Sign in to follow this  
Sesquashtoo

It seems Microsoft just played their subscription game hand.

41 minutes ago, Ixoye said:

Microsoft is not dumb, they will probably charge for online streaming on PC like they do for Xbox, you will be able to buy the game and play it offline, but if you want to use it for online streaming, you probably have to pay for a subscription.

Oh my god, which MS PC game need charge for an on-line streaming? It's only an another fake news...

Edited by ludekbrno

41 minutes ago, Christopher Low said:

Can I please request that everyone give Mitch a break? He posted what he believed to be updated information. Whether he is right or wrong in that assumption does not give the rest of you the right to start blasting him. Give the guy some respect.

He is refusing to disclose the source though, and immediately goes on to present it as a fact and claiming that people will return to Prepar3D after these "news". While I know it is not, this is dangerously close to a trolling/misinformation attempt. Even the thread's title was designed to immediately attract attention in a negative way. This is more than just an assumption.

• Like 8
  • Upvote 3

57 minutes ago, goates said:

Xbox Live Gold is not needed for online multiplayer for any of Microsoft’s PC games. It will likely be needed for the Xbox version of the sim, however, as the Xbox has long required it for multiplayer.

2 hours ago, Jazznow said:

If you Play on xbox you will probably (very likely) Need Gold for multiplayer. But that is a xbox only Service. You dont Need Gold to Play any mucrosoft games in multiplayer on pc. 

Fyi: I have the game pass subcripzion for pc and i owned an xbox and hat Xbox Gold in the past. 

Thank you both for the clarification.. Weird that  MS has a different pricing according to the user hardware and in a way discriminates against the console user. 

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

33 minutes ago, Christopher Low said:

Can I please request that everyone give Mitch a break? He posted what he believed to be updated information. Whether he is right or wrong in that assumption does not give the rest of you the right to start blasting him. Give the guy some respect.

It was not clear at first that this post originated in the P3D forum. Now knowing that, I better understand how there could be some confusion and misunderstanding. @Sesquashtoo is one of the most entertaining folks around. I genuinely do appreciate his enthusiasm for whichever platform he has chosen as the best thing ever...this week 😉 (Thus the reference to hyperbole, Mitch...and I don't say that as a slight toward you. It is what makes your posts fun to read...seriously, that sort of positivity is sorely lacking in a lot of places.)

Chris

7 minutes ago, Dominique_K said:

Thank you both for the clarification.. Weird that  MS has a different pricing according to the user hardware and in a way discriminates against the console user. 

Different markets. Other than online MMO type games, such as World of Warcraft, online multiplayer has always been free for PC games. If Microsoft tried to change this while none of the other PC publishers or developers did, they would be hung out to dry by the gaming community. Microsoft could have tried with the PC releases of Halo and Gears of War, two of their flagship titles, but didn't. On the console, it was one additional method to make money as console hardware was often sold at a loss and profits made from a cut of the game licensing and sales.

• Like 2

For reference for those not familiar with Xbox Game Pass for the PC, see the FAQ at the bottom of the site below.

https://www.xbox.com/en-CA/xbox-game-pass/pc-games

Do I need Xbox Live Gold to play online multiplayer games on PC?

No, you do not need Xbox Live Gold. There is no additional charge to play online multiplayer on PC. You will need a wired or wireless Internet connection to play online.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sesquashtoo said:

and Rob does make a very impactful addition to this thread...in that he invited whom he was in PM contact with to publicly post exactly that...hard worded...no misunderstanding from then there on...that you WILL be able to make a choice of a subscription based (with perceived benefits for choosing that), or a one time purchase cost to run the sim, and access their supporting cloud net work.  To date...as he pointed out...(most likely monitoring all the other available avenues that we don't have, but him...) that M.S. based contact has NOT DONE SO.  Why not? That is what I ask myself...as Rob is asking himself.  Why not?

I'm sorry, but this just  rubs me wrong. Who crowned Rob king? Since Microsoft dropped the bomb on the flight sim world last June (like covid-19 has dropped the bomb on my pilot career), his tone towards anything Microsoft reads like someone who's feelings were hurt that they weren't invited to a party. Maybe that's just my perception, I certainly hope so. But implying that some super secret inside source go on record about a pricing strategy likely that hasn't been finalized, not to mention that this source may most likely not be authorized to discuss, is naive at best, but really just sounds like someone with an ax to grind.

I get that lack of certainty causes stress for someone whose income may be impacted by a sudden paradigm shift...believe me, as a relatively new commercial pilot, I get it! Passionate people will have to find a way to pivot and keep pursuing their passion.

Edited by snglecoil
  • Like 10
  • Upvote 1

Chris

@Rob_Ainscough I have heard rumours that P3D 5.1 will only be available if you provide proof that you own both a duck and a pig and your surname starts with a "H". So far, I haven't read anything on P3D website that disproves this assumption. That fuels speculation. I wonder why they dont deny this when all they needed to do was to update their website denying said claim. I'm gonna start a thread in the P3D forum "LM confirms? P3D 5.1 only for duck and pig owners!!!?", see how long it lasts....

Edited by MagentaChild
  • Like 14
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, MagentaChild said:

@Rob_Ainscough I have heard rumours that P3D 5.1 will only be available if you provide proof that you own both a duck and a pig and your surname starts with a "H". So far, I haven't read anything on P3D website that disproves this assumption. That fuels speculation. I wonder why they dont deny this when all they needed to do was to update their website denying said claim. I'm gonna start a thread in the P3D forum "LM confirms? P3D 5.1 only for duck and pig owners!!!?", see how long it lasts....

Yeah, looks like an LM business model.. Kind of 🙂

• Like 1

Tomáš Pokorný

sign.php?call=160   signature-dark.png

SYSTEM -> CPU: Intel Core i7-8700K @ 5.0 GHz | GPU: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1080 Ti @ 2027 MHz | RAM: 2x8 GB G.Skill Trident RGB 3200 MHz | MOBO: AsRock Z370 Extreme 4 | SSD: Kingston 256 GB, Samsung 860 EVO 1 TB | HDD: Western Digital 1 TB | CPU COOLER: Corsair H115i | CASE: Corsair Obsidian Series 750D | PSU: Seasonic Focus Gold 750W 

EQUIPMENT -> YOKE: Saitek Pro Flight Yoke System + Throttle Quadrant, Saitek X52 | RUDDER PEDALS: Saitek Pedals | CAMERA: TrackIR 5

15 hours ago, Sesquashtoo said:

So WarpD, you support  Forum Content Censorship?   Locking a thread is just that.   What's wrong with people discussing ANY topic, as long as it doesn't contravene respect  and/or personal attack?  A topic should not be recommended to be LOCKED, merely because it vexes the one suggesting it be.  Others, might enjoy the interaction. 

No.. you're beating a dead, misleading horse.  As I stated (and you apparently missed)... this has already been discussed in this very forum.

• Like 3

Ed Wilson

Mindstar Aviation
My Playland - I69

I was contacted privately by myself and I told me, after mutually reassuring ourselves of what important persons we were, that some people probably shouldn't drive up to a stop sign, because they will just sit there until someone from the department for traffic laws privately tells them to drive on.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Christopher Low said:

No, you can't. I'm sure he is 100% capable in defending himself.

If he can't defend what he wrote, then he should t be writing things at all until he's done his homework. Plain and simple.

FAA: ATP-ME

Matt kubanda

42 minutes ago, Rob_Ainscough said:

I know it's NOT true also, but only because I was contacted by someone at Microsoft privately ... they still have NOT establish any "official", as in from a Microsoft owned and operated website, to clarify subscription concerns.  So far some have suggested Microsoft haven't done this because they want to push the sales of Game Pass, fair enough (seems like a pretty good deal for $10-$15/mo).  But linking to some interview replicated across several other web sites that aren't owned and operated by Microsoft isn't "official".  What I find bizarre here is that some (certainly not all) don't want this information to be provide in any "official" capacity?  It would eliminate threads just like this and all the drama that goes with it ... maybe drama is viewed as a positive in terms of "product attention".

If this is directed towards me, I was invited to both parties (there is more than one) ... what's the relevant context here, if any?

This is not context relevant and a bad analogy ... is the lack of clarity from Microsoft's owned and operated website, specifically here: https://www.xbox.com/en-US/games/microsoft-flight-simulator  (this isn't "rumor") ... if you see the words "Can purchase without game pass" or "subscription not required" or anything on this web page the indicates one could use MSFS without a Game Pass subscription ... a web page that is OWNED by Microsoft and hence "official"?  This is what triggered the confusion for many (not just me) ... if you can find another "official" Microsoft owned and operated source indicating otherwise, then please do share.  Like I keep saying, my only official MS information came to me privately ... so obviously it's somewhat of a sensitive subject since MS bothered to contact me on it.  I'm glad they provided me with clarity, but why not extend that to everyone?  Is clarity a bad thing?

Cheers, Rob.

Sigh, not this again. You've been told how gamepass works and that it says the same on any game Microsoft own. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Rob_Ainscough said:

This is not context relevant and a bad analogy ... is the lack of clarity from Microsoft's owned and operated website, specifically here: https://www.xbox.com/en-US/games/microsoft-flight-simulator  (this isn't "rumor") ... if you see the words "Can purchase without game pass" or "subscription not required" or anything on this web page the indicates one could use MSFS without a Game Pass subscription ... a web page that is OWNED by Microsoft and hence "official"?  This is what triggered the confusion for many (not just me) ... if you can find another "official" Microsoft owned and operated source indicating otherwise, then please do share.  Like I keep saying, my only official MS information came to me privately ... so obviously it's somewhat of a sensitive subject since MS bothered to contact me on it.  I'm glad they provided me with clarity, but why not extend that to everyone?  Is clarity a bad thing?

Cheers, Rob.

The question can be the opposite too, does somewhere exist an official information, "you will need a subscription, otherwise you will get only an incomplete game"? MSFS is presented with an on-line streaming scenery, weather, air traffic etc. from the beginning, as an integral parts of this game. Without this, MSFS will be very incomplete. And at the same time they declare, that you may buy MSFS as one-time purchase or Xbox game pass subscription. So I think, if there doesn't exist information "you need subscription", it's much more logical, that you don't need, but still get a complete game (streaming include). Like every another PC games in Xbox game pass, which are complete too, even you buy it in one-time purchase.

Edited by ludekbrno
better translation to english :-)
  • Like 1

Why is this going on until page 9?

Edited by RALF9636
  • Like 3
  • Upvote 2