screwed that up too. Oh well, you live and learn.

Cheers, Pete

2 hours ago, PilotPete99 said:

So, I went on a rant last week about PMDG’s pricing policies, and while I still don’t fully agree with them, I decided to purchase the 737 NGXu. I must say that the plane is fantastic.

"So" ... consider that beginning a sentence with "So" adds nothing to the content - it's fine without the "So".

But, to the point, why would anyone buy the 737 NGXu simulation for P3Dv4, now that P3Dv5  is upon us?  It's not yer daddy's P3Dv4 anymore.  Your money, but, why?

• Upvote 1

Because the NGXu will be a free upgrade for v5 and reportedly works in v5 currently if you’re willing to do a few unsupported things. 

Dave

Current System (Running at 4k): ASUS ROG STRIX X670E-F, Ryzen 7800X3D, RTX 4080, 55" Samsung Q80T, 32GB DDR5 6000 RAM, EVGA CLC 280mm AIO Cooler, HP Reverb G2, Brunner CLS-E NG Yoke, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS & Stick, Thrustmaster TCA Quadrant & Add-on, VirtualFly Ruddo+, TQ6+ and Yoko+, GoFlight MCP-PRO and EFIS, Skalarki FCU and MCDU

55 minutes ago, Nobody2020 said:

"So" ... consider that beginning a sentence with "So" adds nothing to the content - it's fine without the "So".

But, to the point, why would anyone buy the 737 NGXu simulation for P3Dv4, now that P3Dv5  is upon us?  It's not yer daddy's P3Dv4 anymore.  Your money, but, why?

He will get a free update for v5...

FAA: ATP-ME

Matt kubanda

Getting back to Pete's point, I purchased their NGX for FS9, FSX, P3D and now holding off on NGXu. If I succumb and buy it for v4 or v5, that's four times bought.  Then full price again for MSFS since I wasn't an early bird on their offer.  Their marketing strategy is their business, but it just doesn't come across as customer friendly.

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, PilotPete99 said:

Although I can’t completely identify the differences between the NGXu and the old NGX, there is just something about it. In any event, I surrender. 

Cheers, Pete

Thank goodness only $125 for no differences. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

26 minutes ago, Doug47 said:

I probably should clarify. It is definitely better than the old NGX, I just don’t exactly know why. Ahh, your right!

Cheers, Pete

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Doug47 said:

"can’t completely identify the differences" isn't the same thing as "no differences." 

But then you already knew that, Jon...

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

34 minutes ago, PilotPete99 said:

I probably should clarify. It is definitely better than the old NGX, I just don’t exactly know why. Ahh, your right!

Cheers, Pete

Of course we all knew that. 👍

And a zillion times better then a WeirdBus. 😉

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, PilotPete99 said:

So, I went on a rant last week about PMDG’s pricing policies, and while I still don’t fully agree with them, I decided to purchase the 737 NGXu. I must say that the plane is fantastic. I am finding myself becoming addicted to it. Although I can’t completely identify the differences between the NGXu and the old NGX, there is just something about it. In any event, I surrender. Was I happy to spend another $125? Not particularly, but I don’t regret it.

Cheers, Pete

Because of their pricing policy and customer service, I haven't bought a PMDG addon since FS9 - doesn't matter to me how good they are. 

20 minutes ago, Ricardo41 said:

Because of their pricing policy and customer service, I haven't bought a PMDG addon since FS9 - doesn't matter to me how good they are. 

I can understand that..However in saying that, I do very much enjoy their products and they make up a good portion of my time spent in the sim..so for me it’s one of those cost vs value/usage type thing, I feel I get my money’s worth out of the cost. As for their supposed not so great customer service, I’ve never really had a huge need to use their customer service to be honest.

• Like 2

Intel I7 12700KF / 32 GB Ram-3600mhz / Windows 11 - 64 bit / NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060TI / 32" Acer Monitor, Honeycomb alpha/bravo, CH rudder pedals, Tobii 5, Buttkicker, Logitech radio panel. 

2 hours ago, Ricardo41 said:

The problem is that means you’re missing out on the best Boeings in FSX/P3D. The 737/747/777 are just great, great planes.

I hate some of the staff attitudes displayed over on the PMDG forum (cough...Kyle), but the product is darn good so imho they’re still worth buying.

As for the price - expensive, but the NGXu gets flown so much that for me and many others, it represents very good value.

• Upvote 1

Oz

xdQCeNi.jpg   puHyX98.jpg

Sim Rig: MSI RTX3090 Suprim, an old, partly-melted Intel 9900K @ 5GHz+, Honeycomb Alpha, Thrustmaster TPR Rudder, Warthog HOTAS, Reverb G2, Prosim 737 cockpit. 

Currently flying: MSFS: PMDG 737-700, Fenix A320, Leonardo MD-82, MIlviz C310, Flysimware C414AW, DC Concorde, Carenado C337. Prepar3d v5: PMDG 737/747/777.

"There are three simple rules for making a smooth landing. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are."

5 hours ago, curt1 said:

Getting back to Pete's point, I purchased their NGX for FS9, FSX, P3D and now holding off on NGXu. If I succumb and buy it for v4 or v5, that's four times bought.  Then full price again for MSFS since I wasn't an early bird on their offer.  Their marketing strategy is their business, but it just doesn't come across as customer friendly.

From 2004 till 2020 is also 16 years top notch Boeing’s on different platforms, I have no problem to support that!